MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Buffering Issues with MinimServer and Raspberry Pi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm new to MinimServer and put it in on a Raspberry Pi3 and am using it in conjunction with a Linn Majik DSM and Linn Kazoo. I'm noticing that a lot of times, the music needs to buffer with my high res (192/24bit) files. Can't go more than 8 seconds before needing to buffer. Does anybody have any similar issues/experiences with running MinimServer on a Pi?

Thanks!
This is probably caused by the Raspberry Pi sharing the Ethernet connection with the USB connections internally. If your library is on a USB-attached drive, MinimServer is reading data from the drive and streaming data on the Ethernet connection simultaneously. The RPi can handle this for a low-resolution stream but the USB bus gets overloaded for a high-resolution stream.
Thanks simoncn. I thought the same thing so i moved the HiRes files onto the SD card that Minimserver is installed on, and the streaming issues still occurred.
I would not be surprised if the SD card has a slow I/O speed. Another possibility is that your network connection can't cope with hi-res bandwidth. Yet another possibility is that the CPU is overloaded, but with a Pi3 this seems unlikely.
(01-04-2017 18:14)surfndspin Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks simoncn. I thought the same thing so i moved the HiRes files onto the SD card that Minimserver is installed on, and the streaming issues still occurred.

Consider an Odroid by Hardkernel. It has separate network and USB controller and the network is gigabit. It is similarly priced.

Note also that the rated bandwidth is theoretical and you should divide it by two to compensate for overhead. You effectively have 25mbit bandwith (100 divided by two, and the remaining 50mbit is again divided by two between USB and the network.

I'm not 100% certain but it could be that the card reader in the Pi also shares the same USB controller. But it can certainly be the bandwith of the card as most mini-/micro USB cards have upload speeds of less than 20mbits.
Reference URL's