MinimServer Forum

Full Version: First part of tracks get skipped
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I've a relatively large library of tracks (38000+) store on my Melco N1 NAS. For some albums, using Minimserver, it takes 10-20 seconds to start/load a track resulting in the first 10-20 seconds of that track being skipped.

I've played the problematic tracks using Foobar2000 and VLC from the same Melco NAS library without a flaw. But when I use Minimserver I experience the problem as described above.

I first noticed the problem using Minimserver at my Melco appliance. To decide if this was a Melco or Minimserver problem I've tested VLC/Foobar2000/Minimserver at the same "W10 professional laptop" in all cases connecting to the same Melco library share. Only Minimserver causes the skipping of the start of some albumtracks.

MinimServer 0.8.4 update 97
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_121+1-aarch32-b13)

Is there an explanation for this behaviour? Is it possible to avoid this behaviour? Or is this just a bug?

Kind regards,
Jan
Please confirm whether or not the problem is occurring when you are running MinimServer on your Windows PC, using the Melco library as a network share.

What format are the files (e.g., FLAC, MP3, AIFF)? Do you have MinimStreamer transcoding enabled?

You said that the problem occurs with some albums. Is there any pattern to which albums are showing the problem?
Also, the OP didn't mention what was being used as the UPnP renderer/player/streamer (ie, the Melco itself or something else) nor what UPnP control point was being used.

VLC & foobar2000 are normally used as audio file players with no UPnP/DLNA involvement, so (without any further info as to how they were set up with respect to UPnP/DLNA streaming, if anything), comparing their playback to a UPnP/DLNA audio file streaming setup (such as one using MinimServer as the UPnP media server) isn't likely to mean or reveal anything.
Hi Simon and Cebola,

In all cases I played the tracks not using my Melco as an UpNP/DLNA renderer but playing the 24/44.1 FLAC tracks locally at my W10 laptop without transcoding.

BUT:
Qobuz, from where I downloaded the album/tracks, has replied on my message that the specific album contains errors and they are going to pull this album from there collection (and offered me a replacing album).

So I concider this problem an one-time thing caused by corrupted files instead of Minimserver not functioning correctly. Sorry for your troubles and thanks for your concerns.

Kind regards,
Jan de Ruijter
(10-03-2017 11:19)janderuijter Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simon and Cebola,

In all cases I played the tracks not using my Melco as an UpNP/DLNA renderer but playing the 24/44.1 FLAC tracks locally at my W10 laptop without transcoding.

BUT:
Qobuz, from where I downloaded the album/tracks, has replied on my message that the specific album contains errors and they are going to pull this album from there collection (and offered me a replacing album).

So I concider this problem an one-time thing caused by corrupted files instead of Minimserver not functioning correctly. Sorry for your troubles and thanks for your concerns.

Kind regards,
Jan de Ruijter

Just as an FYI, Foobar2000 can check a file for corruption (as can PerfectTunes by Illustrate software). I've also noticed that sometimes files can be corrupt but still play.
Indeed, VLC in particular is renound for its ability to be play 'broken' files and streams.
Reference URL's