MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Problems with RPi3 + Jessie 2017-02-16
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi All. Got a problem running minimserver with system in title.
I install Minimserver 0.8.4 as per instructions on web site then run setup to enable desktop integration and disable automatic startup. Reboot RPi3. Double click minimserver icon on desktop - red square with message that no content directory is set (no dialog box to ask for one). Set content directory via properties, stop and then exit minimserver. Restart minimserver from desktop and get yellow then green square - all OK and the MediaHousePro control point finds minimserver and the renderer. Stop then exit minimserver again. Minimserver will not restart again. Try to start it via CLI but get message that it can't remove two .so files in the /tmp/native folder. Try the stopall command only to be told that it can't stop minimserver even though I thought I'd stopped it manually - it even gives me minimserver's process number.
This is repeatable - reblowing a new RPi3 OS and reinstalling minimserver gives exactly the same results.
I'm obviously doing something stupid - please could someone in the know tell me what it is ?
Many Thanks.
Are you installing or configuring MinimServer when logged in with root privilege? It should be installed and configured as a regular user.
(06-03-2017 20:11)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Are you installing or configuring MinimServer when logged in with root privilege? It should be installed and configured as a regular user.

I login using the standard raspberry and pi username and password. The prompt is a $ sign, not #. Is that a regular user ? Apologies, but I've only had limited exposure to Linux.
Yes, this is a regular user (if you are not using sudo before any commands).

In your description, things appeared to go wrong at:

Stop then exit minimserver again. Minimserver will not restart again.

Are you stopping and exiting MinimServer from the minim icon?

How are you trying to restart MinimServer again? Is this from the desktop launch icon?

What is the exact symptom of "MinimServer will not restart again"?

When this happens, what is in the minimserver.log file in the minimserver/data directory?
(06-03-2017 23:26)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, this is a regular user (if you are not using sudo before any commands).

In your description, things appeared to go wrong at:

Stop then exit minimserver again. Minimserver will not restart again.

Are you stopping and exiting MinimServer from the minim icon?

How are you trying to restart MinimServer again? Is this from the desktop launch icon?

What is the exact symptom of "MinimServer will not restart again"?

When this happens, what is in the minimserver.log file in the minimserver/data directory?

I stop and exit from the minim icon.
I restart by double clicking the desktop icon.
When I double click the desktop icon the hour glass appears then disappears but that is all that happens. No minim icon appears.
The MinimServer.log file has only 9 lines of text. The last three are:
Starting minimserver[raspberrypi]
MinimServer: no valid content directory found
MinimServer error: now stopped,use restart or exit
Bit of extra info after playing around - once installed it works ok until I do a reboot (from the desktop). After that it stops working as described above.
On reboot a line of text appears very (very) briefly which says something about a "Fatal Module ..." - can't read more than that. Strange that the log only contains 9 lines of text. Before rebooting I successfully started and stopped the software 4 times.
I have a similar setup to you and MinimServer is working OK after a reboot.

Where do you see the message about "Fatal Module"? Is it in the console output before the desktop appears?

Edit: My setup isn't quite the same. I have an older version of Jessie. I will try this with the version that you are using.

Edit 2: I don't see the 2017-02-16 download. There are 2017-03-04 downloads for the Pixel and Lite versions of Jessie. Which of these versions are you using?
(07-03-2017 01:15)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]I have a similar setup to you and MinimServer is working OK after a reboot.

Where do you see the message about "Fatal Module"? Is it in the console output before the desktop appears?

Edit: My setup isn't quite the same. I have an older version of Jessie. I will try this with the version that you are using.

Edit 2: I don't see the 2017-02-16 download. There are 2017-03-04 downloads for the Pixel and Lite versions of Jessie. Which of these versions are you using?
The Fatal Module message occurs as the system closes prior to a reboot. A small amount of text appears at the bottom of the screen and disappears very quickly to be replaced by a full screen of text as the reboot commences.
The version of jessie that I downloaded and have been using is 2017-02-16-raspbian-jessie.img which was extracted from a zip file of the same name. The download page has now changed to offer 2017-03-02 as you say. I'll download this version and try it out. I'll let you know the results. Thanks for your help so far.
Are you using the Lite version of Jessie or the Pixel version?
(07-03-2017 10:38)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Are you using the Lite version of Jessie or the Pixel version?

I'm using PIXEL. Tried using Lite but no desktop & I'm not familiar enough with Linux syntax to manage without one !

I've installed jessie 2017-03-02 and minimserver and the system behaves exactly the same as before. Great before the reboot but nothing after.

On the first use of minimserver, should it show a dialog box to request the content folder ? This setup doesn't - I have to go into Properties from the "red square" to set this and then stop/exit/reboot to get the normal yellow - green square sequence. Everything then OK 'til next reboot.

Beginning to wonder if the difficult to read "Fatal.." message is something to do with a hardware problem. I'll get hold of a new RPi3 to test the theory. Will take a few days though.
The installation instructions are in this section. If you follow these steps, you will be prompted for the content directory and you won't see the red icon.

You can do it the other way as well, as you have been doing. After getting the red icon, you should open Properties, enter the contentDir value, then click Restart from the minim icon. You are doing Stop/Exit/reboot and this might be related to the problem you are having. I will try this to see what happens.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's