MinimServer Forum

Full Version: File Path and/or Name Length Issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've noticed that tracks with particularly long file paths will fail to play on my DLNA Amplifier (Yamaha RX-V2065) when served by MinimServer.

A couple of example files:

/share/Metal/Bandcamp/A Loathing Requiem - Psalms of Misanthropy (2016 Re-release)/A Loathing Requiem - Psalms of Misanthropy (2016 Re-release) - 01 Annihilation Induced by the Luminous Firestorm.flac

&

/share/Metal/Bandcamp/The Room Colored Charlatan - Between Mirrors- The Quantum Immortality/The Room Colored Charlatan - Between Mirrors- The Quantum Immortality - 02 Reflections Pt. 1.flac

These tracks can be played successfully on the amplifier when served by other DLNA servers (Twonky, for example) and can be played successfully by MinimServer when the file paths have been purposefully shortened.

Is this is a known or fixable issue without having to manually crop the file paths or names when I discover them? I recognise that they are long but I plead not guilty - this is just the way bandcamp served them up!

Any assistance will be appreciated.
The URI used by MinimServer to identify a track points directly to the track file in your library. If the file path is long, the URI will be long as well. Other servers use a database entry for the URI instead of a direct path. This creates shorter URIs but can cause problems with the database getting out of sync with the file system.

Most UPnP control points and renderers are able to handle the URIs produced by MinimServer. I am not sure whether the URI length limitation you are seeing is caused by your UPnP control point or your renderer (the RX-V2065). Which UPnP control point are you using? Could you try a different control point such as BubbleUPnP or Linn Kinsky?
I'm not entirely familiar with the term 'control point' but I am using MinimServer 0.8.4.1 update 97 on a QNAP NAS, if that's what you mean.

I have tried streaming the troublesome tracks on some other renderers and they operated successfully. It therefore looks to be an issue with the amplifier.

I hadn't heard of BubbleUPnPS before and after trying it with the media proxy option I can confirm that it does indeed allow the tracks to be played (proxying MinimServer) on the amplifier. A successful workaround!

Thank you very much for your time and the advice.
The control point is usually an app running on an iPad/tablet/phone that you use to browse your library and select music for playing. As you are using a Yamaha amplifier, this might be an app produced by Yamaha.

Thanks for posting information about the workaround. This will be useful for other users.
Reference URL's