MinimServer Forum

Full Version: MinimServer music stops & starts randomly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have MinimServer on my Windows 10 PC. My music library is on a WDMyCloudMirror NAS. The devices are connected by Ethernet cable. I have two control points and they both give the same results.

Using the NAS embedded Twonky media server I have no problems, so the problem is not with the NAS.

Using the PC MinimServer the music intermittently stops, there is no network, file or Java activity for 30 s or so, then the activity and music restarts. I tried setting the router media prioritization for MinimServer ports 9790-9791, but to no effect. I tried turning the firewall off, but to no effect.

Thanks for any help

Michael
It's probably going to be a network issue. What kind of switch (or switches) are you using between the computer, the NAS and the player? Are you just using the router, or a separate, unmanaged or managed switch or switches? Are you using a gigabit switch (not a requirement, theoretically, but possibly helpful in your configuration)?

Simon is much better placed than I am to comment on the loading on the network generated by having MinimServer on the PC and the music files stored on the NAS. He has only very recently updated MinimServer to make this configuration usable. But, with the data on one device and the indexes on another, one could imagine that a fair amount of network traffic is generated.

David
(30-12-2016 14:43)DavidHB Wrote: [ -> ]It's probably going to be a network issue. What kind of switch (or switches) are you using between the computer, the NAS and the player? Are you just using the router, or a separate, unmanaged or managed switch or switches? Are you using a gigabit switch (not a requirement, theoretically, but possibly helpful in your configuration)?

Simon is much better placed than I am to comment on the loading on the network generated by having MinimServer on the PC and the music files stored on the NAS. He has only very recently updated MinimServer to make this configuration usable. But, with the data on one device and the indexes on another, one could imagine that a fair amount of network traffic is generated.

David

I have the PC linked directly by Ethernet to a Linksys Router WRT-1900ACS. The NAS is also directly linked to the router by Ethernet. In one case I have a 5 GHz WiFi bridge to my Linn DSM Media Player. In a second case I have a power line connection to a Marantz Media Player. In both case I have no problems with NAS/Twonky so I don't see how the NAS to player connection can be an issue. It has to be somehow PC/MinimServer related.
What type of files are you playing (e.g., FLAC, MP3, AIFF, etc.)?

Do you have MinimStreamer transcoding active? If so, what is in your stream.transcode property?
(30-12-2016 19:11)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]What type of files are you playing (e.g., FLAC, MP3, AIFF, etc.)?

Do you have MinimStreamer transcoding active? If so, what is in your stream.transcode property?

I am playing FLAC lossless files. I don't use MinimStreamer at all.
I tried something else: I copied my library to my PC and pointed MinimServer at it. There were NO problems. This indicates that the issue lies with the MinimServer being on the PC and the library being on the NAS, despite a fast Ethernet connection between the two via the router. Note, again, that when the music stops I see no network, file or Java activity in my process monitor on the PC. It looks as if MinimsServer just stops.

Michael
Please do the following:

1) From the minim icon, select 'Show log'
2) In the log window, change the logging level to Trace
3) Play a file that is on the NAS

The log window should show output like this:

14:10:39.092 Thread-214: writing: maxRead=0, minRead=0, maxWrite=470, minWrite=0, numReads=10, numWrites=10, avgWrite=207
14:10:41.132 Thread-214: writing: maxRead=0, minRead=0, maxWrite=380, minWrite=0, numReads=11, numWrites=11, avgWrite=185
14:10:43.462 Thread-214: writing: maxRead=0, minRead=0, maxWrite=380, minWrite=0, numReads=13, numWrites=13, avgWrite=179
14:10:45.492 Thread-214: writing: maxRead=0, minRead=0, maxWrite=380, minWrite=0, numReads=11, numWrites=11, avgWrite=184
14:10:47.632 Thread-214: writing: maxRead=0, minRead=0, maxWrite=370, minWrite=0, numReads=13, numWrites=13, avgWrite=164
14:10:49.682 Thread-214: writing: maxRead=0, minRead=0, maxWrite=380, minWrite=0, numReads=12, numWrites=12, avgWrite=170
14:10:51.812 Thread-214: writing: maxRead=1, minRead=0, maxWrite=380, minWrite=0, numReads=13, numWrites=13, avgWrite=163
14:10:53.862 Thread-214: writing: maxRead=1, minRead=0, maxWrite=380, minWrite=0, numReads=11, numWrites=11, avgWrite=186

What happens to this output when the music stops temporarily? Do any of the numbers look unusual?
(31-12-2016 15:19)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Please do the following:

1) From the minim icon, select 'Show log'
2) In the log window, change the logging level to Trace
3) Play a file that is on the NAS

What happens to this output when the music stops temporarily? Do any of the numbers look unusual?

Hello,
There are lots of error messages when the music stops. I attach a log file.
Michael
(01-01-2017 10:19)kendalltob Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,
Michael

This log shows that the PC running MinimServer lost contact with the NAS containing the music library at about 10:03:22. Because of this, MinimServer was unable to read audio data from the NAS and stream it to the renderer. Because the renderer was not receiving any audio data, it closed the connection at 10:04:28 and then reopened the connection to the server and continued streaming music.

I don't know what caused the PC to lose contact with the NAS. It is possible that you have a faulty Ethernet cable between the router and either the PC or the NAS. Another possibility is a faulty HDD in the NAS. Does the NAS system log show any error messages? Have you ever had any other problems or noticed a similar stop/start when copying files between the PC and the NAS in either direction?
(01-01-2017 19:49)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-01-2017 10:19)kendalltob Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,
Michael

This log shows that the PC running MinimServer lost contact with the NAS containing the music library at about 10:03:22. Because of this, MinimServer was unable to read audio data from the NAS and stream it to the renderer. Because the renderer was not receiving any audio data, it closed the connection at 10:04:28 and then reopened the connection to the server and continued streaming music.

I don't know what caused the PC to lose contact with the NAS. It is possible that you have a faulty Ethernet cable between the router and either the PC or the NAS. Another possibility is a faulty HDD in the NAS. Does the NAS system log show any error messages? Have you ever had any other problems or noticed a similar stop/start when copying files between the PC and the NAS in either direction?

Hello,
I ran an extensive test on the NAS and it checks out fine. I do daily backups to the NAS from the PC and have no problems. There cannot be an issue between the router and NAS since I have no issues running the embedded Twonky server. I tried switching to a WiFi connection between PC and router and although I have the distinct impression that there were fewer failures I still had some interruptions with WiFi. If it is of any help I attach a set of diagrams of what works and what doesn't.
Thanks,
Michael
Streaming in real time across a network connection is not the same as copying files for a backup. Sometimes problems can show up with the former that don't show up with the latter.

Running Twonky on the NAS is very different because there is no SMB/CIFS remote file access involved in this case.

Can you try running Asset UPnP on the PC to see if the same thing happens?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's