MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Minimwatch cannot be uninstalled
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have successfully installed Minimserver on my Synology 216j and tried to install Minimwatch on my desktop. The icon is grey and Minimwatch does not start working. When I try to uninstall it, it says Minimwatch is working and must be exited. But the exit button is nowhere offered. The grey icon does not react to anything, looks like a vicious circle. I am a computer layman, sorry, but I am completely clueless.
The appearance of the grey icon suggests that MinimWatch is indeed running. You close it by right-clicking (or Ctrl-clicking on a Mac with a single button mouse) on the icon, then selecting the Exit option. What happens when you do this?

The real issue, however, is the fact that MinimWatch is not finding the running instance of MinimServer on the NAS. There are several possible causes for this, but the easiest one to diagnose is that your security software (most likely the firewall) may be blocking MinimWatch. Try temporarily disabling your security software, and see whether the MinimWatch icon turns green. If it does, the right-click on the icon gives you the menu of features described in the User Guide. You will need to set an exception for MinimWatch in the firewall or application control settings of tour security software.

If the security software is not the issue, please come back. It would help us to know which Operating System your desktop computer is using.

David
(25-12-2016 17:29)misl Wrote: [ -> ]I have successfully installed Minimserver on my Synology 216j and tried to install Minimwatch on my desktop. The icon is grey and Minimwatch does not start working. When I try to uninstall it, it says Minimwatch is working and must be exited. But the exit button is nowhere offered. The grey icon does not react to anything, looks like a vicious circle. I am a computer layman, sorry, but I am completely clueless.

You can get this message from the uninstaller if MinimWatch has crashed for some reason. The installer checks for a file named minimwatch.config.lock. This file is deleted when MinimWatch exits normally. If MinimWatch crashes, the file might not be deleted and this causes the uninstaller to think that MinimWatch is running. The solution is to delete this file manually and then you will be able to do the uninstall.

To view and delete this file, type:

%appdata%/MinimWatch/data

into the Windows Explorer address bar and press Enter. You will see the minimwatch.config.lock file. Select the file and press Delete or Shift+Delete.

For the next release of MinimWatch and MinimServer, I am working on a solution that deletes this file automatically when necessary.

Although this will enable you to uninstall MinimWatch, it is unlikely that uninstalling and reinstalling will solve the problem you are having. See DavidHB's post for some helpful hints on getting MinimWatch to work.
I have reinstalled Minimserver, then managed to exit the Minimwatch, reinstalled it, too, and now everything seems running as it should. Thank you very much for your assistance.
Reference URL's