MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Trouble Installing MinimServer on Melco N1ZH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all and happy holidays. I just joined the Forum to post my minimsetup.log text from two unsuccessful attempts to install MinimServer on my new Melco HA-N1ZH60. Each time, I got as far as Step #8 in the instructions for "Installing MinimServer and Java on the Melco N1." Each time, I ended up with a single log file in my "share" folder with the following text:

Expansion drive found
Found Java 8u112+2+compact3 on flash drive
Found MinimServer 0.8.4.4 on flash drive
Creating Apps directory...
Installing Java 8u112+2+compact3...
tar: short read

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Did you create the flash drive using Windows or Mac?
Hi Simon. I used a MacBook Pro running Yosemite OSX v10.10.5. I have access to a Windows 7 PC if you think that might help.

Thanks very much and happy holidays.
(26-12-2016 12:20)GreenMtnGringo Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simon. I used a MacBook Pro running Yosemite OSX v10.10.5. I have access to a Windows 7 PC if you think that might help.

Thanks very much and happy holidays.

Are you sure the USB flash drive that you used was large enough? It needs to be 128MB or larger.

Did you see any error messages when the flash drive was being written?

Do you have another USB flash drive you can try?
Hi Simon and thanks for the reply. The USB flash drive is 1.0 GB. No error messages that I noticed. I can look for another USB flash drive, although I never had a problem with this one before. A screen shot of the USB flash drive info pop-up window is attached. Thanks again.
(26-12-2016 15:53)GreenMtnGringo Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simon and thanks for the reply. The USB flash drive is 1.0 GB. No error messages that I noticed. I can look for another USB flash drive, although I never had a problem with this one before. A screen shot of the USB flash drive info pop-up window is attached. Thanks again.

Your screen shot shows capacity of 126MB with 106MB available, so not enough space for the 128MB that Simon mentioned.
(26-12-2016 16:55)Peter@57m Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-12-2016 15:53)GreenMtnGringo Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simon and thanks for the reply. The USB flash drive is 1.0 GB. No error messages that I noticed. I can look for another USB flash drive, although I never had a problem with this one before. A screen shot of the USB flash drive info pop-up window is attached. Thanks again.

Your screen shot shows capacity of 126MB with 106MB available, so not enough space for the 128MB that Simon mentioned.

Hi Peter, thanks, I noticed that, too. It started as a 1.0 GB USB flash drive and still shows as such in Disk Utility (see attached screen shot). Later today or tomorrow I may try this flash drive in my Windows 7 PC.
(26-12-2016 17:34)GreenMtnGringo Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Peter, thanks, I noticed that, too. It started as a 1.0 GB USB flash drive and still shows as such in Disk Utility (see attached screen shot). Later today or tomorrow I may try this flash drive in my Windows 7 PC.

This display showing 126MB is fine. The Minimserver flash drive creator writes a 128 MB partition to the flash drive. Because of counting differences between 1K (1024) and 1K (1000), this is being shown as 126 MB instead of 128 MB.

Please try downloading the MinimServer-0.8.4.4-melco.dmg file again. I suepect you have a corrupt copy of this file.
Hi Simon, thanks. Below is a screenshot of the contents of the "files" folder on my USB flash drive. I will try reformatting and reloading the flash drive using my MBP, see what happens, and report back here.

UPDATE: Below is the text from the terminal window for the re-load (the contents of the newly generated "files" folder appears to be the same as the first time). I will now attempt the install on my Melco.

Unmounting device disk1....
Unmount of all volumes on disk1 was successful
Writing installer image to device disk1 (this can take a while)....
Password:
XXXXXXXXXXX
122+1 records in
122+1 records out
128000000 bytes transferred in 46.826091 secs (2733519 bytes/sec)
The image was written sucessfully

Completing setup of device disk1....
Ejecting device disk1....
Volume failed to eject
logout

[Process completed]
UPDATE #1: No luck again. I got to Step #8 (re-entered my language and time zone) and all I ended up with is this log file in my "share" folder:

Expansion drive found

I may try the USB flash drive in my Windows 7 PC.

UPDATE #2: I re-created the USB installer flash drive on my Windows 7 PC. This shrunk the drive size to 118 MB. I got the folder structure described in the "Creating the USB installer flash drive using Windows" discussion.

Unfortunately, once again I got only as far as Step #8 (language and time zone re-entering) and ended up with the same log file in my share folder as I did the previous times:

Expansion drive found

Could it be that MinimServer installs on the Melco N1A but not on the N1ZH?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's