MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Missing RIFF chunk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
There is no doubt that MinimServer is working and well. It does exactly what I need. Howerver, I get hundreds of these for almost all of my files:

Error: missing RIFF chunk at start of WAV file The Genius Sings the Blues (VPI).wav (length 2384093934)

They are very large wave files 192/24. All of the files are in the range or 2-6 GB. I tried to convert the files from/to a wave using Audiophile Inventory Converter with the same results.

Are the files too big? Does MinimServer expect those large files to be packaged in a RIFF? How can I do that if it is necessary? Any other suggestions?

If I can get this working I know I am going to low this software. Thanks.
Simon,
I am getting huge numbers of these too. Also lots of invalid flac headers. The RIFF chunks are all on WAV files on my Melco but not on my QNAP HS 251, the invalid flac headers mostly on the QNAP but no RIFF chunk errors on the WAVs. I use the QNAP as my master database and sync the Melco to it so the files should be identical. Both lots of errors are recent, I have not done any tag editing recently and older versions of Minim gave no errors at all.
I think I may have found the problem and the possible workaround. I load the 192/24 file and split it into smaller tracks. I guess if I were to create a file for every track I would not experience this (just something else, sic.). These are all albums, 1-4 lps. If I split the wave into smaller pieces they are not treated as RIFF packages, simply waves. It works when I do that. One down and only 447 to go. Anybody have any better ideas?
(20-12-2016 18:46)leonard Wrote: [ -> ]There is no doubt that MinimServer is working and well. It does exactly what I need. Howerver, I get hundreds of these for almost all of my files:

Error: missing RIFF chunk at start of WAV file The Genius Sings the Blues (VPI).wav (length 2384093934)

Can you use a hex editor to check whether the first four characters of the file are the letters RIFF? If they are RIFF, it is a problem with MinimServer. If they are not RIFF, it is a problem with your WAV file.
(20-12-2016 20:08)beckphotonik Wrote: [ -> ]Simon,
I am getting huge numbers of these too. Also lots of invalid flac headers. The RIFF chunks are all on WAV files on my Melco but not on my QNAP HS 251, the invalid flac headers mostly on the QNAP but no RIFF chunk errors on the WAVs. I use the QNAP as my master database and sync the Melco to it so the files should be identical. Both lots of errors are recent, I have not done any tag editing recently and older versions of Minim gave no errors at all.

The latest MinimServer update is not ignoring files that start with a period character (.). This is because some users have complained that files in their library that happen to start with a period are missing from MinimServer. I suspect that the problem files are bogus files created by Mac OS with names that start with period (.) or period underscore (._). Please post some of the error messages here so that I can check this.
(20-12-2016 20:20)leonard Wrote: [ -> ]I think I may have found the problem and the possible workaround. I load the 192/24 file and split it into smaller tracks. I guess if I were to create a file for every track I would not experience this (just something else, sic.). These are all albums, 1-4 lps. If I split the wave into smaller pieces they are not treated as RIFF packages, simply waves. It works when I do that. One down and only 447 to go. Anybody have any better ideas?

All wave files of any length need to start with the characters RIFF (a RIFF chunk) in order to be valid.
(20-12-2016 21:48)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-12-2016 20:08)beckphotonik Wrote: [ -> ]Simon,

The latest MinimServer update is not ignoring files that start with a period character (.). This is because some users have complained that files in their library that happen to start with a period are missing from MinimServer. I suspect that the problem files are bogus files created by Mac OS with names that start with period (.) or period underscore (._). Please post some of the error messages here so that I can check this.
Just looked at both Melco and QNAP logs, all files start ._
Oh B******. Thanks for the info, now I have to decide how to get rid of them.
(20-12-2016 21:56)beckphotonik Wrote: [ -> ]Just looked at both Melco and QNAP logs, all files start ._

You have convinced me to change the MinimServer scanning rules to ignore any files whose names start with "._". Until this change is available, you can put ._* in the excludePattern property. You will never be able to get rid of them because Mac OS will create new ._ files to take their place. Sad
(20-12-2016 22:11)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-12-2016 21:56)beckphotonik Wrote: [ -> ]Just looked at both Melco and QNAP logs, all files start ._

You have convinced me to change the MinimServer scanning rules to ignore any files whose names start with "._". Until this change is available, you can put ._* in the excludePattern property. You will never be able to get rid of them because Mac OS will create new ._ files to take their place. Sad

I understand. Thanks Simon.
Simon, that's great for Macs, but I am on Windows 10. My missing RIFF chunk message is on files that are greater than 2 GB. Anything smaller there is no problem. Here is from the last log file:

Error: missing RIFF chunk at start of WAV file Before the Flood (VPI).wav (length 6466140700)
Error: missing RIFF chunk at start of WAV file Candy-O (VPI).wav (length 2537571436)
Error: missing RIFF chunk at start of WAV file Glass Houses (VPI).wav (length 2424981314)
Error: missing RIFF chunk at start of WAV file Jazz Samba (VPI).wav (length 3108826804)
Error: missing RIFF chunk at start of WAV file Little Feat (VPI).wav (length 2326466046)
Error: missing RIFF chunk at start of WAV file Setting Sons (VPI).wav (length 2560004534)
Error: missing RIFF chunk at start of WAV file The SHF Band (VPI).wav (length 2687209220)
MinimServer[LensLawns] is running

If I knew what it was looking for I might be able to provide it. I'd prefer to not have to split these files because there are so many of them. Thanks.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's