MinimServer Forum

Full Version: difficulty with rescanning to include newly added music
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Question from a relative newbie here, so apologies if this is obvious to everyone else here!
I am using a second iTunes library for music that has been ripped and stored on my synology NAS to stream. I have been using it just fine.
Yesterday I ripped some more music and went to minimserver to rescan to register the newly added albums but it had trouble finding the shared external diskstation NAS content directory.
Is there an easy way to find this? I erased the content directory field on minim properties window so it would prompt me to find the proper content directory from a drop-down list. When it does prompt, the drop down list does not have the shared external NAS drive as an option but just the mac HD, user, etc.
I tried entering the /volumes/music but this has just created a second minim server that is not functioning properly. I don't want a second server but just want to update the original server to include the newly ripped music. Now when I try to use the previous minim server I see that the newly ripped music is actually there but the album artwork icons do not match and the total # of albums is still showing 79 albums instead of 85. Seems like the artwork icons need to be re-mapped to match up.

How do I locate the proper content directory name (of the original server content) to insert into minim server's properties so that I can re-scan and hopefully update and match up the album icons with the album song titles content?

Also, how do I delete or remove the second minim server that I have mistakenly created?

Many thanks folks!
Chris
It sounds as though you are using the MinimServer web page (perhaps via the NAS). This only allows you to enter a single content directory location. If you install MinimWatch on a PC or Mac on the same network as the NAS (full instructions are on the Minimserver website, which you can access from the link at the bottom of this forum page), you get full control of MinimServer via the Properties dialog, and this will allow you to add additional content paths, up to a maximum of eight.

Simon can advise on the means of removing the second instance. I suspect that you might need to uninstall and reinstall MinimServer from the Package Center.

David
Thanks David,
I have access to the properties dialog but I am wondering how to identify the correct content path in case this is the problem. How can I find the correct content path? I notice that even though I am seeing only 79 albums on my android app, and the albums appear alphabetical but are mismatched to the album icon (by between 1-6 in the alphabetical list based on where the newly added albums fit in the alphabetical sort), but if I look via artist, the correct albums/artist content appears and streams correctly.
Thinking maybe i should try replacing "true" with "full" on the rescan, but I want to re-confirm that I have the content path correct and delete the second server first.
It does look as though a full rescan would be advisable, but I agree that you need to fix the other problems first.

As regards the file paths, I too have had this problem, but I can only be of limited help because I don't have a Synology NAS. I can't check this, but I would expect that File Station shows the path. If you then check the path for your original, correctly indexed library, as shown in File Station, and compare that with the way in which the same path is represented in MinimServer properties, this should give you an indication as to how the path of the new library should be represented.

My rather simplistic approach with my NAS is to have a single path to a single music library, and make sure that everything I want to index is in that folder. If you can move your new folders into the original library (using File Station) and then rebuild both the MinimServer and iTunes indexes, that might be the best way to solve the problem.

I hope this enough to get you started.

David
To enter a content directory on a network share, first open the NAS list of shared folders using Finder, then drag a shared folder from this list into the contentDir field of the Properties dialog.

I don't know what you mean by a second server. Do you have two minim icons in the menu bar? If so, select Exit for the one that you don't want.
Thanks guys.
Simon, I have two minim server icons in my list of upnp servers on my android control app.
Thanks
Chris
(16-12-2016 17:36)tunes Wrote: [ -> ]I have two minim server icons in my list of upnp servers on my android control app.

Which app are you using? It may be seeing the two directories as different 'servers' even though is only one instance of MinimServer running on the NAS. What happens if you remove the new library from the MinimServer contentDir property?

David
Went to file station and followed simon's directions to find the content directory and updated it and the jumbled album title content issue is now resolved.
I now have two MinimServer[DiskStation] server icon's showing up under my UPnP server list that are both working. Would love to remove one as I only need one but if it's going to screw up anything now that it's working, maybe I should just leave it alone! Smile
added several more ripped albums and they control app is now showing only one minim server icon under the UPnP list. Have no idea what happened or where it went but it seems to have resolved and all is working Smile
Thanks for the ideas and support folks. Really great forum here!
(16-12-2016 21:16)tunes Wrote: [ -> ]added several more ripped albums and they control app is now showing only one minim server icon under the UPnP list. Have no idea what happened or where it went but it seems to have resolved and all is working Smile
Thanks for the ideas and support folks. Really great forum here!

It sounds like the control app is a bit buggy and was showing an incorrect duplicate icon for MinimServer.

As you are on Android, you can use BubbleUPnP as your control app. This is an excellent app in very way and I have never seen it display a duplicate icon. Smile
Reference URL's