MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Issue with Yamaha receiver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Yamaha RX-679 receiver that can browse and playback music from MinimServer just fine...for a while. Then, at some point I get an 'Access Error' message and can no longer browse. Whatever song I'm currently listening to will continue to the end, even if it's a really long song. Interestingly, the issue seems to happen more often if I listen to long songs, and don't browse through the folders. It's as if there's some sort of timeout occurring. Only solution is to turn the amp off and on again.

I also found this forum thread which describes the same problem by a Kodi user. He used Wireshark and found his amp (different model to mine) sometimes sends a malformed request. Presumably, when it doesn't get an answer, it decides to ignore the DLNA server and stop trying to browse it, hence the reboot is required. His 'solution', if you can call it that, was to edit the source code for Kodi to add an extra layer of escaping for XML input.

Any advice would be appreciated, absolutely love Minim and how minimal it is.
It is probably not exactly the same error as the other post but it is likely to be something similar with malformed input from the receiver. To understand exactly what is happening, I would need to see a trace log. Enabling trace logging can produce a very large amount of output, so the test needs to be set up with care to minimise the size of the trace log.

What types of files are you playing (e.g., FLAC, MP3, WAV)? Do you have MinimStreamer transcoding enabled? It is very desirable to disable transcoding to reduce the size of the trace log.

When you have confirmed the details of the test setup, I will post instructions for running the test.
Thanks for the reply. I am playing FLAC and WAV files direct, I have not installed MinimStreamer.
Please do the following:

1) From the minim icon, select 'Show log'
2) In the log window, change the logging level to Trace
3) Leave the log window open
4) Play music (either FLAC or WAV) until you see the 'Access Error' message
5) In the log window, click 'Save as' to save a log file (don't wait for the track to finish playing before you do this)
6) In the log window, change the logging level back to Info
7) Zip the saved log file and attach it to a post here

I will look at the log file and let you know what I find.
Thankyou so much for looking at this - here's the log.
Thanks for this. Unfortunately, the log doesn't show the bad request and error response, presumably because the error was detected by the ohNet UPnP stack (used by MinimServer to handle UPnP requests), so MinimServer never received the request.

There is some tracing available in ohNet but nothing that shows the full request. The only way to capture this would be with Wireshark. If you would like to do this, I can look at a Wireshark trace. This would be quite a lot of work and I'm not sure whether there is any benefit in doing it because it seems that Yamaha are aware of the issue but unwilling to fix it.
I am definitely up for doing a Wireshark trace, but it won't be for a few days. With the Wireshark trace, perhaps you can clarify the problem and then I can try approaching Yamaha (for whatever good it will do...). Do you know if Plex also uses ohNet for UPNP? That would explain why the problem is exactly the same on Plex as on MinimServer.
It is unlikely that Plex uses ohNet. I think the XML sent by the Yamaha is wrong and both Plex and ohNet are (independently) rejecting it.
I believe the problem is fixed. Yay! I did more digging and found another forum thread that sounded similar.

That thread made me think about my networking situation. It was:

Amp --> Netgear Switch --> ZTE router
PC --> ZTE router

After reading that thread, it's now:

Amp --> Netgear Switch
PC --> Netgear Switch

So both devices on the same switch, rather than having to also go through the router, seems to have fixed the problem.
(29-11-2016 15:53)daninthemix Wrote: [ -> ]So both devices on the same switch, rather than having to also go through the router, seems to have fixed the problem.

I'm pleased to hear this has fixed the problem.

If you have a switch as well as a router, it's usually best to use the switch for switching and the router for routing, as you are now doing. Smile
Reference URL's