MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Music Library (Minimserver) No Longer Visible
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Running a Synology DS412+ with Minimserver for a couple years as a music server, all perfect. I have been out of town a couple weeks and have come home to find that my music library is no longer available on my network. NAS is up and running; MinimServer running and can be found by MinimWatch. I've re-booted everything and stopped/started Minimserver. NAS volume is visible on my network. Not sure where to go from here. I've done all updates I'm aware of, but maybe something is messed up with java? I did do a java update sometime before I left but I THINK it was OK- not sure.
Here are details:
DSM DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 1
INTEL Atom D2700
Minim server 0.8.4.1
Java 7.0.111-0011

Thanks for your help Simon.
(13-09-2016 14:10)Afveep Wrote: [ -> ]Running a Synology DS412+ with Minimserver for a couple years as a music server, all perfect. I have been out of town a couple weeks and have come home to find that my music library is no longer available on my network. NAS is up and running; MinimServer running and can be found by MinimWatch. I've re-booted everything and stopped/started Minimserver. NAS volume is visible on my network. Not sure where to go from here. I've done all updates I'm aware of, but maybe something is messed up with java? I did do a java update sometime before I left but I THINK it was OK- not sure.
Here are details:
INTEL Atom D2700
Minim server 0.8.4.1
Java 7.0.111-0011

It would be helpful if you say which renderer (player) you are using and which control point. Have you tried more than one control point?

I have QNAP and Melco rather than Synology, but does your NAS have a default Twonky type music server? Is this visible.
(13-09-2016 17:44)Peter@57m Wrote: [ -> ]
(13-09-2016 14:10)Afveep Wrote: [ -> ]Running a Synology DS412+ with Minimserver for a couple years as a music server, all perfect. I have been out of town a couple weeks and have come home to find that my music library is no longer available on my network. NAS is up and running; MinimServer running and can be found by MinimWatch. I've re-booted everything and stopped/started Minimserver. NAS volume is visible on my network. Not sure where to go from here. I've done all updates I'm aware of, but maybe something is messed up with java? I did do a java update sometime before I left but I THINK it was OK- not sure.
Here are details:
INTEL Atom D2700
Minim server 0.8.4.1
Java 7.0.111-0011

It would be helpful if you say which renderer (player) you are using and which control point. Have you tried more than one control point?

I have QNAP and Melco rather than Synology, but does your NAS have a default Twonky type music server? Is this visible.

Hi Peter,
My primary player is Roon running on a Small Green Computer SonicTransporter with a Sonore microRendu renderer. Control is via the Roon iPad app. This combination worked perfectly. To check, I tried the AudioNet control point, which just uses MinimServer in DLNA mode, and the Lumin control point, which uses MinimServer+BubblePnP (which I also have installed on the NAS)in OpenHome/DLNA. None of them show the presence of the music library through MinimServer, and all had worked fine previously.
I don't have Twonky on the NAS; I believe that Sinology has it's own version, but I have not tried it.
Does the MinimWatch to MinimServer connection use wireless or wired Ethernet? If this is wired, it might be that your network is routing multicast messages to wired connections but is failing to route these messages to wireless connections.
(13-09-2016 22:47)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Does the MinimWatch to MinimServer connection use wireless or wired Ethernet? If this is wired, it might be that your network is routing multicast messages to wired connections but is failing to route these messages to wireless connections.

Everything in my network is wired, except the iPad controller.
Router/wireless is Eero; there is a NetGear ProSafe Gigabit switch and a small TrendNet gigabit switch in the path, but everything was working perfectly from day 1 until now, so while I really don't know what I'm talking about, I'd be suspicious of a multicast problem as these are not managed switches and I haven't "futzed" with them.
In your first post you say you can see the NAS on the network - is that from the iPad or from some other device?
If you try entering 192.168.1.51:9790 (this should be replaced with the IP address of your NAS) in Safari on the iPad, does it show the MinimServer status page?
Do any of the Synology apps see the NAS from the iPad, such as DS Finder DS File.
I am trying to find out if the iPad can see the NAS but not MinimServer or cannot see the NAS at all.

PS: if you don't know the IP address of the NAS, install the app fing on the iPad which will show you the IP address of all items on the network.
(13-09-2016 23:14)Afveep Wrote: [ -> ]Everything in my network is wired, except the iPad controller.
Router/wireless is Eero; there is a NetGear ProSafe Gigabit switch and a small TrendNet gigabit switch in the path, but everything was working perfectly from day 1 until now, so while I really don't know what I'm talking about, I'd be suspicious of a multicast problem as these are not managed switches and I haven't "futzed" with them.

Can you try using a UPnP control point (such as Linn Kinsky) running on the wired Windows PC to see whether it can find MinimServer? If MinimServer is visible to wired UPnP control points but not visible to wireless UPnP control points, this is likely to be a wireless multicast problem.
(14-09-2016 07:12)Peter@57m Wrote: [ -> ]In your first post you say you can see the NAS on the network - is that from the iPad or from some other device?
If you try entering 192.168.1.51:9790 (this should be replaced with the IP address of your NAS) in Safari on the iPad, does it show the MinimServer status page?
Do any of the Synology apps see the NAS from the iPad, such as DS Finder DS File.
I am trying to find out if the iPad can see the NAS but not MinimServer or cannot see the NAS at all.

PS: if you don't know the IP address of the NAS, install the app fing on the iPad which will show you the IP address of all items on the network.
Hi Peter@57m,
I can see the NAS in Finder on my MAC. I can also see the NAS (DSM page) on my iPad by entering the IP address. For some reason, the Package Center MinimServer page does not have a link to the MS status page on the iPad, but if I enter that address in my iPad browser (IP + :9790) the MS status page comes up in the browser (Safari).

I loaded the DS File app on my iPad and it can see the NAS and the folder structure, including the MinimServer folder.

So it appears that the iPad can clearly see the NAS. But, see my response to Simon below. Thanks for your help!
(14-09-2016 09:37)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(13-09-2016 23:14)Afveep Wrote: [ -> ]Everything in my network is wired, except the iPad controller.

Can you try using a UPnP control point (such as Linn Kinsky) running on the wired Windows PC to see whether it can find MinimServer? If MinimServer is visible to wired UPnP control points but not visible to wireless UPnP control points, this is likely to be a wireless multicast problem.

Simon,
I tried Kinsky on both my MAC and a Windows machine, both with wired connections, and it sees the MinimServer library just fine. Here's the perhaps interesting part- if I disconnect the wired connection and put my MAC in wireless mode, Kinsky can NOT see MinimServer, nor does it see my two DirectTV boxes that were visible with the wired connection. When I re-connect the wired LAN, MinimServer and the DTV boxes come back.

So yes, it appears that the MinimServer library is not visible in wireless mode, but is visible in wired. I have not made any changes, if it's even possible, to the router config at all, that may have caused this, but maybe an automatic update. Where do I go from here?
Tom
(16-09-2016 14:28)Afveep Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-09-2016 09:37)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]

Simon,
I tried Kinsky on both my MAC and a Windows machine, both with wired connections, and it sees the MinimServer library just fine. Here's the perhaps interesting part- if I disconnect the wired connection and put my MAC in wireless mode, Kinsky can NOT see MinimServer, nor does it see my two DirectTV boxes that were visible with the wired connection. When I re-connect the wired LAN, MinimServer and the DTV boxes come back.

So yes, it appears that the MinimServer library is not visible in wireless mode, but is visible in wired. I have not made any changes, if it's even possible, to the router config at all, that may have caused this, but maybe an automatic update. Where do I go from here?
Tom

Check router and firewall settings. Something there is preventing wifi devices from seeing the network. Also, from your Mac's perspective, changing to wifi could be regarded as switching to a different network that is treated differently. For example, in Windows you have a distinction between home vs public networks.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's