MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Solved - Java 8u101 update blocked by windows firewall
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just a heads up for anyone using windows 10 to run minimwatch.

Two days ago java was updated to version jre-8u101-windows, and I started to get the annoying grey icon problem when running minimwatch.

After the usual digging around it seems that windows firewall decided to start blocking javaw.exe, which hasn't happened with other recent updates.

Adding a new 'inbound rule' under advanced settings solved the problem.

Thought this might save some time should it happen to anyone else.

BTW, I'm also running Norton Security, which didn't require any changes.

regards
Nick
On my machine, the Java update caused Windows to reset the taskbar settings for Java applications. As it is useful to have the green icons on the taskbar (rather than hidden in the pop-up) when MinimWatch and/or MinimServer are running, this was a pain, albeit a fairly minor one , as it was quickly fixed.

David
When I update Java on my Windows 10 machine I invariably get a Windows firewall pop up saying Java wants access to the internet. You may have missed the original pop up or there's a setting where pop up's for the firewall is switched off.
(27-07-2016 17:07)DavidHB Wrote: [ -> ]On my machine, the Java update caused Windows to reset the taskbar settings for Java applications. As it is useful to have the green icons on the taskbar (rather than hidden in the pop-up) when MinimWatch and/or MinimServer are running, this was a pain, albeit a fairly minor one , as it was quickly fixed.

David

Hello,
I have this problem now. How did you fix it?
Chip
(31-07-2016 10:39)chip Wrote: [ -> ]I have this problem now. How did you fix it?

These are the instructions for a Windows 10 machine without a touchscreen.

Click on the notification icon in the taskbar tray, and select 'All Settings' Then navigate System > Notifications & actions > Select which icons appear on the taskbar, and turn on 'Java™ Platform SE binary'. Don't turn on any other options related to MinimServer or MinimWatch you may see, or life will become unbearable when you initiate a rescan!

David

Later edit: see post #8 for instructions related to the Windows Anniversary Update
(31-07-2016 14:06)DavidHB Wrote: [ -> ]
(31-07-2016 10:39)chip Wrote: [ -> ]I have this problem now. How did you fix it?

These are the instructions for a Windows 10 machine without a touchscreen.

Click on the notification icon in the taskbar tray, and select 'All Settings' Then navigate System > Notifications & actions > Select which icons appear on the taskbar, and turn on 'Java™ Platform SE binary'. Don't turn on any other options related to MinimServer or MinimWatch you may see, or life will become unbearable when you initiate a rescan!

David

Very simple and easy if you know what to do!
Thank you
(31-07-2016 14:49)chip Wrote: [ -> ]Very simple and easy if you know what to do!

As so often with Windows. I'm glad it worked.

David
Further to the advice given in post #5, the setting has been moved in the Windows Anniversary Update (version 1607).

For this version, you open 'All Settings' as before, then navigate Personalisation > Taskbar > [scroll down to 'Notification Area'] > Select which icons appear on the taskbar, and then proceed as before.

David
"Adding a new 'inbound rule' under advanced settings solved the problem."

I'd be very grateful for a how-to here, all I can find is 'Allow apps to communicate through Windows Firewall' which seems to only have checkboxes for Private and Public. I now have 4 for Java SE binary! Argh...

This is Windows 10 Pro, see attached please
(15-08-2016 11:18)Glandwr Wrote: [ -> ]This is Windows 10 Pro, see attached please

Your attachment is presumably from the page "Allow apps to communicate through Windows Firewall". It may be that the different entries are conflicting with each other. I'd close MinimServer, go to the page and remove all 4 entries, then attempt to restart MinimServer (or MinimWatch - I think that it's the same issue). You should then get the firewall warning dialog. Click to allow Java to load. The icon may still come up grey. If it does, close MinimServer/MinimWatch and restart it.

If no icon at all appears, open Task Manager, and look for the Java SE Binary process (it may have a MinimServer icon) and stop this process. Then try to restart MinimServer/MinimWatch. Good luck!

David
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's