MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Odd problem with an album
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Simon, not sure if you can help me or not here.

I have an album lent to me by a friend to try. A Love supreme by John Coltrane 24 96kHz. I seem to be able to play it straight from the file on my windows 10 PC using the default player without any issue but when I stream it from minimserver (Melco or QNAP) it starts each track nicely but after 12 secs or so it stops.

I thought perhaps that maybe the file was faulty and I just attempted to reconvert it to the same FLAC file using DB Poweramp (as an aside I got this error while trying - FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC) as I know that has often been the advice if perhaps there are format errors in the file.

I just wondered if this gave you a clue as to why it's not working and if it's fixable. Just a bit confused as to why it appears to work properly on the PC (I have double checked this) and this is why I thought I would approach you. There doesn't appear to be anything in the minimserver log.

Any pointers/ideas?

Regards, Martin
Did you get the FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC error from dBpoweramp? If so, this confirms that the file is faulty.

When playing the file in Windows 10, you might perhaps notice a very small glitch if you listen carefully. This would be caused by the format error.

It sounds like the renderer you are using to play the file via MinimServer (you didn't say which renderer) is less tolerant of the file format error than the Windows 10 player. This is a renderer issue, not a MinimServer issue.
(28-06-2016 22:02)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Did you get the FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC error from dBpoweramp? If so, this confirms that the file is faulty.

When playing the file in Windows 10, you might perhaps notice a very small glitch if you listen carefully. This would be caused by the format error.

It sounds like the renderer you are using to play the file via MinimServer (you didn't say which renderer) is less tolerant of the file format error than the Windows 10 player. This is a renderer issue, not a MinimServer issue.

Simon, thanks for the clarification. It was with a Linn EKdsm (if that's the right nomenclature these days, I get confused). I will let my mate know so that he can check his copy. I had hoped DB converter would rectify a format error as it has done on a couple of occasions but it sounds as if it must be a step too far for it. Is there an alternate to that out of interest? No big deal if not.

Cheers
I don't know of anything that can "fix" a damaged FLAC audio stream. Programs like dBpoweramp can "fix" some problems with metadata or file structure but these usually don't affect the integrity of the audio stream.
(29-06-2016 07:44)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know of anything that can "fix" a damaged FLAC audio stream. Programs like dBpoweramp can "fix" some problems with metadata or file structure but these usually don't affect the integrity of the audio stream.

Thanks Simon. I will probably seek it out on Qobuz and just buy it which is what I would have done anyway if it had appealed. Cheers!
Reference URL's