MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Transcoding or PS3 problem?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been trying to get transcoding working, but either it isn't working, or I'm not using the PS3 properly. All of my music is on a Qnap in FLAC format. This is working beautifully using Kinsky to play the music on a Sneaky DS. The problem is when I want to use my PS3.

I have MinimWatch set to transcode FLAC, but either it isn't working, or I'm browsing my music incorrectly on the PS3. stream.converter is set to /usr/bin/ffmpeg and stream.transcode is currently set to flac:wav24;192/L16 (just my latest attempt). On the PS3, I go to the minimserver icon and browse by Folder. All of the music files still show the .flac extension, and when I try to play one, I get an "unsupported format" error. After looking through the docs and the forum threads, I'm probably missing the blindingly obvious. (And yes, after every change I have MinimWatch restart the service.) Some of my music was bought from Linn in the 24bit, 19200Hz (Studio Master) format, but I'm trying the PS3 on ripped CD tracks.

rhh
As a test, I suggest you start with a CD-quality file and try transcoding it using flac/wav or flac/L16. Do either or both of these play on the PS3?

The .flac extension when browsing doesn't mean that the files are being streamed in FLAC format. You can check the streaming format by using the same settings to stream to the Sneaky DS and check what Kinsky displays for the stream format. Note that the Sneaky DS doesn't support L16 but does support WAV.
(28-04-2016 10:10)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]As a test, I suggest you start with a CD-quality file and try transcoding it using flac/wav or flac/L16. Do either or both of these play on the PS3?

The .flac extension when browsing doesn't mean that the files are being streamed in FLAC format. You can check the streaming format by using the same settings to stream to the Sneaky DS and check what Kinsky displays for the stream format. Note that the Sneaky DS doesn't support L16 but does support WAV.

My apologies--life has been getting in the way...

That transcoding works fine on both the PS3 and Sneaky, using tracks ripped from a CD. I suspect I started with wav24(?). On higher-quality files, though, the PS3 crapped out. (Kinsky showed WAV for both files.) If the Sneaky doesn't do L16, I must have put the two options the wrong way around. sigh...

Thanks again for the help. I'll start tweaking from this starting point, that I now know works.

rhh
Reference URL's