MinimServer Forum

Full Version: DSM6 & Java Updates, Reinstalled Minimserver Won't Run
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, newbie first post here. Please be patient.

My DS415+ ran Minimserver fine until overnight updates to DSM6.0. I successfully installed update to Java7 by clicking on "update" within Package Center. Then uninstalled Minimserver (saving confirguration files). Restarted server. Downloaded and successfully installed MinimServer-0.8.3.4-x64.spk. When I open Package Center, select Minimserver and click Run message popup says "Failed to run the package service. Minimserver is not running."

I already confirmed that package center setting allows "Any Publisher".

What should I do to get Minimserver running again?

Thanks in advance.
(24-03-2016 18:18)sbank Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, newbie first post here. Please be patient.

My DS415+ ran Minimserver fine until overnight updates to DSM6.0. I successfully installed update to Java7 by clicking on "update" within Package Center. Then uninstalled Minimserver (saving confirguration files). Restarted server. Downloaded and successfully installed MinimServer-0.8.3.4-x64.spk. When I open Package Center, select Minimserver and click Run message popup says "Failed to run the package service. Minimserver is not running."

I already confirmed that package center setting allows "Any Publisher".

What should I do to get Minimserver running again?

Thanks in advance.

Is the Java7 package showing as Running in Package Center?
Yes, Java 7.0.90-0010 is running.
I have a DS415Play and after migrating to DSM6, and downloaded the x64, I have uninstalled the previous java package (the one I had through community) and installed the native java package (you go to package center, all, then search on java). I have installed java8.

All is working fine.
(24-03-2016 19:02)sbank Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, Java 7.0.90-0010 is running.

It might help to reboot the NAS.
Thanks, uninstalling Java7 and installing Java8 did the trick! Strange that the "Update Java" prompt and button doesn't install Java8.

I appreciate all the fast & helpful replies! :-)
My DS215j also wobbled a little on the DSM6 upgrade, but nothing serious, after DSM6 update I did a manual MinimServer upgrade with Java 7 already installed, although the log said MinimServer had stopped, it was actually running... on reflection it seemed sensible to upgrade Java to V8, so I stopped MinimServer, uninstalled Java V7, installed Java V8 via Package Manager, then a manual update to latest Java V8, and then restart MinimServer. all works well!
(24-03-2016 22:47)Derekab Wrote: [ -> ]My DS215j also wobbled a little on the DSM6 upgrade, but nothing serious, after DSM6 update I did a manual MinimServer upgrade with Java 7 already installed, although the log said MinimServer had stopped, it was actually running... on reflection it seemed sensible to upgrade Java to V8, so I stopped MinimServer, uninstalled Java V7, installed Java V8 via Package Manager, then a manual update to latest Java V8, and then restart MinimServer. all works well!

With this NAS (and all ARMv7 models), you should install Oracle Java by using the Update button within the Java8 package. if you don't do this, MinimServer will run 5 times slower than it should. Sad This is because the Synology Java8 package installs OpenJDK by default.

The next MinimServer update will check for this Java mismatch and report an error.
Simon, Thanks for the swift reply, I did a quick look, this doesn't look like the OpenJDK, or am I wrong?

xxxx@yyyy:~$ java -version
java version "1.8.0_77"
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_77-b03)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 25.77-b03, mixed mode)

Thanks, Derek
(25-03-2016 19:42)Derekab Wrote: [ -> ]Simon, Thanks for the swift reply, I did a quick look, this doesn't look like the OpenJDK, or am I wrong?

xxxx@yyyy:~$ java -version
java version "1.8.0_77"
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_77-b03)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 25.77-b03, mixed mode)

Thanks, Derek

This is fine. When you did "a manual update to latest Java V8", this replaced OpenJDK with Oracle Java, so all is good. Smile
Reference URL's