MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Minimserver crashes and stops on DS-412+
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello Simon,

Lately I've started experiencing a weird problem with minimserver - all of a sudden it would crash and going into the package center on my DS412+ it says that minimserver is stopped.

No other messages appear, even though I'm running minimwatch on my macbook pro.

I am running a 0.8.4 update 77, perhaps some interaction with bubbleupnp is causing this? The only other reason I can think of is that I've lately expanded the size of my music library substantially after adding a lot of DSD albums...

Please advise what logs you want sent where!
Thanks in advance. Minimserver is still head and shoulders above the rest!
(26-02-2016 19:42)Linn_agnostik Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Simon,

Lately I've started experiencing a weird problem with minimserver - all of a sudden it would crash and going into the package center on my DS412+ it says that minimserver is stopped.

No other messages appear, even though I'm running minimwatch on my macbook pro.

I am running a 0.8.4 update 77, perhaps some interaction with bubbleupnp is causing this? The only other reason I can think of is that I've lately expanded the size of my music library substantially after adding a lot of DSD albums...

Please advise what logs you want sent where!
Thanks in advance. Minimserver is still head and shoulders above the rest!

What exactly happens when it crashes? Does the music suddenly stop playing?

You can view the MinimServer log from within the Synology Package Center entry for MinimServer. Does this show anything unusual?
(26-02-2016 23:24)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]What exactly happens when it crashes? Does the music suddenly stop playing?

You can view the MinimServer log from within the Synology Package Center entry for MinimServer. Does this show anything unusual?

Yes, the music stops all of a sudden and the control points just continues trying to play the next item in the playlist, to no avail. I have to open up the laptop, go into the DSM menu and start the minimserver through the packages menu.
The log file (accessed through the DSM menu) doesn't show anything unusual, it also seems to be overwritten every time you start a new instance. Are there any archived log-files anywhere, from a previous run?

One of the things I've noticed is that running bubbleupnp as a wrapper to my new streamer, sometimes I'd get a noticeable (1-2 sec) delay between selecting a playlist on the control point and it actually being served to the streamer - that has never happened before! Minimserver usually crashes several hours after that.
Interestingly enough, looking at the memory usage indicated by the DSM, I notice memory usage hovering around 79-81%, which for my system is the norm..
(27-02-2016 08:03)Linn_agnostik Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, the music stops all of a sudden and the control points just continues trying to play the next item in the playlist, to no avail. I have to open up the laptop, go into the DSM menu and start the minimserver through the packages menu.
The log file (accessed through the DSM menu) doesn't show anything unusual, it also seems to be overwritten every time you start a new instance. Are there any archived log-files anywhere, from a previous run?

There are no archived logs but there might be some archived crash files in the MainimServer/appData folder (see below).

The next time it crashes, don't restart MinimServer immediately. Instead, use File Station to view the MinimServer shared folder and select the appData subfolder. The appData folder should contain files named minimserver.log and minimserver-out.log. Please download both these files before you restart MinimServer and attach these files to a post here. Also, if the appData folder contains any files whose names begin with "minimserver-crash", please download the most recent of these and attach it to a post here.

When I see these files, they should give me some clues about what is causing the problem.

Quote:One of the things I've noticed is that running bubbleupnp as a wrapper to my new streamer, sometimes I'd get a noticeable (1-2 sec) delay between selecting a playlist on the control point and it actually being served to the streamer - that has never happened before! Minimserver usually crashes several hours after that.

Can you try it without the BubbleUPnP wrapper? If the delay only happens with the BubbleUPnP wrapper, this suggests a BubbleUPnP issue rather than a MinimServer issue.

Quote:Interestingly enough, looking at the memory usage indicated by the DSM, I notice memory usage hovering around 79-81%, which for my system is the norm..

This seems high to me. If you look at the memory breakdown by process, which two or three processes are consuming the most memory and how much does each of these consume?
Hello,

This time i've caught it crashing and have not yet restarted. Here are the files you requested.

This is with bubbleupnp wrapper, will try to see if it crashes without (although life without openhome support really sucks)

Ooops, seems like the files were too large to attach, lets see if this link works:

https://gofile.me/21As2/zFonUdb6

Thanks in advance, Simon!
Thanks very much for this!

There is a file named hs_err_pid12160.log with zero length in the archive. If you are able to somehow retrieve the contents of this file, this would be very helpful.

What was happening just before the crash?

It is clear from the minimserver-out.log file that this crash is caused by a bug in ohNet. I have reported the problem to the ohNet developers and I will keep you informed of progress.
Hi there,

thank you for the lookout. The "hs_err_pid12160.log" is with zero length on the server as well. There are other such named fies (with older dates) but I am not sure whether they were related to the same behaviour. One such is here: https://gofile.me/21As2/7ioHCeWW

What is your experience re: ohnet bugs, how responsive are the developers (are we talking weeks, months or longer?)
Thanks for your responsiveness! Wonderful support as always
(11-03-2016 08:05)Linn_agnostik Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there,

thank you for the lookout. The "hs_err_pid12160.log" is with zero length on the server as well. There are other such named fies (with older dates) but I am not sure whether they were related to the same behaviour. One such is here: https://gofile.me/21As2/7ioHCeWW

What is your experience re: ohnet bugs, how responsive are the developers (are we talking weeks, months or longer?)
Thanks for your responsiveness! Wonderful support as always

I would like to see the other files with similar names as they are likely to be related to the same issue. The download link you posted isn't working, so I will PM you with details of how you can get them to me.

The ohNet developers are responsive to bug reports but they aren't always able to pinpoint the cause of the bug. The hs_err_pid files should help with tracking this down.
hs_err_pid files are JVM crashes. the JVM should never crash unless there is a bug in this particular JVM. This can happen sometimes on JVMs compiled for some specific hardware.
Another cause of random JVM crashes can be faulty memory. So it would be advised to run a memory checker.
(11-03-2016 13:19)bubbleguuum Wrote: [ -> ]hs_err_pid files are JVM crashes. the JVM should never crash unless there is a bug in this particular JVM. This can happen sometimes on JVMs compiled for some specific hardware.
Another cause of random JVM crashes can be faulty memory. So it would be advised to run a memory checker.

The crash is an ohNet assertion error. After printing a message, ohNet calls abort() and this causes the hs_err_pid file to be produced.

The other files with similar names are SIGSEGV failures in ohNet, not assertion errors. I will look at the stack traces in them when I get a chance.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's