MinimServer Forum

Full Version: MinimServer (0.8.3f, Raspbian) not discovered by BubbleUPnP when VPN is on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I start Minimserver on my Raspbian (Raspberry Pi 2 model b) without using a VPN, everything works swell with my tablet and phone (using BubbleUPnP on both). The server is discovered and everything plays. But when connected to a VPN (I'm using AirVPN with it's own software, which, as far as I understand, uses OpenVPN system - don't know any more technical details about that) neither of my mobile devices can find Minimserver any more. Closing and restarting Minimserver doesn't help. The AirVPN client does have this network lock feature, that prevents any outside connection if the VPN drops, using some iptables method (again, I don't know how it works exactly), but it should not block any local network connections - my SMB shares, local ssh connections and stuff like that work fine.
I'm using the Minimserver 0.8.3f version with desktop integration, installed according to the instructions.
Any tips? Thanks.
Is the Raspberry Pi connected to AirVPN as a VPN server or a VPN client?

When the problem occurs, is BubbleUPnP connecting to MinimServer across the VPN or across the local network?
(20-02-2016 23:14)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Is the Raspberry Pi connected to AirVPN as a VPN server or a VPN client?

When the problem occurs, is BubbleUPnP connecting to MinimServer across the VPN or across the local network?

I'll try to answer the best I can with my limited technical understanding.

The way I connect my Raspberry to VPN is to start the AirVPN client software (manually), it activates the lock and connects to one of the servers. I can use internet on the Raspberry without the VPN if I close the client or don't open it in the first place.

BubbleUPnP connects through the local network. It detects my other shared media server on an OpenELEC machine, which is not connected to a VPN.

edit: If by the first question you meant to ask if my Raspberry's VPN connection is shared to other devices, then no, it only works as a client and only uses the VPN connection by itself.
I should add that when I browse my Minimserver library via BubbleUPnP with the VPN turned off, and make a queue of music, I'm still able to play that queue even after I turn the VPN back on and I'm unable to see or browse the library anymore. Looking at the info of the playing content I can see my local IP to the Raspberry in the stream url. So the problem only seems to affect the discovery of the Minimserver, not content access.
There was a recent fix for a similar problem. Are you running the latest MinimServer update (update 77)?
(21-02-2016 07:28)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]There was a recent fix for a similar problem. Are you running the latest MinimServer update (update 77)?

Yes, minimserver-0.8-update-77 is on my installed packages list and active (no brackets). Doesn't seem to be working for me. Sad
(21-02-2016 08:03)brencer Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, minimserver-0.8-update-77 is on my installed packages list and active (no brackets). Doesn't seem to be working for me. Sad

I am away from home for the next few days and I won't be able to do any technical investigations until I return home.

Are you able to install any other UPnP media server on your Raspberry Pi to see if the same thing happens? It is possible that AirVPN might be blocking the multicast discovery messages that are exchanged when a UPnP server is discovered by a UPnP control point.
(21-02-2016 19:51)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-02-2016 08:03)brencer Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, minimserver-0.8-update-77 is on my installed packages list and active (no brackets). Doesn't seem to be working for me. Sad

I am away from home for the next few days and I won't be able to do any technical investigations until I return home.

Are you able to install any other UPnP media server on your Raspberry Pi to see if the same thing happens? It is possible that AirVPN might be blocking the multicast discovery messages that are exchanged when a UPnP server is discovered by a UPnP control point.

You're right. I tested UPnP sharing with Kodi and the issue is exactly the same. Clearly this must be an AirVPN problem, so I'll look for a solution there.
Thanks for your help.
Reference URL's