MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Need Ratings tagging for Minimstreamer running on Synology DS415play
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Newbie: I have a collection of 2,500 classical albums and would like to rate them with one to five stars the way I can in Musichi Player and in Synology File Station. Is there a tagging program that will work with Minimstreamer on Synology NAS? A brief search of postings mentioning tagging suggests that there is a "rating tag index." What is this, will it work for me and how would one find it? (Otherwise, I am doing all my tagging and editing with Musichi Suite).

The importance of this is not just defining a core collection, but being able to identify albums which I have not yet played. Or, is there thought to eventually providing this functionality with Minimstreamer? It would help just to be able to tag an album as having been played.

I would appreciate any help or comment.

Thank you.
(17-01-2016 05:58)butterfly75 Wrote: [ -> ]Newbie: I have a collection of 2,500 classical albums and would like to rate them with one to five stars the way I can in Musichi Player and in Synology File Station. Is there a tagging program that will work with Minimstreamer on Synology NAS? A brief search of postings mentioning tagging suggests that there is a "rating tag index." What is this, will it work for me and how would one find it? (Otherwise, I am doing all my tagging and editing with Musichi Suite).

The importance of this is not just defining a core collection, but being able to identify albums which I have not yet played. Or, is there thought to eventually providing this functionality with Minimstreamer? It would help just to be able to tag an album as having been played.

I would appreciate any help or comment.

Thank you.

I have moved this thread to the Support section of the forum because it relates to MinimServer, not MinimStreamer.

MinimServer reads tags but doesn't create or modify them. To add RATING tags to your files, you need to use a tagging program that supports this. You should be able to do this with Mp3tag (Windows). Metadatics (Mac) or puddletag (Linux).

After you have done this, you can add 'Rating' to the indexTags list in MinimServer to see the ratings for your files.
The rating business looks like it is more complicated than one would assume, since one generally sees 1-5 stars. Take a look at this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3#ID3v2_..._tag_issue .

I have never rated my albums, so I can't speak from experience; I ran across these pages while doing some research recently. If you use FLAC files, it's an open question what would happen if you created a RATING tag and entered a value for it. My hunch is that most control points wouldn't know what to do with it, but there's no harm in experimenting (let us know if you try--I certainly could be wrong).

If your files are tagged with the ID3v2 system, then you should be able to use the POPM frame as described on the page I referenced.

Edit: the following just occurred to me. You have MusiCHI. Open its library or tagger and look at the tag mappings (standard). For FLAC files, it maps its own Rating to a custom RATING Flac tag. For MP3 and other formats, it maps Rating to POPM. MusiCHI normally stores your tags in the actual files rather than in a database of its own. (There may be exceptions, I'm not sure.) Rate a file in MusiCHI and see what happens when you play it in MinimServer (after adding 'Rating' to the indexTag list). You could also use another program like foobar2000 to look at the file you rated in MusiCHI and see the actual value.

Example: you rate a FLAC file in MusiCHI as 2 stars. foobar or Mp3tag or whatever shows you that a RATING tag of (let's say) 90 was created by MusiCHI. If your control point shows two stars for this file, you can use any software you wish, not just MusiCHI, to enter 90 for two stars.
(17-01-2016 20:58)magister Wrote: [ -> ]The rating business looks like it is more complicated than one would assume, since one generally sees 1-5 stars. Take a look at this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3#ID3v2_..._tag_issue .

I have never rated my albums, so I can't speak from experience; I ran across these pages while doing some research recently. If you use FLAC files, it's an open question what would happen if you created a RATING tag and entered a value for it. My hunch is that most control points wouldn't know what to do with it, but there's no harm in experimenting (let us know if you try--I certainly could be wrong).

If your files are tagged with the ID3v2 system, then you should be able to use the POPM frame as described on the page I referenced.

Thanks for this helpful information.

It would (at least) be possible to create a MinimServer index menu for the RATING tag so that the user can view rating values while browsing the library.
Thank you for the help. However, mp3tag does not support WAV format, unless there is modification software that can enable me to use it with minimserver. Is there a way to do this? I will check out Musichi for options for WAV.
(18-01-2016 00:02)butterfly75 Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the help. However, mp3tag does not support WAV format, unless there is modification software that can enable me to use it with minimserver. Is there a way to do this? I will check out Musichi for options for WAV.

You should be able to add tags to WAV files by using dBpoweramp Music Converter to do a WAV to WAV conversion with the DSP effect "ID Tag Processing".
Hi Simon,
How to setup well Minimserver to get a random list of best rating items with Bubbleupnp app ??

my music library is well organized with perfect tagging including rating on some files with Dbpoweramp (RATING field for flac at 5, POPM rating for mp3 and wav at 255). I have 0 error on scan of my library of 5500 files with Minimserver setup on my Readynas Ultra2.
With JRiverMC pointing on NAS library, no issue to generate a random playlist of N items with rating 5 (rating provided by tag info in to file).

I would like to get same with Minimserver + Bubbleupnp android app (I have license) + DLNA renderer. How to setup well Minimserver to get it??

It is a key functionality for me to go ahead with DLNA based system with Minimserver as masterpiece.

Thanks
(10-04-2016 16:57)frorqf13 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simon,
How to setup well Minimserver to get a random list of best rating items with Bubbleupnp app ??

my music library is well organized with perfect tagging including rating on some files with Dbpoweramp (RATING field for flac at 5, POPM rating for mp3 and wav at 255). I have 0 error on scan of my library of 5500 files with Minimserver setup on my Readynas Ultra2.
With JRiverMC pointing on NAS library, no issue to generate a random playlist of N items with rating 5 (rating provided by tag info in to file).

I would like to get same with Minimserver + Bubbleupnp android app (I have license) + DLNA renderer. How to setup well Minimserver to get it??

It is a key functionality for me to go ahead with DLNA based system with Minimserver as masterpiece.

Thanks

MinimServer doesn't currently support generating random playlists. You can generate a random playlist in BubbleUPnP but I believe the randomisation is across the whole library and can't be limited to a subset such as a rating selection.
Hi Simon,
Thanks for feedback. In the meantime Minimserver in collaboration with Bublesoft software team will propose smart list management (!!), how to best setup Minimserver to list whole items with rating 5 (matching with RATING field 5 on flac files and POPM field at 255 on mp3 and wav files tagged with ID3v2.3)

Thks and Rgds
(15-04-2016 21:45)frorqf13 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simon,
Thanks for feedback. In the meantime Minimserver in collaboration with Bublesoft software team will propose smart list management (!!), how to best setup Minimserver to list whole items with rating 5 (matching with RATING field 5 on flac files and POPM field at 255 on mp3 and wav files tagged with ID3v2.3)

Thks and Rgds

You can add the Rating tag to the indexTags property to get an index by rating value for your FLAC files. MinimServer doesn't currently read the ID3v2 POPM frame.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's