MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Album and track count different
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everybody,
I'm Avalon from the Linn forum and I'm an AudioholicBig Grin. I have just migrated my music collection from a windows home server based system which I have had in constant use since April 2008, it is an Ava Rs3 ripping server from Tranquil Pc in Manchester, excellent machine, fanless and still has no errors or problems, however I realise I'm on borrowed time and after the Linn forum event and meeting with the Premier inn gang and the esteemed and Knowledgable Brian from Edinburgh, I decided to buy a couple of Qnap nases and 4 WD 3 bt red drives.
The gang in Scotland spoke highly of Minimserver and so after using Asset from Db poweramp For the last 7 years I downloaded minimserver, donated and loaded minim watch, minim watch was a bit prickly to install on my windows 7 machine, firstly a firewall blocked it, fair enough it wasn't too hard to get around that, but 3 times during the install process it got stuck and just wouldn't load. Eventually it did load, then it wouldn't work so I had to uninstall and reinstall, eventually all was fine if however a bit frustrating.
Now after all that preamble the reason I'm posting, I very carefully copied everything from the windows server across to the Qnap, but according to Minimserver using Kinsky or songbooklite as a CP I have 1,291 albums and 17,977 tracks, Lumin CP tells me I have 1,292 albums, however when I look at my windows server using Kinsky or songbooklite I have 1,344 albums and 18,012 tracks. I know the obvious answer is I missed some but I'm sure I didn't , so if I didn't what is happening? As I'm writing this a thought has come to me, is it possible that minimserver would consider a 2 disc album as one album? Whereas asset definetly sees them as two. Mind you the track count should be the same....
I'm not sure whether it's settings in minimserver or something else and I don't know where to look for the tag settings if such a thing is available to the user on minim server. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction please.
One more question, probably one of many I may askBig Grin I notice on minimserver there are two trees on CP one for Artist and another for All Artists, when I click on Artist, 153 of my albums are dumped into one big folder, most of these albums do contain Chinese lettering, asset does not discriminate in this way, why?
When I click on All Artists the albums with the Chinese lettering are now free of their folder and appear as asset displays them. Why the difference? I tend not to trust these to view my collection so tend to use albums instead.
If I could be so bold to make a request, on Artist and All Artist could I have artwork instead of a blank container as my eyesight isn't as sharp as it should be and I'm also used to browsing these artist containers visually.
I'm going to keep using minimserver and see how I get on with it, it must be good as everybody on the Linn forum says soWink

Avalon
Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

Can you give more details about the MinimWatch install process getting stuck? Was this during the install process or when you launched MinimWatch at the end of the install process? If it was the latter, this might be because of problems with the download server when MinimWatch tried to automatically download and apply the latest updates. If this is what happened, it shouldn't have caused MinimWatch to "not work" and I will do some investigation to see if there is an issue with the error handling code for this situation. If you can describe the problems you experienced in any more detail, this would be very helpful.

Regarding possible missing tracks and albums, have you looked at the MinimServer log? You can view this by selecting 'Show log' from the minim icon in MinimWatch. You might see some error messages there and these might correspond to the tracks that are missing.

MinimServer does combine multidisc albums if the album titles are the same or if they are the same except for a suffix of [Disc n] or (Disc n). This is explained in this section of the online User guide and it is a good idea to read through this guide to fully understand the capabilities of MinimServer.

The Artist display shows the Artist and AlbumArtist tags that apply to a complete album and the All Artists display shows the Artist tags on all album tracks. I don''t know why this would relate to Chinese lettering unless a lot of your albums have an Artist or AlbumArtist tag containing Chinese lettering. It might be helpful if you could post a screenshot showing what you are seeing.

I believe Asset picks a random album cover for each artist and uses it when you browse for the artist. In a discussion some time ago (on the Linn forum if I recall correctly), this approach was not favoured by anumber of people including myself. There has been recent discussion on this forum (see this post and subsequent discussion) about adding support for user-specified images for artists, composers, conductors, etc. and this is on my list of possible enhancements for a future release.
(12-11-2015 12:16)Avalon Wrote: [ -> ].. but according to Minimserver using Kinsky or songbooklite as a CP I have 1,291 albums and 17,977 tracks, Lumin CP tells me I have 1,292 albums, however when I look at my windows server using Kinsky or songbooklite I have 1,344 albums and 18,012 tracks. I know the obvious answer is I missed some but I'm sure I didn't , so if I didn't what is happening? As I'm writing this a thought has come to me, is it possible that minimserver would consider a 2 disc album as one album? Whereas asset definetly sees them as two. Mind you the track count should be the same....
I addition to the multi-disc issue as described in the user guide, I had issues with AlbumArtists when I first started using Minimserver. On some Albums I had two separate AlbumArtist tags. Minimserver treated these differently from my other servers - there were warnings in the log. If this applies to you there are solutions, some of which are non-trivial, so for the moment I won't go into what I did to get around this.
(12-11-2015 15:34)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

Can you give more details about the MinimWatch install process getting stuck? Was this during the install process or when you launched MinimWatch at the end of the install process? If it was the latter, this might be because of problems with the download server when MinimWatch tried to automatically download and apply the latest updates. If this is what happened, it shouldn't have caused MinimWatch to "not work" and I will do some investigation to see if there is an issue with the error handling code for this situation. If you can describe the problems you experienced in any more detail, this would be very helpful.

Regarding possible missing tracks and albums, have you looked at the MinimServer log? You can view this by selecting 'Show log' from the minim icon in MinimWatch. You might see some error messages there and these might correspond to the tracks that are missing.

MinimServer does combine multidisc albums if the album titles are the same or if they are the same except for a suffix of [Disc n] or (Disc n). This is explained in this section of the online User guide and it is a good idea to read through this guide to fully understand the capabilities of MinimServer.

The Artist display shows the Artist and AlbumArtist tags that apply to a complete album and the All Artists display shows the Artist tags on all album tracks. I don''t know why this would relate to Chinese lettering unless a lot of your albums have an Artist or AlbumArtist tag containing Chinese lettering. It might be helpful if you could post a screenshot showing what you are seeing.

I believe Asset picks a random album cover for each artist and uses it when you browse for the artist. In a discussion some time ago (on the Linn forum if I recall correctly), this approach was not favoured by anumber of people including myself. There has been recent discussion on this forum (see this post and subsequent discussion) about adding support for user-specified images for artists, composers, conductors, etc. and this is on my list of possible enhancements for a future release.

Hi Simon, sorry I haven't had the time to give you feed back. During the minimwatch install, partly through the download a dialogue box would pop up saying that a newer version is available and nothing would proceed until I clicked, then in a second or two the download would fail, this happened 3 times even though it was the latest update that I had chosen and the correct version for my windows 7, I cannot explain this other than I was about to give up. However with hindsight minim watch was actually beginig to activate itself on the desktop bar, so it was working and did download, even though it said that it hadn't. I un installed it anyway and re loaded which went completely smoothly. That's the way I remember it, but I'm human so there could be some error.....

Regarding the minim server log, viewed usin minim watch lots of albums are described as "illegal" not sure what this means, most are downloads but one is a Tom Jones album, Praise And Blame which was a ripped cd, bought from amazon and ripped with DB Poweramp. The aforementioned albums are seen my minim server and play as normal.

I will post a screen shot at the weekend regarding the tagging of Chinese albums in the Artist folder at the weekend when I have time.

Regarding the brief discussion regarding artwork on the Artist folder, I personally would vote for something rather than nothing as no artwork makes the CP look very bland and I like browsing visually by artwork. That's just me and I'm sure I'm not alone, I don't care which album artwork comes up first as long as something does. Anyway that's my preference. No artwork at the moment makes me switch to Kazzo server while I browse the artist folder. I suppose it's what I'm used with asset and kazoo and songbooklite, so I don't want less I want the same or more Smile

Avalon
Reference URL's