MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Search Function
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Simon,

Apologies if I have misunderstood this before but perhaps I have just not encountered it before - has the UPNP search changed?

I use minimserver on the Melco with Kazoo. I tried to find an artist today that I 'thought' I had found this way many times before and yet today the name didn't surface. I realised now it was because the album artist name differed from the artist name. I had always assumed that the search was on the album artist's name. I think this was because I had the impression that this was/appeared the dominant field for minimserver in terms of shaping menus etc. i.e. - how you handle various artists etc.

Has it always searched on artists name instead album artist? Or is this a conscious or maybe even an unconscious change? It may not be recent particularly because on most albums I wouldn't noticed. Now I know it isn't a big deal - just caught me out this morning. I couldn't find anything in the manual under UPNP search that clarified it.

Thanks

Martin
Nothing has changed in MinimServer. This is caused by the way Kazoo issues UPnP Search queries. When you use Kazoo to search for "foo", Kazoo sends the following queries to MinimServer:

upnp:class derivedfrom "object.container.person" and dc:title contains "foo"
upnp:class derivedfrom "object.item.audioItem" and ( dc:title contains "foo" or upnp:album contains "foo" or upnp:artist contains "foo" or upnp:genre contains "foo" )
upnp:class derivedfrom "object.container.album" and dc:title contains "foo"

These queries are searching tracks for an artist named "foo" and searching albums for a title named "foo". They will not find an album with an album artist named foo.

If you do a search for "foo" from BubbleUPnP, the UPnP Search queries are as follows:

(upnp:class = "object.container.person.musicArtist" and dc:title contains "foo")
(upnp:class = "object.container.album.musicAlbum" and upnp:artist contains "foo")
(upnp:class = "object.container.album.musicAlbum" and dc:title contains "foo")
(upnp:class derivedfrom "object.item.audioItem" and (dc:creator contains "foo" or upnp:artist contains "foo"))
(upnp:class derivedfrom "object.item.audioItem" and dc:title contains "foo")
(upnp:class derivedfrom "object.item.videoItem" and dc:title contains "foo")

The second of these queries will find an album with an album artist named "foo".

I will check some other servers to see whether they respond to the Kazoo queries in the same way.
I tried Asset and an old version of Twonky. In both cases, the album with an album artist of "foo" was not found by the Kazoo search.
Simon

Thanks for the response. Perhaps by fluke I had never search for this artist before, which seems unlikely but who knows. If it's OK I will post a summary of this dialog on the Linn site to see what response I get. I would assume a lot of minimserver/kazoo users would have this problem and would never find certain artists with a search but simply might not notice. Half expect Linn to say I should just use Kazoo server but let's see.

Thanks
(08-11-2015 01:17)Martin H Wrote: [ -> ]Simon

Thanks for the response. Perhaps by fluke I had never search for this artist before, which seems unlikely but who knows. If it's OK I will post a summary of this dialog on the Linn site to see what response I get. I would assume a lot of minimserver/kazoo users would have this problem and would never find certain artists with a search but simply might not notice. Half expect Linn to say I should just use Kazoo server but let's see.

Thanks

Yes, please go ahead and post this to the Linn forum. The fix is for Linn to change the Kazoo search queries to:

upnp:class derivedfrom "object.container.person" and dc:title contains "foo"
upnp:class derivedfrom "object.item.audioItem" and ( dc:title contains "foo" or upnp:album contains "foo" or upnp:artist contains "foo" or upnp:genre contains "foo" )
upnp:class derivedfrom "object.container.album" and ( dc:title contains "foo" or upnp:artist contains "foo" )
Sorry for the delay - got distracted. Duly posted Smile
Simon,

Can I just check what will be returned by this response please. I understand that the album artists matching the query will be returned. But is it the case that the query as you have written it WILL NOT return the Albums in which the query name appears on say a single track (in the Artist tag)?

i.e. - if I tag the Mississippi track as artist Kellie While and the album artist as Various Artists. If I search for Kellie will your query find this track/album or not?

I am just making sure I am clear on what your proposal will result in.

From user's perspective I just want to find the artist and I suspect that means both tags need to be searched against but without showing any specific album twice in the response obviously.

Hope this makes sense.
(15-11-2015 14:18)Martin H Wrote: [ -> ]Simon,

Can I just check what will be returned by this response please. I understand that the album artists matching the query will be returned. But is it the case that the query as you have written it WILL NOT return the Albums in which the query name appears on say a single track (in the Artist tag)?

i.e. - if I tag the Mississippi track as artist Kellie While and the album artist as Various Artists. If I search for Kellie will your query find this track/album or not?

I am just making sure I am clear on what your proposal will result in.

From user's perspective I just want to find the artist and I suspect that means both tags need to be searched against but without showing any specific album twice in the response obviously.

Hope this makes sense.

This query:

will find the Mississippi track when you search for Kellie but not when you search for Various.

This query:

upnp:class derivedfrom "object.container.album" and ( dc:title contains "foo" or upnp:artist contains "foo" )

will find the album containing the Mississippi track when you search for Various but not when you search for Kellie.
Ahhh.

So simplistically - as a dumb user if they shape the query as you have posted - i.e. with both of those queries in it then I will get both tags searched but minimserver will only return the item once. Assuming that interpretation is right then that is perfect. Smile

Thanks for your patience.
(15-11-2015 19:29)Martin H Wrote: [ -> ]Ahhh.

So simplistically - as a dumb user if they shape the query as you have posted - i.e. with both of those queries in it then I will get both tags searched but minimserver will only return the item once. Assuming that interpretation is right then that is perfect. Smile

Thanks for your patience.

Kazoo is sending three separate search queries, so the same track or album could be returned more than once in the results from different queries.

For example, if you have a track named "foo bar" by an artist named "john foo" in an album named "best of foo", searching for "foo" using Kazoo will return the following:

1) A list of artists containing the artist "john foo". If you open the "john foo" entry, you will see the "best of foo" album which contains the "foo bar" track.

2) A list of tracks containing the "foo bar" track.

3) A list of albums containing the album "best of foo". If you open this album, you will see the "foo bar" track.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's