MinimServer Forum

Full Version: MinimStreamer reconnect when recording
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Guys, my internet can be a little tempormental and more often than not when I'm recording BBC Radio One for 6 hours it'll puke because of a ISP interruption and I get a partial recording. Is there a config item to make MinimStreamer reconnect and either append to the partial recording or create another file with the rest of the audio in it ?

Thanks a lot

Andy
(10-10-2015 15:08)acowx Wrote: [ -> ]Guys, my internet can be a little tempormental and more often than not when I'm recording BBC Radio One for 6 hours it'll puke because of a ISP interruption and I get a partial recording. Is there a config item to make MinimStreamer reconnect and either append to the partial recording or create another file with the rest of the audio in it ?

Thanks a lot

Andy

Not at present. How long are the network interruptions?
(10-10-2015 16:56)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-10-2015 15:08)acowx Wrote: [ -> ]Guys, my internet can be a little tempormental and more often than not when I'm recording BBC Radio One for 6 hours it'll puke because of a ISP interruption and I get a partial recording. Is there a config item to make MinimStreamer reconnect and either append to the partial recording or create another file with the rest of the audio in it ?

Thanks a lot

Andy

Not at present. How long are the network interruptions?
Simon, honestly I think it happens when I have a lot of activity on the LAN. I got two perfect recordings on Weds/Thurs because I was at work and my home network was doing nothing aside from streaming/recording.

On Friday and today I got 18 minutes of audio and 1.25 hours respectively, I'm theorizing that the stream pukes because I have my kids playing Minecraft, I'm running Citrix and my wife is watching YouTube.

Plausible ? Maybe I need to slim down the stream ? I'm using the non-uk lower bit-rate AAC stream for BBC Radio 1.....
This is the error I get

MinimStreamer: started recording task R1+0800-1400*
Error while reading HLS stream: java.io.IOException: Resource not available: bbc_radio_one-audio=96000-225700525.ts
MinimStreamer: recording task R1+0800-1400* has completed
(10-10-2015 18:56)acowx Wrote: [ -> ]Simon, honestly I think it happens when I have a lot of activity on the LAN. I got two perfect recordings on Weds/Thurs because I was at work and my home network was doing nothing aside from streaming/recording.

On Friday and today I got 18 minutes of audio and 1.25 hours respectively, I'm theorizing that the stream pukes because I have my kids playing Minecraft, I'm running Citrix and my wife is watching YouTube.

Plausible ? Maybe I need to slim down the stream ? I'm using the non-uk lower bit-rate AAC stream for BBC Radio 1.....

If you can correlate the recording failures with other network activity, it is very likely that the other network activity is causing the failures.

In theory, it would be possible for MinimStreamer to attempt to reconnect to a recorded stream after an occasional random problem. In your situation, it sounds like trying to do this would result in repeated failures and increased network load.

It sounds like you are already using the "slimmest" stream, so no further slimming would be poissible.
(10-10-2015 21:26)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-10-2015 18:56)acowx Wrote: [ -> ]Simon, honestly I think it happens when I have a lot of activity on the LAN. I got two perfect recordings on Weds/Thurs because I was at work and my home network was doing nothing aside from streaming/recording.

If you can correlate the recording failures with other network activity, it is very likely that the other network activity is causing the failures.

In theory, it would be possible for MinimStreamer to attempt to reconnect to a recorded stream after an occasional random problem. In your situation, it sounds like trying to do this would result in repeated failures and increased network load.

It sounds like you are already using the "slimmest" stream, so no further slimming would be poissible.
Thank you sir.

Are you suggesting that MinimStreamer can reconnect as it stands through some additional configuration. Or would a code enhancement be required ?
(10-10-2015 21:56)acowx Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you sir.

Are you suggesting that MinimStreamer can reconnect as it stands through some additional configuration. Or would a code enhancement be required ?

There is no setting to do this. Adding this would require a code enhancement and I'm not convinced that it would do much to improve your situation.

You might be able to reduce the number of failures by using the delayHLS option as described in this section. Try setting delayHLS=20 to see if this makes a difference.
(10-10-2015 19:03)acowx Wrote: [ -> ]This is the error I get

Error while reading HLS stream: java.io.IOException: Resource not available: bbc_radio_one-audio=96000-225700525.ts

I would like to get more information about what caused this problem. Please do the following:

1) From the minim icon, select 'Show log'
2) In the log window, change the logging level to Debug
3) Leave the logging window open
4) Start a recording
5) When the recording stops unexpectedly, click 'Save as' in the log window to save a log file
6) Zip the log file and attach it to a post here as a file attachment (not pasted inline)
7) In the log window, change the logging level back to Info

This log information might help me find a way of preventing the recording stopping immediately when there is a network error.
(12-10-2015 12:52)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]

I would like to get more information about what caused this problem. Please do the following:

4) Start a recording
5) When the recording stops unexpectedly, click 'Save as' in the log window to save a log file
6) Zip the log file and attach it to a post here as a file attachment (not pasted inline)

This log information might help me find a way of preventing the recording stopping immediately when there is a network error.
OK, doing that now.
(12-10-2015 22:21)acowx Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-10-2015 12:52)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]

4) Start a recording

OK, doing that now.
Log attached, error at 18:18
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's