MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Presentation of multi-artist data in All Artists view
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I currently have the Artist tag for multi-artist tracks set to something like this:

Artist "B.B. King; Van Morrison"

When browsing by All Artists, I would like the same track/album to appear under B.B. King and separately for Van Morrison. What I have is an All Artist entry for "B.B. King/Van Morrison". With many multi-artist tracks where the contributing artists are also main artists on other albums, this is creating a huge amount of clutter in my All Artists view. Is there an option I can set to force each contributing artist to be treated separately in the All Artists view?

Thanks.
(09-10-2015 19:00)ac16161 Wrote: [ -> ]I currently have the Artist tag for multi-artist tracks set to something like this:

Artist "B.B. King; Van Morrison"

When browsing by All Artists, I would like the same track/album to appear under B.B. King and separately for Van Morrison. What I have is an All Artist entry for "B.B. King/Van Morrison". With many multi-artist tracks where the contributing artists are also main artists on other albums, this is creating a huge amount of clutter in my All Artists view. Is there an option I can set to force each contributing artist to be treated separately in the All Artists view?

Thanks.

This should be working in the way you are expecting.

What is the format of your files (e.g., MP3, M4A, ALAC, FLAC, WAV, etc.)?

Which tagging program are you using?

What is your full setting for the tagFormat property?
The problem files turned out to be in ALAC format. I converted them to FLAC and the problem was fixed. I use dBpoweramp for all ripping, converting and tag editing. The tagFormat option is as follows:

Artist.displayFormat={$artist}

Most of my library is already FLAC, guess I'll convert the remaining ALAC files.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Just noticed a few iTunes downloads with multi-artist tags that get mis-displayed in the All Artists view (i.e. they are concatenated with a '/' separator rather than filed under each individual artist).
(09-10-2015 21:34)ac16161 Wrote: [ -> ]Just noticed a few iTunes downloads with multi-artist tags that get mis-displayed in the All Artists view (i.e. they are concatenated with a '/' separator rather than filed under each individual artist).

What is the format of these problem files (e.g., MP3, M4A/AAC, M4A/ALAC, etc.)?

Have you checked the tags in these files using a tagging program (not iTunes) to make sure the Artist tag isn't in the form "artist1/artist2"?
I have dBpoweramp configured so that when I right-click on a track in Windows Explorer, I have the "Edit ID-Tag" option so I can see all the raw tag data. That's how I verified I had some M4A/ALAC files with Artist tag set to "Artist 1; Artist 2" but in the All Artists view on my control point they were showing as "Artist 1/Artist 2". As mentioned above, converting those to FLAC stopped the behaviour. I have some iTunes purchased tracks (M4A/AAC) that also mis-behave, I can confirm they have Artist tag in "Artist 1; Artist 2" format but the All Artists view shows "Artist 1/Artist 2". I'd prefer not to convert these to FLAC, but curious to understand the root cause.
(09-10-2015 23:53)ac16161 Wrote: [ -> ]I have dBpoweramp configured so that when I right-click on a track in Windows Explorer, I have the "Edit ID-Tag" option so I can see all the raw tag data. That's how I verified I had some M4A/ALAC files with Artist tag set to "Artist 1; Artist 2" but in the All Artists view on my control point they were showing as "Artist 1/Artist 2". As mentioned above, converting those to FLAC stopped the behaviour. I have some iTunes purchased tracks (M4A/AAC) that also mis-behave, I can confirm they have Artist tag in "Artist 1; Artist 2" format but the All Artists view shows "Artist 1/Artist 2". I'd prefer not to convert these to FLAC, but curious to understand the root cause.

Please upload one of these iTunes AAC files to my FTP server and I will investigate further. I will PM you the server details.
Thanks for uploading the file. The Artist tag is set to "Marc Almond/Gene Pitney". You can see this by opening the file in a tagging program such as Mp3tag.

To get the artists indexed separately, you need to edit the tags to use a separate Artist tag for each artist. In Mp3tag, you would do this by changing the Artist tag value to "Marc Almond\\Gene Pitney"
(10-10-2015 21:36)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for uploading the file. The Artist tag is set to "Marc Almond/Gene Pitney". You can see this by opening the file in a tagging program such as Mp3tag.

To get the artists indexed separately, you need to edit the tags to use a separate Artist tag for each artist. In Mp3tag, you would do this by changing the Artist tag value to "Marc Almond\\Gene Pitney"

Thanks - this is very interesting. My installation of dBpoweramp is showing the Artist as "Marc Almond; Gene Pitney", yet numerous other applications (MinimServer, Foobar, MP3Tag) show the Artist as "Marc Almond/Gene Pitney". I have always taken dBpoweramp's tag representation for granted. Curiously, it does know that there are multiple contributing artists since upon conversion to FLAC I get a correct multi-artist entry that all other programs recognise. Hence when I converted my problem ALAC files (which had been created with dBpoweramp), all the multi-artist issues with those files were resolved. So, looks like I'm heading over to the dBpoweramp forum to try and find out more.

Appreciate the time taken to look at this.
(11-10-2015 08:35)ac16161 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks - this is very interesting. My installation of dBpoweramp is showing the Artist as "Marc Almond; Gene Pitney", yet numerous other applications (MinimServer, Foobar, MP3Tag) show the Artist as "Marc Almond/Gene Pitney". I have always taken dBpoweramp's tag representation for granted. Curiously, it does know that there are multiple contributing artists since upon conversion to FLAC I get a correct multi-artist entry that all other programs recognise. Hence when I converted my problem ALAC files (which had been created with dBpoweramp), all the multi-artist issues with those files were resolved. So, looks like I'm heading over to the dBpoweramp forum to try and find out more.

Appreciate the time taken to look at this.

All this suggests that dBpoweramp is treating the '/' character as a multi-tag separator. This isn't compliant with the tagging standards for M4A files.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's