MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Minimserver not IPv6 compatible??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thanks for the pointer to the Annex document describing how IPv6 can be supported by UPnP AV devices.

This support isn't available in the ohNet stack used by MinimServer, which means that MinimServer will be limited to using IPv4 for UPnP communication for the foreseeable future.

The problems with accessing the MinimServer status web page over IPv6 is caused by the fix for the issue described in this post. The fix was for MinimServer to make Java use the IPv4 stack by setting a system property. This setting has the effect of completely disabling IPv6 support in the Java libraries.

I am reluctant to remove the current setting to make IPv4 the default because I am concerned that this change might cause the previously reported problem to reappear on some network configurations. An alternative would be for MinimServer to provide a property setting that enables the user to make the MinimServer status web page accessible via IPv6. Because of technical constraints with how Java supports IPv6, enabling this setting would force MinimServer to also use the Java IPv6 stack for music streaming, which might cause compatibility problems with some older network equipment.

This solution isn't ideal but it is the best that can be achieved given the Java constraints. I am hoping to support it in the next release (not update) of MinimServer.
Thank you Simon.

In my previous post, I was trying to point out to the OP that making MinimServer IPv6 capable, even when and if that is ever technically feasible, is not likely to be a priority for the foreseeable future. I suspect that the answer to his problem is to revert his LAN to IPv4 rather than struggle on with incompletely implemented IPv6.

The more I think about IPv6 on the LAN, the less I like it. I am not sure that I want all my devices to be in the same address space as every other device in creation, including those used by security agencies and malware writers. We all know why IPv6 is required for WAN use. But IPv6 on the LAN just seems like a questionable fix for something that actually works.

David
(25-09-2015 17:06)DavidHB Wrote: [ -> ]In my previous post, I was trying to point out to the OP that making MinimServer IPv6 capable, even when and if that is ever technically feasible, is not likely to be a priority for the foreseeable future. I suspect that the answer to his problem is to revert his LAN to IPv4 rather than struggle on with incompletely implemented IPv6.

There is a subtle distinction between MinimServer supporting IPv6 for UPnP (which is unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future) and enabling the MinimServer status web page to be accessed using an IPv6 address. There might possibly be a valid requirement for the latter with some network setups and this is why I have been investigating adding limited support for this capability.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's