MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Minimserver crashes all of a sudden
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

The last few days my minimserver started crashing - it's been running flawless on my Synology DS-412+ (with all OS updates installed) for may months.

Suddenly I start seeing it disappearing from my Lumin control point, when I check w the laptop and minimwatch I see it crashed.

The log says:
MinimServer[Ds412plus] is running
MinimServer: exception while processing action request: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Arrays.java:2367)
at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.expandCapacity(AbstractStringBuilder.java:130)
at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.ensureCapacityInternal(AbstractStringBuilder.jav​a:114)
at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.append(AbstractStringBuilder.java:415)
at java.lang.StringBuilder.append(StringBuilder.java:132)
at com.minimserver.Server.append(Server.java:6616)
at com.minimserver.Server.access$8700(Server.java:109)
at com.minimserver.Server$TrackItem.getDIDL(Server.java:14196)
at com.minimserver.Server$Container.getContentsDIDL(Server.java:14521)
at com.minimserver.Server$ContentDirectoryProvider.doBrowse(Server.java:18067)
at com.minimserver.Server$ContentDirectoryProvider.browse(Server.java:18014)
at org.openhome.net.device.providers.DvProviderUpnpOrgContentDirectory1$DoBrowse.ac​tionInvoked(DvProviderUpnpOrgContentDirectory1.java:978)
MinimServer error: now stopped, use 'restart' or 'exit'

Any ideas? I've added a couple of new albums and done a few re-scans lately, but surely that can't be the reason?
Simon, thanks in advance!

P.S. - looking at "top" on my DS412+, I saw the java process had accumulated 425M of memory... wow.. Is that normal?
Java is 1.7.0_79
...crashed again!
Wonder what's happening?!
One surefire way to trigger a crash is submit an update my library request from Lumin's CP. I've done so hundreds of times before, with no problems...
What's happening, is my library too large all of a sudden?
(26-06-2015 10:19)Linn_agnostik Wrote: [ -> ]...crashed again!
Wonder what's happening?!
One surefire way to trigger a crash is submit an update my library request from Lumin's CP. I've done so hundreds of times before, with no problems...
What's happening, is my library too large all of a sudden?

Your library might be too large for the Java heap size on your NAS. How many albums and tracks does it contain?

You can check MinimServer memory usage by doing the following:

1) In the Advanced tab of the Properties window, set the resourceInfo property to 1000
2) Stop and restart MinimServer from the Synology Package Center
3) When MinimServer has restarted, use 'Show log' from the minim icon to open the log window
4) In the log window, click 'Save as' to save a log file
5) Zip the saved log file and attach it to a post here

If you can't get as far as step 4 because of the crash, you can retrieve the log file by opening Synology File station and navigating to MinimServer > appData > minimserver.log.

I will look at the log file and let you know what is causing the problem.
Hello Simon,
my library is pretty large, but not excessively so - I have approx 4800 albums, vast majority in FLAC.
I've done as instructed, the file is attached.
Thanks in advance!
(26-06-2015 14:55)Linn_agnostik Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Simon,
my library is pretty large, but not excessively so - I have approx 4800 albums, vast majority in FLAC.
I've done as instructed, the file is attached.
Thanks in advance!

Thanks for this. It shows that you are using 20225760 heap bytes, with a maximum of 251396096. This is less than 10% of the memory available.

It seems that something is happening later (perhaps related to the LUMIN rescans) that is using a large amount of extra heap space.

Please leave the resourceInfo setting in effect and wait for the next crash. When the crash happens, copy the log file using File Station as I described in my previous post, then zip the log file and attach it to a post here. Many thanks!
will do, thanks Simon!
Reference URL's