MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Minimserver does not show on network
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry to post what should be an easy question but I've spent weeks without success.

I'm running Minimserver/JPlay on a 2 PC setup and cannot access Minimserver from network control points. I can access it via Kazoo on the local machine.

I have tried several control PC's with both Windows 8 and 2012 all with the same problem. All have two ethernet cards installed, one configured as default and connected to my home network, the other configured with static ip and connected directly to the Audio PC via crossover cable.

I've checked that Java is unrestricted in firewall. I was able to get it to work in only one test instance by completely disabling the Windows firewall. However I cannot get it to work in any other scenario or my preferred setup. Right now I even have that machine DMZ in the router but still no joy.

Not sure what to try next. Appreciate a pointer of what to look for next. Thanks.
(07-06-2015 21:41)bgladdy Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to post what should be an easy question but I've spent weeks without success.

I'm running Minimserver/JPlay on a 2 PC setup and cannot access Minimserver from network control points. I can access it via Kazoo on the local machine.

I have tried several control PC's with both Windows 8 and 2012 all with the same problem. All have two ethernet cards installed, one configured as default and connected to my home network, the other configured with static ip and connected directly to the Audio PC via crossover cable.

I've checked that Java is unrestricted in firewall. I was able to get it to work in only one test instance by completely disabling the Windows firewall. However I cannot get it to work in any other scenario or my preferred setup. Right now I even have that machine DMZ in the router but still no joy.

Not sure what to try next. Appreciate a pointer of what to look for next. Thanks.

As I understand it, your setup involves 3 PCs: a server PC running MinimServer, a control PC running a control point and an audio PC running jPlay (connected to the control PC via crossover cable). If I have misunderstood this, please clarify.

If MinimServer works on one server PC when you completely disable the Windows firewall on this machine, this means it is a firewall issue (on this machine). I suggest we start by trying to get this machine working.

Your firewall rule to set Java as unrestricted might be pointing to the wrong Java executable. The Java executable in the firewall rule needs to be the same javaw.exe file that is being used to launch MinimServer. (A typical Windows installation of Java seems to include 3 different javaw.exe files and 3 different java.exe files.) You can use the Command Line column in Task Manager to find out which javaw.exe file is being used to run MinimServer. You then need to make sure that this javaw.exe file is unrestricted in the firewall for both UDP and TCP for both inbound and outbound connections.
(07-06-2015 22:13)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]As I understand it, your setup involves 3 PCs: a server PC running MinimServer, a control PC running a control point and an audio PC running jPlay (connected to the control PC via crossover cable). If I have misunderstood this, please clarify.

If MinimServer works on one server PC when you completely disable the Windows firewall on this machine, this means it is a firewall issue (on this machine). I suggest we start by trying to get this machine working.

Your firewall rule to set Java as unrestricted might be pointing to the wrong Java executable. The Java executable in the firewall rule needs to be the same javaw.exe file that is being used to launch MinimServer. (A typical Windows installation of Java seems to include 3 different javaw.exe files and 3 different java.exe files.) You can use the Command Line column in Task Manager to find out which javaw.exe file is being used to run MinimServer. You then need to make sure that this javaw.exe file is unrestricted in the firewall for both UDP and TCP for both inbound and outbound connections.

No sorry I don't think I am being clear. I'm running a 2 PC setup. One with Minimserver/Kazoo/JPlay Control. The other is JPlay Audio PC. I've simply tried a third PC because of this issue.

At this time the preferred PC is connected to my home network via wifi and to my Audio PC via ethernet cable. This is a completely fresh install of Windows 8.1 with nothing more installed than the necessary audio software. Windows firewall is completely disabled in the control panel. Yet I still cannot see Minimserver from any network control panel.

Kazoo can see Minimserver locally on that machine. Bubble can see JPlay and it finds other libraries on the network, but not the correct library. Is there something I'm missing such as file sharing or file permissions required to share Minimserver?

I am unclear on what could be the cause or what to try next. Thank you for the support.
(10-06-2015 00:54)bgladdy Wrote: [ -> ]No sorry I don't think I am being clear. I'm running a 2 PC setup. One with Minimserver/Kazoo/JPlay Control. The other is JPlay Audio PC. I've simply tried a third PC because of this issue.

At this time the preferred PC is connected to my home network via wifi and to my Audio PC via ethernet cable. This is a completely fresh install of Windows 8.1 with nothing more installed than the necessary audio software. Windows firewall is completely disabled in the control panel. Yet I still cannot see Minimserver from any network control panel.

Kazoo can see Minimserver locally on that machine. Bubble can see JPlay and it finds other libraries on the network, but not the correct library. Is there something I'm missing such as file sharing or file permissions required to share Minimserver?

I am unclear on what could be the cause or what to try next. Thank you for the support.

It sounds like the audio PC has the same subnet as the rest of your network. This is likely to cause the problem you are seeing because the ohNet stack used by MinimServer is only able to use one network adapter for each subnet. If ohNet has chosen to use the crossover network adapter, MinimServer won't be visible to the rest of your network.

How is the audio PC connected to the rest of your network? Is it connected only via the crossover cable to the other PC or does it have another adapter with a network connection?
The audio PC is not connected to the network. It's only connection is to the control PC through the crossover cable. It's wifi is off and wifi adapter is disabled in network properties.

They probably have the same subnet and you may be on to the problem. I assume we need to change the subnet of the control PC to audio PC connection and force Minimserver to select the other? I see an entry in Minimserver settings "Ohnet subnet" but I don't know how to do all this. I tried changing the subnet mask in the adapter properties of the two adapters that connect by crossover cable but then JPlay would not connect. Is that how to change the subnet of those adapters?

Clearly we're getting beyond my networking abilities.
(10-06-2015 15:42)bgladdy Wrote: [ -> ]The audio PC is not connected to the network. It's only connection is to the control PC through the crossover cable. It's wifi is off and wifi adapter is disabled in network properties.

They probably have the same subnet and you may be on to the problem. I assume we need to change the subnet of the control PC to audio PC connection and force Minimserver to select the other? I see an entry in Minimserver settings "Ohnet subnet" but I don't know how to do all this. I tried changing the subnet mask in the adapter properties of the two adapters that connect by crossover cable but then JPlay would not connect. Is that how to change the subnet of those adapters?

Clearly we're getting beyond my networking abilities.

You should leave the adapter configuration for the network connection in the control PC on its current default setting.

For both ends of the crossover connection between the control PC and the audio PC, you need to change the adapter properties to set a custom IP address and subnet mask.

You don't need to put anything in the MinimServer ohnet.subnet property.

For example, if your default network subnet is 192.168.0.*, you could manually configure the subnet for both ends of the crossover connection to be 192.168.1.* instead. You could set the IP address of the crossover adapter in the control PC to 192.168.1.10 and set the IP address of the crossover adapter in the audio PC to 192.168.1.11. For both these crossover adapters, you would set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0.

All these numbers are just examples and you will probably need to adapt them to the specifics of your own network configuration.

This should fix the problem with discovering MinimServer from other machines on your network. I don't know whether it will cause any problems with JPlay and JPlay Control.

As you have said that the audio PC isn't connected to the network, I'm not sure how BubbleUPnP is able to see JPlay. It is possible that this might stop working when you make the subnet change.

Please post back here if any part of these instructions isn't clear. If you can attach the output from running the command

ipconfig /all

on the control PC, this will be very helpful.
Is the connection from the control PC to the network wired or wireless? This makes a difference to how ohNet selects which adapter to use.
Reference URL's