MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Box Set Cover Art
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi

I have 2 versions of the same box set and was wondering how MinimServer decides upon what cover art to display for the box set?

On the server each box set has its own folder and below that there is one sub-folder for each album prefixed with the disc, e.g. "[disc 3] Somealbum"

In the box set folder there is also some cover art for the box set, called folder.jpg, at the same level as each sub-folder that I was hoping would be used for the box set. Unfortunately this is not how it appears to work and in each case I am getting the cover of one of the albums within the box set, but not the same one...

Once browsing the individual albums within the box set the cover art is correct, i.e. the correct cover art is displayed for each album.

Is there any way I can get this to work as I expected?

The client I am using is Bubble UPnP.

Thanks
(18-05-2015 14:15)pzyvbv Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

I have 2 versions of the same box set and was wondering how MinimServer decides upon what cover art to display for the box set?

On the server each box set has its own folder and below that there is one sub-folder for each album prefixed with the disc, e.g. "[disc 3] Somealbum"

In the box set folder there is also some cover art for the box set, called folder.jpg, at the same level as each sub-folder that I was hoping would be used for the box set. Unfortunately this is not how it appears to work and in each case I am getting the cover of one of the albums within the box set, but not the same one...

Once browsing the individual albums within the box set the cover art is correct, i.e. the correct cover art is displayed for each album.

Is there any way I can get this to work as I expected?

The client I am using is Bubble UPnP.

Thanks

MinimServer understands albums and discs, not box sets and albums. This distinction is important when applying the rules for album art.

The folder.jpg file is used only if no artwork is embedded within the track files for the album. Also, the folder.jpg file needs to appear within the same folder as a track from the album in order to be associated with the album.
Are you using the same basic album name tag for both sets? If you are, you should give them different names, and, as per the section of the User Guide referenced by marcaurel, each album should pick up its own cover art. Minimserver uses tags, rather than file system location, to define an 'album'.

If you are using different album name tags, I'd look at the embedded album art in the lowest numbered track (typically track 1) of each album, to make sure that there is no duplication.

David

P.S. My post crossed with Simon's, but I think we are saying essentially the same thing.
(18-05-2015 15:30)DavidHB Wrote: [ -> ]Are you using the same basic album name tag for both sets? If you are, you should give them different names, and, as per the section of the User Guide referenced by marcaurel, each album should pick up its own cover art. Minimserver uses tags, rather than file system location, to define an 'album'.

If you are using different album name tags, I'd look at the embedded album art in the lowest numbered track (typically track 1) of each album, to make sure that there is no duplication.

David

P.S. My post crossed with Simon's, but I think we are saying essentially the same thing.

It shouldn't be necessary to use different album names to prevent unwanted merging. You can tag the different albums with different AlbumArtist values or you can use a match filter (see this section).
(18-05-2015 15:27)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]MinimServer understands albums and discs, not box sets and albums. This distinction is important when applying the rules for album art.

The folder.jpg file is used only if no artwork is embedded within the track files for the album. Also, the folder.jpg file needs to appear within the same folder as a track from the album in order to be associated with the album.

Hi

So what I think is implied by your reply is that the "album art" displayed for the box set by the controller, which is at a level above all the albums, cannot be chosen since the album art for all the discs is available and equally valid at the box set level, in much the same way as all the $DISCSUBTITLE tags can be listed (the discs within the box set are merged according to the MinimServer rules)? I assume that the album art shown for the box set will be one of the album covers, but it is not possible to choose which one, or indeed set an entirely different one for the box set? The album art for each individual album is shown correctly and I do not have a problem with this. I was wondering which album art the server returns to the controller when sending the information - I assume it is only one as there is no displayFormat option equivalent for album art to build a list? The box set listing correctly displays all album titles for the box set in the $Album tag (from $DISCSUBTITLE) thanks to usage of Album.displayFormat:
Album.displayFormat={$Album^^^$DiscSubtitle^ - ^^, }

I understand the usage of folder.jpg (or cover.jpg) and never use embedded art in any of my tracks. The box set parent folder sits above all the disc sub-folders and the discs within the box set are merged by the server.

Thanks
C
The entities 'box set' and 'controller' do not exist in MinimServer, and certainly do not form part of any hierarchy. To amplify simoncn's advice above, here is what he said in a recent reply to me:

"... the full containment hierarchy supported by MinimServer is Album > Disc > Group > Track. The Disc level would usually correspond to a physical disc but it can be used for any purpose. The "discs" can be named (instead of numbered) by populating the DISCSUBTITLE tag."

As the position of any given track in the hierarchy is determined by the values of tags it contains, and not by its location in the file system, you can in theory allocate all of the tracks ripped from a boxed set to any of the levels above them. This means that you do not need to be bound by the album organisation of the physical CDs; CD albums (single- or multi-disc) can be split, merged and grouped according to your preference, and you can choose whether or not to treat the contents of individual CDs as separate discs.

Whatever organisation you choose, the rules for assigning album art set out in the User Guide will apply. So the first step to getting particular art displayed at the points at which you want it is to ensure (by tagging the relevant tracks/files appropriately) that the containment hierarchy matches this requirement.

David
(19-05-2015 10:31)pzyvbv Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

So what I think is implied by your reply is that the "album art" displayed for the box set by the controller, which is at a level above all the albums, cannot be chosen since the album art for all the discs is available and equally valid at the box set level, in much the same way as all the $DISCSUBTITLE tags can be listed (the discs within the box set are merged according to the MinimServer rules)? I assume that the album art shown for the box set will be one of the album covers, but it is not possible to choose which one, or indeed set an entirely different one for the box set? The album art for each individual album is shown correctly and I do not have a problem with this. I was wondering which album art the server returns to the controller when sending the information - I assume it is only one as there is no displayFormat option equivalent for album art to build a list? The box set listing correctly displays all album titles for the box set in the $Album tag (from $DISCSUBTITLE) thanks to usage of Album.displayFormat:
Album.displayFormat={$Album^^^$DiscSubtitle^ - ^^, }

I understand the usage of folder.jpg (or cover.jpg) and never use embedded art in any of my tracks. The box set parent folder sits above all the disc sub-folders and the discs within the box set are merged by the server.

Thanks
C

Given the folder and artwork organization you have described, the album art shown for the album will be the folder.jpg file in the first disc subfolder that is scanned by MinimServer. Which subfolder this is depends on the file system of the platform you are using to run MinimServer.
(19-05-2015 14:43)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]... the album art shown for the album will be the folder.jpg file in the first disc subfolder that is scanned by MinimServer. Which subfolder this is depends on the file system of the platform you are using to run MinimServer.

This is interesting. Am I correct in concluding that, if the same instance of a containment hierarchy is used on different platforms, the only means of ensuring that the relationship between the hierarchy and the associated artwork remains consistent is to embed the artwork in the music files?

David
(19-05-2015 17:15)DavidHB Wrote: [ -> ]This is interesting. Am I correct in concluding that, if the same instance of a containment hierarchy is used on different platforms, the only means of ensuring that the relationship between the hierarchy and the associated artwork remains consistent is to embed the artwork in the music files?

David

This would only be the case if
1) folder view is not being used,
2) the tracks of the album are split between different folders,
3) only the folder.jpg approach is used to associate artwork with the album's tracks (i.e., no embedded artwork at all), and
4) the folder.jpg images are different for different tracks
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's