MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Greyed out options and initial launch does not prompt media folder location
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I'm a first time poster. I'm having a little bit of difficulty in setting up MinimServer and MinimWatch. Perhaps they are snafus. I'm running Debian Jessie x64 with the Mate desktop environment with the latest updates. The media is on the same machine in a mounted drive (i.e. media is not in my home or music directory). I'm a little bit new to the linux side, so please bear with me. I hope I have enough info here. My eventual goal is to set this up on a headless server but I wanted to see if I could configure it the way I wanted.

Problem 1. I'm not seeing some things the installation directions are describing. The autolaunch of the media folder options is not displayed when the minimserver is first run.

Problem 2. I have my mate-panel on the bottom of the screen (because I come from the windows world). When the systray icons are there, I don't see the various options when I right mouse click them. For me to see the options, I have to move the panel to the top of the screen so I can see them.

Here's a step by step of what I did in case it matters and/or if it helps replicating the issue.

I put the minimserver and minimwatch tar files into one directory and put a terminal window into the same directory.

Step 1) Verify java. I typed java -version and got:

Code:
java version "1.7.0_79"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.5) (7u79-2.5.5-1~deb8u1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.79-b02, mixed mode)

Step 2) I extracted the minimserver tar and a folder created in the same directory (good). I typed minimserver/bin/setup. I selected desktop integration and an icon appeared on my screen. I did not select autostart.

Step 3) I double clicked the minimserver icon on my desktop. A yellow icon showed The systray area (sorry I'm not sure what linux calls that space). A few seconds later the systray icon turned red. I did not get prompted for a media folder. So this is my first problem.

Step 4) This isn't in the directions but I stumbled on this one with all my troubleshooting. I fired up a browser and went to http://localhost:9790/. From here I was able to configure the media folders and make the systray icon turn green and I was able to see the files on my upnp controller. (Good)

Step 5) When I right mouse clicking the green systray icon (minimwatch not installed yet) the only option I get is "rescan". I had my panel or taskbar (or whatever Linux calls it) on the bottom of the screen. I experimented a bit and moved the panel/taskbar to the top of the screen instead. With the taskbar on the top, I was able to see all the options when right mouse clicking the systray icon.

Step 6) I installed the minimwatch per the instructions. I selected desktop integration but no autostart. An minimwatch icon appeared on my desktop. (Good).

Step 7) I launched the new minimwatch desktop icon and a new icon appeared in the systray. The icon is greyed out. The only options I have are options, refresh and exit. Ironically, I see the minimserver listed when I go to the options/showlog selection. I cannot configure the locally installed minimserver using the locally installed minimwatch. I've searched through the forums and found people had the same issue with firewalls on windows machines. I'm not sure if a firewall is on my current machine.

Like I said [typed] earlier, my goal is to remotely administer the headless server using this program because the options are supposed to be this way. I really do not want to install a DE on a machine that is supposed to be headless.

Thanks
(03-05-2015 14:24)tommyp Wrote: [ -> ]Like I said [typed] earlier, my goal is to remotely administer the headless server using this program because the options are supposed to be this way. I really do not want to install a DE on a machine that is supposed to be headless.

Thanks

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

You should install MinimWatch on a different computer on your local network. It sounds like you have installed MinimWatch on the same machine as MinimServer.

The issue with menu options not being visible if the minim icon is at the bottom of the screen is probably caused by an incompatibility between Java and Mate.
Thanks for the welcome wishes. Smile Yes, at the moment the minimwatch was installed on the same machine as minimserver. Once I figure out the sorting needed, I hope using minimserver on a remote machine. Too bad there is that mate desktop incompatibility....
Thanks for the quick response.
Tom
I have the same problem. I can not use the Properties option of Minimwatch. Java is up to date. I get this logfile:
MinimWatch 0.8.3 update 32, Copyright © 2012-2015 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_45-b15)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.45-b02, mixed mode)
Platform default charset is windows-1252
Active subnet is 192.168.178.0
Startup complete

The Minimwatch icon is grey.
I have solved my problem: On the NAS I had to activate Minimserver.
After that everything works fine.
Similar problems for my install...MinimServer installed on QNAP NAS, MinimWatch installed on separate PC but greyed out but the server can be seen. Naim App recognizes MinimServer and can play tunes from US ripped files but are listed WAV and individual songs only. Latest Java installed. Given the control options listed in the home page I can't get to any of it????

M
Strangely MinimWatch began to work but files a mess. None that were ripped from UnitiServe are grouped as an album. Help appreciated regarding a solution.
(11-05-2015 11:01)mackb3 Wrote: [ -> ]Strangely MinimWatch began to work but files a mess. None that were ripped from UnitiServe are grouped as an album. Help appreciated regarding a solution.

You will need a tagging program to look at, and possibly change, the tags. MinimServer identifies Albums from their tags, not from their position in the file system. For the rules MinimServer uses to do this, please see the Albums and folders section of this page of the User Guide.

Unfortunately, I am not a regular Linux user and cannot recommend a tagging program. Try to find one that can handle multiple files/tracks simultaneously, so that you can, for example, correct tags for a whole album in one go. The documentation for the excellent Windows Tag editor MP3Tag states that it can be run under Wine.

David
Puddletag works in Linux, so should enable you to verify/change tags.
(11-05-2015 11:01)mackb3 Wrote: [ -> ]Strangely MinimWatch began to work but files a mess. None that were ripped from UnitiServe are grouped as an album. Help appreciated regarding a solution.

I believe the Naim UnitiServe uses a proprietary nonstandard approach for storing tags for ripped WAV files. MinimServer is not able to read these tags.

MinimServer is able to read ID3v2 tag data stored as part of the WAV file. I don't know if there is a tagging program that can automatically convert your Naim proprietary tags to this industry standard format.
Reference URL's