MinimServer Forum

Full Version: repeating music and freeze in Jplay hibernation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In a thread in the JPlay forum this is discussed. Bobsherman suggested:

It seems what happens is the server cannot respond quick enough and becomes disconnected. If that happens I'm guessing whatever is left in the buffer keeps playing over and over. If you watch your hard drive light on a server system or watch task manager you will see a small amount of activity coming towards the end of a song that must be the server trying to load the next track. If you cannot have the track ready in time I guess everything crashes, J play cannot play the next track and just keep repeating what is the buffer. You can duplicate this by shutting down the server in the middle of a song and you will see that whatever is left in the buffer will keep playing.

Many think Minimserver responds the fastest of available servers but might it be made faster still? Since, at least in my case, this happens only in hibernation might there be a change in Minimserver to work better in hibernation? Josef and others seem pretty sure this is not a JPlay problem but a pc or minimserver one.
(21-04-2015 21:19)riboge Wrote: [ -> ]In a thread in the JPlay forum this is discussed. Bobsherman suggested:

It seems what happens is the server cannot respond quick enough and becomes disconnected. If that happens I'm guessing whatever is left in the buffer keeps playing over and over. If you watch your hard drive light on a server system or watch task manager you will see a small amount of activity coming towards the end of a song that must be the server trying to load the next track. If you cannot have the track ready in time I guess everything crashes, J play cannot play the next track and just keep repeating what is the buffer. You can duplicate this by shutting down the server in the middle of a song and you will see that whatever is left in the buffer will keep playing.

Many think Minimserver responds the fastest of available servers but might it be made faster still? Since, at least in my case, this happens only in hibernation might there be a change in Minimserver to work better in hibernation? Josef and others seem pretty sure this is not a JPlay problem but a pc or minimserver one.

To make MinimServer respond faster, you would need to use a faster computer or a faster disk drive (e.g., an SSD).

Is there some reason why JPlay needs the server to respond in a very short time? If so, it should issue the request earlier, before the previous track has finished playing.
(21-04-2015 21:37)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-04-2015 21:19)riboge Wrote: [ -> ]In a thread in the JPlay forum this is discussed. Bobsherman suggested:

To make MinimServer respond faster, you would need to use a faster computer or a faster disk drive (e.g., an SSD).

Is there some reason why JPlay needs the server to respond in a very short time? If so, it should issue the request earlier, before the previous track has finished playing.
Perhaps you could confer with Josef about this. I have the same question, but surely it has to do with the special circumstances of hibernate.
(21-04-2015 23:35)riboge Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps you could confer with Josef about this. I have the same question, but surely it has to do with the special circumstances of hibernate.

There is nothing that I can do in MinimServer to make it respond more quickly. Any change would need to be at the JPlay end.
Reference URL's