MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Strange sound on Windows 7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
this is my first posting in this forum, please accept my far from perfect English...
I run Minimserver successfully on Linux (Ubuntu 14.10) and on the new preview of Windows 10. Perfect in operation and quality of sound.
There is however a strange phenomenon in Windows 7. The audio sounds as if it is cut into tiny pieces, like a staccato. I know it is hard to explain, graphically e.g. like IIII--IIII--IIII--IIII-- (III the signal, --- some milliseconds of silence) or as if the audio was superimposed by a "grrrrrrrrrrrrr..."
This cannot be caused by the sound card because the same "staccato" is heard on my smartphone when I use any UpnP player app like Mediahouse or ArkMC. It must be the combination of MinimServer 0.8.3a x64 and Windows 7.
Is there any "switch" in the server's property sheet which could eliminate this strange phenomenon?
Grateful for any advice,
Hubert
(07-04-2015 16:59)Hubert Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,
this is my first posting in this forum, please accept my far from perfect English...
I run Minimserver successfully on Linux (Ubuntu 14.10) and on the new preview of Windows 10. Perfect in operation and quality of sound.
There is however a strange phenomenon in Windows 7. The audio sounds as if it is cut into tiny pieces, like a staccato. I know it is hard to explain, graphically e.g. like IIII--IIII--IIII--IIII-- (III the signal, --- some milliseconds of silence) or as if the audio was superimposed by a "grrrrrrrrrrrrr..."
This cannot be caused by the sound card because the same "staccato" is heard on my smartphone when I use any UpnP player app like Mediahouse or ArkMC. It must be the combination of MinimServer 0.8.3a x64 and Windows 7.
Is there any "switch" in the server's property sheet which could eliminate this strange phenomenon?
Grateful for any advice,
Hubert

Welcome to the MinimServer forum. Your English is excellent!

It sounds like there might be a hardware fault with the Windows 7 PC. I am running MinimServer on a Windows 7 x64 PC and I don't get this problem. Also, no other users have reported a problem like this.

This problem might be caused by the network connection being unable to handle audio streaming. You could try using a lower-resolution file (such as 64 kbps or 128 kbps MP3) to see if this improves things. If this helps, it would point to the network connection as the likely cause of the problem.
Thank you for the quick reply! Yes, it turned out to be a hardware fault, or rather a problem with the driver of my soundcard. The audio was perfect on Windows 10 because this operating system uses the Windows 8.1 driver, which seems to be more up to date than my Windows 7 driver. I finally succeeded however to get MinimServer working on Win7 by diving into the depths of the drivers options sheet, changing the state of two checkboxes...
Writing this I enjoy the program of BBC Radio 3, coming to me via this excellent MinimServer!
Reference URL's