MinimServer Forum

Full Version: collection always scanned if "writeAllTags" value exists
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I recently wondered why my collection is always rescanned at restart although "startupScan" is set to "false".
By trying I found out that if the parameter "writeAllTags" is set "startupScan" is ignored and the collection is always scanned.

Is that on purpose?
I think "writeAllTags" would also make sense if done manually and without a forced rescan at restart.
(27-03-2015 21:22)marcaurel Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I recently wondered why my collection is always rescanned at restart although "startupScan" is set to "false".
By trying I found out that if the parameter "writeAllTags" is set "startupScan" is ignored and the collection is always scanned.

Is that on purpose?
I think "writeAllTags" would also make sense if done manually and without a forced rescan at restart.

This is deliberate. In order to write all tags found within your files, it is necessary to rescan all your files. This is because the MinimServer cache doesn't contain tags from your files that aren't being used by MinimServer.

The writeAlltags operation would normally be performed infrequently. Do you need to do it frequently for some reason?
(27-03-2015 21:43)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-03-2015 21:22)marcaurel Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Is that on purpose?

This is deliberate. In order to write all tags found within your files, it is necessary to rescan all your files. This is because the MinimServer cache doesn't contain tags from your files that aren't being used by MinimServer.

The writeAlltags operation would normally be performed infrequently. Do you need to do it frequently for some reason?

No, certainly not.
The value was just a leftover from working through the manual.
But nevertheless it should respect the "startupScan=false" setting.
(27-03-2015 22:14)marcaurel Wrote: [ -> ]No, certainly not.

To do this, MinimServer would need to produce an error if writeAllTags is specified together with startupScan=false or startupScan=true. This is because writeAllTags requires a full scan in order to produce a full list of tags.

I think the best solution is for me to amend the descriptions of writeAllTags and startupScan to clarify that writeAllTags forces a full rescan.

Thanks very much for pointing out that the documentation is unclear about this.
(27-03-2015 22:27)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-03-2015 22:14)marcaurel Wrote: [ -> ]No, certainly not.

To do this, MinimServer would need to produce an error if writeAllTags is specified together with startupScan=false or startupScan=true. This is because writeAllTags requires a full scan in order to produce a full list of tags.

I think the best solution is for me to amend the descriptions of writeAllTags and startupScan to clarify that writeAllTags forces a full rescan.

Thanks very much for pointing out that the documentation is unclear about this.

I understand that writeAllTags needs a full scan. But does this have to be at startup? This could also take place during the next manual rescan.

One more question:
Is it possible to create a folder with randomly chosen albums?

With BubbleUPnP I can retrieve randomly selected tracks. Which would suffice if it would be easy to get to the album from the tracks. But to get to a track's album you have to play the track and select "Show album" from the context menu on the NowPlaying screen. Only then the full album (of one of the randomly chosen tracks) can be played by click.

So maybe this question would rather be suited for the BubbleUPnP author... I don't know if it's feasible to show randomly selected album presented as a MinimServer folder. Just like the tag folders. Only with random albums.
(27-03-2015 22:58)marcaurel Wrote: [ -> ]I understand that writeAllTags needs a full scan. But does this have to be at startup? This could also take place during the next manual rescan.

I think it would be reasonable to produce the tag list and do a full rescan only when some type of rescan is happening:

1) at startup if startupScan is set to 'true' or 'full'
2) whenever a manual Rescan operation is performed

Quote:One more question:

With BubbleUPnP I can retrieve randomly selected tracks. Which would suffice if it would be easy to get to the album from the tracks. But to get to a track's album you have to play the track and select "Show album" from the context menu on the NowPlaying screen. Only then the full album (of one of the randomly chosen tracks) can be played by click.

So maybe this question would rather be suited for the BubbleUPnP author... I don't know if it's feasible to show randomly selected album presented as a MinimServer folder. Just like the tag folders. Only with random albums.

MinimServer doesn't provide a random selection of anything. You could ask the BubbleUPnP author whether he would like to add this feature.
(27-03-2015 23:08)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-03-2015 22:58)marcaurel Wrote: [ -> ]I understand that writeAllTags needs a full scan. But does this have to be at startup? This could also take place during the next manual rescan.

I think it would be reasonable to produce the tag list and do a full rescan only when some type of rescan is happening:

-> 3) and never when startupScan is set to 'false'

Perfect, that's exactly what I meant Smile

Quote:One more question:

MinimServer doesn't provide a random selection of anything. You could ask the BubbleUPnP author whether he would like to add this feature.

OK, I will contact the BubbleUPnP author for a "random album feature".

Thank you very much for the immediate answers Idea
Marc
(27-03-2015 23:08)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]I think it would be reasonable to produce the tag list and do a full rescan only when some type of rescan is happening:

This change is now available in MinimServer update 67.
(01-10-2015 22:35)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-03-2015 23:08)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]I think it would be reasonable to produce the tag list and do a full rescan only when some type of rescan is happening:

This change is now available in MinimServer update 67.
Have a general question regarding output format of the write all tags option...Got it to work, but I tried a .txt file and a .csv extension but did not work the way I expected. (all data in one column) I wanted to create a pivot table in excel so I could see a nice clean summary of my data. Is this possible and if so, can you please provide example? I generated files called my data.txt and my data.csv under write all tags option. Thanks, Mike
The output format can't be changed. My Excel skills are very basic, so I will leave it to someone with more Excel knowledge to advise how to import name=value lines into a pivot table.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's