MinimServer Forum

Full Version: WD LIVE DUO for MAC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is Minimserver capable to run on a WD My Book Live Duo for Mac ? If so , how do I install it ?
(14-03-2015 04:31)cop1s Wrote: [ -> ]Is Minimserver capable to run on a WD My Book Live Duo for Mac ? If so , how do I install it ?

I believe this has a PowerPC processor. If so, it should be possible to install the Linux PowerPC version of MinimServer by following the instructions on this page. You would need a reasonable knowledge of Linux and you would need to access the Linux command prompt on the My Book Live via SSH or Telnet.

There are instructions for accessing a My Book Live via SSH on this page and there are instructions for disabling the standard DLNA server and installng an alternative server (minidlna) on this page.

You will need to install Java as well as MinimServer. You can download a suitable version of Java from this page. The download you need is "Power Architecture Linux - Headless - e600 CPU variant with a Classic Floating Point Unit".

If you are successful in doing this, it would be great if you could post back here with some information on how you did it.
(14-03-2015 08:45)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-03-2015 04:31)cop1s Wrote: [ -> ]Is Minimserver capable to run on a WD My Book Live Duo for Mac ? If so , how do I install it ?

I believe this has a PowerPC processor. If so, it should be possible to install the Linux PowerPC version of MinimServer by following the instructions on this page. You would need a reasonable knowledge of Linux and you would need to access the Linux command prompt on the My Book Live via SSH or Telnet.

There are instructions for accessing a My Book Live via SSH on this page and there are instructions for disabling the standard DLNA server and installng an alternative server (minidlna) on this page.

You will need to install Java as well as MinimServer. You can download a suitable version of Java from this page. The download you need is "Power Architecture Linux - Headless - e600 CPU variant with a Classic Floating Point Unit".

If you are successful in doing this, it would be great if you could post back here with some information on how you did it.

Simon ,
I don' t have any knowledge of Linux and it seems to be too complicated for a newbie like me ...
(14-03-2015 17:15)cop1s Wrote: [ -> ]Simon ,
I don' t have any knowledge of Linux and it seems to be too complicated for a newbie like me ...

I understand. In this case, you would need to buy another NAS to be able to run MinimServer. Any model from QNAP or Synology would be suitable.
Reference URL's