MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Installing java7 on ReadyNas ultra (x86)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I just tried installing 0.8.3 on my NetGear Ultra but saw that I needed to upgrade from java6 to 7 in order for it to work.

I've followed the instructions on the "how to install java 7" guide, downloaded Linux Small Footprint SE Embedded, placed it in /backup (checked the file extension). Dowloaded the "upgrader" from minimserver website, installed it through frontview (no errors) but... nothing happens. No upgrade happens, I keep having java6 installed. I see no disk activity on installing the upgrader nor any new processes sprouting in the NAS as I'd expect to happen.

Any ideas what I might be missing here?

Cheers,
(18-02-2015 20:52)Skywatcher Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there,

I just tried installing 0.8.3 on my NetGear Ultra but saw that I needed to upgrade from java6 to 7 in order for it to work.

I've followed the instructions on the "how to install java 7" guide, downloaded Linux Small Footprint SE Embedded, placed it in /backup (checked the file extension). Dowloaded the "upgrader" from minimserver website, installed it through frontview (no errors) but... nothing happens. No upgrade happens, I keep having java6 installed. I see no disk activity on installing the upgrader nor any new processes sprouting in the NAS as I'd expect to happen.

Cheers,

Apologies for the delay in replying. There is a lot of activity regarding radio streaming at the moment and I haven't been able to investigate this issue yet. I should be able to look into it over the weekend.
(18-02-2015 20:52)Skywatcher Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there,

Cheers,

By the "upgrader", do you mean the EJRE Installer package?

Which version of the Java .tar.gz file did you download? Please give the exact filename.

Do you see any messages in the system log after installing the EJRE Installer package?

How did you install Java 6? Was this also installed via the EJRE installer package or did you install it in some other way?

If you are able to login to the NAS using SSH, please check the contents of the file /tmp/ejre-install.log after running the Frontview install of the EJRE Installer package.
Hi Simon,

No worries about the delay, I really appreciate your help.
I've just arrived from the weekend away anyway, so only came to the forum now.
Had a nice weekend in Bristol Wink

Nice to see all the streaming in almost every room and MinimServer being talked about as the preferred UPnP server whenever someone asked "So, what are you using to serve the files?". Well deserved Simon, congrats.

(22-02-2015 16:33)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]If you are able to login to the NAS using SSH, please check the contents of the file /tmp/ejre-install.log after running the Frontview install of the EJRE Installer package.

HA! Thanks for the log location! That gave me the pointer I needed. I have 2 volumes in the NAS where I have MinimServer running. And since volume /d has more space I moved /backup to /d a long time ago. I saw in the log that the EJRE updater was looking for files in /c/backup and not /backup as I expected. One simlink later, and all is good. Java upgrade was successful and MinimServer 0.8.3 is properly running. Cool
(22-02-2015 21:41)Skywatcher Wrote: [ -> ]Nice to see all the streaming in almost every room and MinimServer being talked about as the preferred UPnP server whenever someone asked "So, what are you using to serve the files?". Well deserved Simon, congrats.

Thanks, that's good to know. Somehow I managed to miss those demos and instead stepped into a couple of rooms where they were using JRiver.
Reference URL's