MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Multiple genre-tag / ID3-Version
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I'm in the process of setting up MinimServer as an optional musicserver and I am encountering a problem:

My wife and I are using the same media library and to make it easier for her to find "her" music, I thought about using multiple genre tags to help her browsing the library. For example, a MP3 that is tagged as "Mexico", "Acoustic", "Live" should appear under all three genres.

The problem is: it doesn't. The MP3 is tagged correctly via MP3tag; the detailed tag-view shows three separate genre-tags. Unfortunately, MinimServer only uses the first genre. I tried a different program for tagging (foobar 2000), but have the same result. In an old thread in this forum I read about a workaround: simply re-tag not using ID3 V2.3 but V2.4. This did the trick for MinimServer and the song appears in all three genres, BUT: Many other programs that I use for playing music don't (fully) support ID2 V2.4 (WinAmp can't read the lyrics or the albumart, Windows7 can't read the tag), so I would rather leave all the tags in ID3V2.3. I tried messing with the multiTag-function but that didn't change anything.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there another solution to my problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards
Lakorus
(24-01-2015 15:21)Lakorus Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

I'm in the process of setting up MinimServer as an optional musicserver and I am encountering a problem:

My wife and I are using the same media library and to make it easier for her to find "her" music, I thought about using multiple genre tags to help her browsing the library. For example, a MP3 that is tagged as "Mexico", "Acoustic", "Live" should appear under all three genres.

The problem is: it doesn't. The MP3 is tagged correctly via MP3tag; the detailed tag-view shows three separate genre-tags. Unfortunately, MinimServer only uses the first genre. I tried a different program for tagging (foobar 2000), but have the same result. In an old thread in this forum I read about a workaround: simply re-tag not using ID3 V2.3 but V2.4. This did the trick for MinimServer and the song appears in all three genres, BUT: Many other programs that I use for playing music don't (fully) support ID2 V2.4 (WinAmp can't read the lyrics or the albumart, Windows7 can't read the tag), so I would rather leave all the tags in ID3V2.3. I tried messing with the multiTag-function but that didn't change anything.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there another solution to my problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards
Lakorus

This problem is caused by Mp3tag (and apparently some other tagging programs) not implementing the ID3v2.3 specification correctly. These programs are using the NUL (0x00) character to separate multiple values, which is valid for ID3v2.4 but is explicitly disallowed for ID3v2.3.

The multiTag option does something different and isn't relevant to this issue (as you have discovered).

The correct solution is to use ID3v2.4. If you can't do this for the reasons you stated, I don't have any other good solutions.

A bad solution would be to "hijack" a different tag and use it for this purpose. You can use the MinimServer aliasTags property to convert the "hijacked" tag values into Genre tag values.

The following tags are suitable candidates for "hijacking": ORIGINALARTIST (the TOPE frame) and LYRICIST (the TEXT frame).
Hello Simon,

thank for your reply. I will search for a tagging-program that applies the specifications correctly. If I am not successful, I will look into the other options.

Best regards
Lakorus
Okay, I found that MusicBrainz Picard is setting the ID3V2.3 tag properly, so that MinimServer shows the multiple genres and my project can continue. As a preset, Picard only has "genre" and I had to manually add tags with slight variations ("Genre", "GENRE") in order to make it work. Those tags are recognised as multiple tags by MP3tag.

My next problem is that I haven't found an easy way to retag the files by batch yet - the scripting tool is beyond my comprehension at the moment. Ah well, step by step...

Thanks again.
Lakorus
... found another one ... "The GodFather"

btw: my intention is not to spam, but maybe other users have the same problem and now they don't need to go searching :-)

Best regards
Lakorus
(25-01-2015 16:03)Lakorus Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, I found that MusicBrainz Picard is setting the ID3V2.3 tag properly, so that MinimServer shows the multiple genres and my project can continue. As a preset, Picard only has "genre" and I had to manually add tags with slight variations ("Genre", "GENRE") in order to make it work. Those tags are recognised as multiple tags by MP3tag.

My next problem is that I haven't found an easy way to retag the files by batch yet - the scripting tool is beyond my comprehension at the moment. Ah well, step by step...

Thanks again.
Lakorus
Quote:... found another one ... "The GodFather"

Thanks, this information is very helpful. I am pleased to hear there are some tagging programs that implement the spec correctly.
Reference URL's