MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Updates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi - I have that feeling that I am being dumb but nevertheless I have spent some time this morning reading release notes instructions and the forum and I can't work it out - so here goes.

I have 0.8.2 (42) installed on QNAP (arm) NAS and I have minimwatch running too windows (86) latest version.

is there a reason why 0.8.3 isn't being prompted for updates?

If it's relevant - it has only just updated to the latest 0.8.2 package as I was on an older version of minimwatch until this morning (oops) with less features.
I have restarted the NAS just to see if that nudged anything but - nope.

Scratches head virtually . . . . .
(21-01-2015 14:18)Martin H Wrote: [ -> ]Hi - I have that feeling that I am being dumb but nevertheless I have spent some time this morning reading release notes instructions and the forum and I can't work it out - so here goes.

I have 0.8.2 (42) installed on QNAP (arm) NAS and I have minimwatch running too windows (86) latest version.

is there a reason why 0.8.3 isn't being prompted for updates?

If it's relevant - it has only just updated to the latest 0.8.2 package as I was on an older version of minimwatch until this morning (oops) with less features.
I have restarted the NAS just to see if that nudged anything but - nope.

Scratches head virtually . . . . .

Sorry - realised now that the other thread is actually the same problem although I am on QNAP instead of ReadyNAS. So the Frontview advice won't work.

Am I missing something obvious still?
(21-01-2015 14:22)Martin H Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry - realised now that the other thread is actually the same problem although I am on QNAP instead of ReadyNAS. So the Frontview advice won't work.

Am I missing something obvious still?

See this section for instructions for installing MinimServer 0.8.3 on your QNAP NAS.
Thanks folks - everything is updated on the NAS now and working fine thank you.

I only mention these things for the benefit of anyone else but probably just me that is being dumb.

- I don't know how many times I have gone up and down the 8.3 minimserver release notes but I still can't see where it tells me to install it manually. There was a post I read earlier saying it was in there but . . . . it may be that I am just missing it and apologies if I am. with the new update feature will it do say 8.4 automatically or is it only the 8.3.x releases it handles?

- had followed the update instructions on that page. Got a little confused because it said if installed before June do this. According to my status page I had actually installed in June and so at first assumed I had to follow the other instruction but I actually needed to do the former to progress. I don't know if again I was missing, misunderstanding or misinterpreting anything but it was no big deal.

Apologies for the posts but I know this type of stuff has always helped me before.
(21-01-2015 16:22)Martin H Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks folks - everything is updated on the NAS now and working fine thank you.

I only mention these things for the benefit of anyone else but probably just me that is being dumb.

- I don't know how many times I have gone up and down the 8.3 minimserver release notes but I still can't see where it tells me to install it manually. There was a post I read earlier saying it was in there but . . . . it may be that I am just missing it and apologies if I am. with the new update feature will it do say 8.4 automatically or is it only the 8.3.x releases it handles?

- had followed the update instructions on that page. Got a little confused because it said if installed before June do this. According to my status page I had actually installed in June and so at first assumed I had to follow the other instruction but I actually needed to do the former to progress. I don't know if again I was missing, misunderstanding or misinterpreting anything but it was no big deal.

Apologies for the posts but I know this type of stuff has always helped me before.

If you select About from the minim icon, you will see a version ID such as

MinimServer r.r.r update uu

For changes to r.r.r (the release level), a reinstall is always needed. To make changes to uu (the update level), you can use either autoUpdate or MinimWatch.

When you check for updates, you will be told about later versions of uu. You won't be told about later versions of r.r.r. To find out about later versions of r.r.r, you can view the Downloads page or look for announcements in the General section of the forum.

This information is not specific to 0.8.3, so it doesn't appear in the release notes for 0.8.3.

I will think about how I can make this clearer for future releases.
(21-01-2015 16:40)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-01-2015 16:22)Martin H Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks folks - everything is updated on the NAS now and working fine thank you.

If you select About from the minim icon, you will see a version ID such as

MinimServer r.r.r update uu

For changes to r.r.r (the release level), a reinstall is always needed. To make changes to uu (the update level), you can use either autoUpdate or MinimWatch.

When you check for updates, you will be told about later versions of uu. You won't be told about later versions of r.r.r. To find out about later versions of r.r.r, you can view the Downloads page or look for announcements in the General section of the forum.

This information is not specific to 0.8.3, so it doesn't appear in the release notes for 0.8.3.

I will think about how I can make this clearer for future releases.

Simon,

Many thanks. Part of the issue for me I think was that I had assumed that updates and releases were interchangeable terms but they are being used carefully to differentiate in the minimserver world. I have it now Smile

I couldn't possibly complain about your instructions - they are far superior than most I have to use!
(21-01-2015 17:02)Martin H Wrote: [ -> ]Many thanks. Part of the issue for me I think was that I had assumed that updates and releases were interchangeable terms but they are being used carefully to differentiate in the minimserver world. I have it now Smile

This confusion is understandable given that NAS vendors such as QNAP and Synology would refer to 0.8.3 as being an "update" for 0.8.2. Given this, I will need to be more explicit in explaining how MinimServer uses these terms.
Reference URL's