MinimServer Forum

Full Version: MiminWatch doesn't see MimimServer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Simon et all,

I'm currently evaluating if I should replace my miniDLNA instance running on a Synology NAS (409slim) replace by a MiminServer. The Java packages I discovered the other week, provided by patters (from Serviio Blush) finally enabled me to install MinimServer. Whilst Serviio rendered my DS (128MB, Marvell 88F6281 - 1,2 GHz) quite unusable, MinimServer is doing fine. Even the harddiscs spin down which they didn't whilst miniDLNA was running. Combined with the auto resart package, new recordings are picked up as well automatically. More or less the same way as I was used to whilst running miniDLNA. So far I'm very pleased! I do have a few thoughts but will address these in a different post.

After reading the elaborate install guide etc, I still have a problem understanding in how to enable the debug logging of MinimWatch. What exactly do I have to put into data/minimwatch.config?
Why I want to do that?

Whilst BubbleUPNP on various devices, as well as a Hama DIR 3100 can see MinimServer and render music provided by it, MInimWatch can't find the server's instance at the same time.

I can access the MinimServer's serice url (http://<disc-station-ip>:9790/ ) from the Laptop MinimWatch is running on (no matter if connected directly via LAN or WLAN).

MinimWatch is running fine and the icon (grey coloured) is showing up in the KDE's task bar.

So any hints on how to resolve this issue are welcome. Thanks in adavance!

Code:
~> uname -a
Linux laptop@homelan 3.15.8-2.g258e3b0-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Aug 5 04:15:41 UTC 2014 (258e3b0) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
~>
~/Programs/minimwatch/data> cat minimwatch.log
MinimWatch 0.8.3 update 30, Copyright (c) 2012-2014 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_17-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode)
Platform default charset is UTF-8
Active subnet is 192.168.1.0
No subnet is active
ending MinimWatch
~/Programs/minimwatch/data> ..
~/Programs/minimwatch> ./bin/startc
MinimWatch 0.8.3 update 30, Copyright (c) 2012-2014 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Enter command (? for help), or null to exit:
>refresh
>
(17-01-2015 12:48)DLNABubble Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simon et all,

I'm currently evaluating if I should replace my miniDLNA instance running on a Synology NAS (409slim) replace by a MiminServer. The Java packages I discovered the other week, provided by patters (from Serviio Blush) finally enabled me to install MinimServer. Whilst Serviio rendered my DS (128MB, Marvell 88F6281 - 1,2 GHz) quite unusable, MinimServer is doing fine. Even the harddiscs spin down which they didn't whilst miniDLNA was running. Combined with the auto resart package, new recordings are picked up as well automatically. More or less the same way as I was used to whilst running miniDLNA. So far I'm very pleased! I do have a few thoughts but will address these in a different post.

I'm pleased to hear about these positive points for MinimServer.

Quote:After reading the elaborate install guide etc, I still have a problem understanding in how to enable the debug logging of MinimWatch. What exactly do I have to put into data/minimwatch.config?

Directly editing minimserver.config is not supported or recommended. This is why it isn't mentioned in the install guide or user guide. Also, this wouldn't help because you have confirmed that MinimServer is running correctly and can be seen by UPnP control points.

Quote:Why I want to do that?

Whilst BubbleUPNP on various devices, as well as a Hama DIR 3100 can see MinimServer and render music provided by it, MInimWatch can't find the server's instance at the same time.

I can access the MinimServer's serice url (http://<disc-station-ip>:9790/ ) from the Laptop MinimWatch is running on (no matter if connected directly via LAN or WLAN).

MinimWatch is running fine and the icon (grey coloured) is showing up in the KDE's task bar.

So any hints on how to resolve this issue are welcome. Thanks in adavance!

It sounds like the laptop you are using to run MinimWatch is unable to receive incoming multicast messages from MinimServer. To confiirm/investigate this, I suggest the following as initial steps:

1) Run a UPnP control point such as upplay (see this page) on the same laptop and see whether it discovers MinimServer. If not, this confirms there is a multicast problem.

2) In MinimWatch, change the ohnet.debug property to All-Timer and change the logging level to Debug, then select Refresh from the grey minim icon. After waiting 20 seconds, stop and restart MinimServer. After waiting 60 seconds, copy the minimwatch.log file from the minimwatch/data directory before it gets overwritten. Zip the minimwatch.log file and attach it to a post here and I will take a look at it.
First fings first: MinimWatch is running on my Laptop successfully now! You have pointed me to the right direction. Thankyou!
For further reference:
All I had to to was to open up a port range in the firewall.

The laptop is running Linux (openSUSE in version 12.3 atm).
For both protocolls UDP and TCP I did open the port range 34000 to 55000 for incoming connection from the server's IP MinimServer is running on.
Connecting the laptop to other networks from time to time I quite like to have the firewall up and running and punch very small holes in it only. From looking into /var/log/firewall, it seemed to me, I can make the firewall exception rule not much more specific, can I?

Thanks for the link to upplay! This fine peace of software, I'm quit sure might be prove useful in the future and let me discover gmrender-resurrect.
(18-01-2015 13:11)DLNABubble Wrote: [ -> ]First fings first: MinimWatch is running on my Laptop successfully now! You have pointed me to the right direction. Thankyou!
For further reference:
All I had to to was to open up a port range in the firewall.

The laptop is running Linux (openSUSE in version 12.3 atm).
For both protocolls UDP and TCP I did open the port range 34000 to 55000 for incoming connection from the server's IP MinimServer is running on.
Connecting the laptop to other networks from time to time I quite like to have the firewall up and running and punch very small holes in it only. From looking into /var/log/firewall, it seemed to me, I can make the firewall exception rule not much more specific, can I?

Thanks for the link to upplay! This fine peace of software, I'm quit sure might be prove useful in the future and let me discover gmrender-resurrect.

I'm pleased to hear this is working now.

For UDP you should need only to open port 1900. For TCP, the port numbers for incoming connections are allocated by the ohNet stack and I'm not sure about the range of possible values. I think ohNet lets the operating system decide which port number to use.
Reference URL's