MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Server Name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi
I've changed the name that the server uses for display but I noticed that to start with it had called itself something like [advancedsearch.virginmedia.com].
Virgin Media is my ISP but I wondered how, where and why MinimServer decided to use this name. What has my own network got to do with my ISP?
Just curious

By the way, thanks for a great server, is there anyway you would consider either adding support for video and photos or maybe produce a separate server so that we can drop Twonky completely?
I know you don't want to complicate Minim too much so maybe a separate server would be the way to go?

Cheers

SD
Edit: Apologies, just realised this should really be in the general section not support.
(27-11-2014 09:02)Simmers Dad Wrote: [ -> ]Hi
I've changed the name that the server uses for display but I noticed that to start with it had called itself something like [advancedsearch.virginmedia.com].
Virgin Media is my ISP but I wondered how, where and why MinimServer decided to use this name. What has my own network got to do with my ISP?
Just curious

The default string includes the hostname of the computer or NAS that you are using to run MinimServer.

Quote:By the way, thanks for a great server, is there anyway you would consider either adding support for video and photos or maybe produce a separate server so that we can drop Twonky completely?
I know you don't want to complicate Minim too much so maybe a separate server would be the way to go?

Cheers

SD

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have any plans to do this as I am too busy keeping up with the music side of things. Smile
Thanks for such a fast reply.
It's interesting that it should have used the host name.
I actually re-installed MinimServer on my Qnap and I'm sure it used the NAS name the first time but I noticed it was using the virgin media name after the re-install.
I really don't know where it got it from though.
Everything is working fine anyway though so thanks.

SD
(27-11-2014 09:16)Simmers Dad Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for such a fast reply.
It's interesting that it should have used the host name.
I actually re-installed MinimServer on my Qnap and I'm sure it used the NAS name the first time but I noticed it was using the virgin media name after the re-install.
I really don't know where it got it from though.
Everything is working fine anyway though so thanks.

SD

If you have multiple network adapters in your NAS (real or virtual), it's possible that this might be the hostname for one of the adapters.
Ah that makes sense, MinimWatch must have picked it up from my laptop.
I had to edit ohnet.subnet to get MinimWatch working properly.

Thanks again.

SD
(27-11-2014 20:19)Simmers Dad Wrote: [ -> ]Ah that makes sense, MinimWatch must have picked it up from my laptop.
I had to edit ohnet.subnet to get MinimWatch working properly.

Thanks again.

SD

The default displayName value is produced by MinimServer, not by MinimWatch. MinimWatch enables you to view and change this default value.
Oh well, I don't know how it got there then.

Maybe I pasted something in and changed it with MinimWatch when I edited ohnet.subnet.

Anyway, I changed it back with MinimWatch so all ok and working. Smile

Cheers

SD
Reference URL's