MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Minim server losing content directory information
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Simon,

I am running minimserver on a Raspberry Pi in my car.

After I haven't used the car for a while, minim server seems to have lost the contentDir information.

Below is info from the log:

MinimServer 0.8.1, Copyright © 2012, 2013 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_40-b43)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 24.0-b56, mixed mode)
Platform default charset is UTF-8
starting MinimServer
MinimServer: no content directory selected

As the system is in the car, I can't easily run Minimwatch to fix the problem.

I can ssh into the RPi from my phone but it's rather cumbersome.

Is there a way this can be fixed?

Thanks, Guus
(21-11-2014 12:23)guussie Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Simon,

After I haven't used the car for a while, minim server seems to have lost the contentDir information.

starting MinimServer

Thanks, Guus

MinimServer keeps its property settings in the file minimserver/data/minimserver.config. It sounds like this file has been deleted somehow. MinimServer doesn't delete this file, so something must have happened to the RPi that caused this file to be deleted.

The next release of MinimServer will provide an easy way to fix this by setting the contentDir property from an SSH command prompt. For now, you could do this from an SSH command prompt:

echo "minimserver.contentDir = /path/to/your/content/directory" > /home/pi/minimserver/data/minimserver.config

This assumes that you installed MinimServer in the /home/pi directory.
(21-11-2014 13:17)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-11-2014 12:23)guussie Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Simon,

starting MinimServer

Thanks, Guus

MinimServer keeps its property settings in the file minimserver/data/minimserver.config. It sounds like this file has been deleted somehow. MinimServer doesn't delete this file, so something must have happened to the RPi that caused this file to be deleted.

The next release of MinimServer will provide an easy way to fix this by setting the contentDir property from an SSH command prompt. For now, you could do this from an SSH command prompt:

echo "minimserver.contentDir = /path/to/your/content/directory" > /home/pi/minimserver/data/minimserver.config

This assumes that you installed MinimServer in the /home/pi directory.

I removed the system from the car and checked this file already. The file is there but somehow the directory information is missing. The tag information is also set to your default (I originally added Quality and Label tags).

Could there be anything else at play?

Could I set the log to debug and check it after the problem occurs again?

Thanks, Guus
(21-11-2014 13:23)guussie Wrote: [ -> ]I removed the system from the car and checked this file already. The file is there but somehow the directory information is missing. The tag information is also set to your default (I originally added Quality and Label tags).

Thanks, Guus

If everything is set to default values, this means the minimserver.config file was deleted somehow. When MinimServer was restarted, it would have recreated the file and put the default values in there as well as producing the message you saw.
Same thing just happened to me on linux. There was a power cut (so I didn't properly powered down the server) and when it booted up again all Minimserver config file values were at default and I got the same error message of "no content directory selected".

Just reconfigured and rescanned and came to the forum to see if anyone else had had the same problem.
(21-11-2014 14:04)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-11-2014 13:23)guussie Wrote: [ -> ]I removed the system from the car and checked this file already. The file is there but somehow the directory information is missing. The tag information is also set to your default (I originally added Quality and Label tags).

Thanks, Guus

If everything is set to default values, this means the minimserver.config file was deleted somehow. When MinimServer was restarted, it would have recreated the file and put the default values in there as well as producing the message you saw.

I used my setup again in the car and the same thing happened again. When in the car I do not power down the RPi correctly, just cut the power.

Is it possible to lock the config file so that it can't be deleted?
(25-11-2014 08:33)guussie Wrote: [ -> ]I used my setup again in the car and the same thing happened again. When in the car I do not power down the RPi correctly, just cut the power.

I will try to reproduce this on my RPi and see whether I can find a workaround.
(25-11-2014 10:53)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(25-11-2014 08:33)guussie Wrote: [ -> ]I used my setup again in the car and the same thing happened again. When in the car I do not power down the RPi correctly, just cut the power.

MinimServer was writing the config file without doing a "sync" on the Linux filesystem. This problem will be fixed in the next release of MinimServer. Thanks for letting me know about it.
(04-12-2014 12:30)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(25-11-2014 10:53)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks Simon!
MinimServer was writing the config file without doing a "sync" on the Linux filesystem. This problem will be fixed in the next release of MinimServer. Thanks for letting me know about it.
Reference URL's