MinimServer Forum

Full Version: MinimWatch disconnects momentarily
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Or it could possibly be the VirginMedia Superhub.

I have one of these any when I ran it as a wireless router I found it would keep dropping the wireless connection to my PC and reconnecting - not that I was using MinimWatch then.

I switched to using the VM Superhub just as a cable modem and started using a separate wireless router and this solved the problem.

RSJ - if you look at the wireless connection symbol on the PC - is the wireless link dropping as well as MinimWatch disconnecting. Rather than perhaps trying to spot this, if you use a browser on the PC to play an internet radio station - does it drop out after a while?
(17-11-2014 11:37)Peter@57m Wrote: [ -> ]Or it could possibly be the VirginMedia Superhub.

This seems less likely in this setup because the Virgin hub shouldn't be involved in the connection path between the MinimWatch computer and the MinimServer computer. I think the first step should be to confirm whether eliminating the range extender makes a difference.

Edit: My comment assumes that the WAP (Wireless Access Point) is in the Buffalo switch. If the WAP is in the Virgin router, the Virgin router might be the cause of the problem.
Apologies for taking time to reply - i have been traveling.

The wireless switch, a Buffalo, is connected to a Netgear range extender. My laptop is connected to the same range extender (which is connected to the Virgin hub).

I do not experience any problems maintaining my connection to the network/internet from my laptop.

(And thank you, both, for helping.)
(04-12-2014 21:01)RSJ Wrote: [ -> ]Apologies for taking time to reply - i have been traveling.

The wireless switch, a Buffalo, is connected to a Netgear range extender. My laptop is connected to the same range extender (which is connected to the Virgin hub).

I do not experience any problems maintaining my connection to the network/internet from my laptop.

(And thank you, both, for helping.)

UPnP uses multicast communication which isn't the same protocol that is used to talk to the internet from a laptop.

The problem with multicast could be related to the range extender, the Virgin hub or the Buffalo switch. To find out which of these is causing the problem, you would need to experiment with different configurations, perhaps using long Ethernet cables to replace some components temporarily.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's