MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Minimserver Displaying deleted genre
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello,
Firstly thank you Simon for your excellent application.
I've recently installed Minimserver and have duly been obliged to wrestle my metadata into shape as although the content of my carefully sorted library within iTunes indexes and plays as expected with other most software I use, Minimserver appears to be far more critical of tagging discrepancies etc...!
Although it's been a painful and protracted week it has been a good lesson in detailed housecleaning too :-)

As another member here recently posted, I have also employed the application Yate which has been proven immensely useful and an expedient tool to resolve many issues with AIFF files logging 'unexpected end of file' and other vagaries of the associated protocols.

However, having now managed to clear most obstacles and being able to view my library and its defined genres via a remote upnp control point in essentially the same manner as I do within iTunes, I have come unstuck with a curly issue....

One of my defined genres is appearing with the correct number of 'albums' listed, but only a dozen of them display their covers, the rest are indicated only by a message stating 'loading'....which doesn't progress.
Selecting one of these bogey 'album' fields crashes my control point software.

I did find that although the 'albums' are not loading correctly to be displayed, if I instead select any of the associated listed 'artists' from within the same viewing pane, the artists album loads and plays as per normal.

Believing that there must be some type of issue with Minimservers misreading of only this genre within my music directory, I selected all the albums of this genre in iTunes and changed their genre to another, in this case, from Dub Reggae, to Reggae Dub.

Following this I deleted the Dub Reggae from iTunes and checked to see that the albums played fine and were all in place in the new Reggae Dub genre from within iTunes... all good.

Next I set Minimserver to rescan my library (the entire 3.5 TB is on one disk which has all been sorted using iTunes).
Once complete I am now finding that Minimserver sees BOTH, the old deleted genre Dub Reggae and the new one, Reggae Dub... and both have exactly the same problem with only a dozen of hundreds of albums visible !?!
Checking that tagging of some of these errant albums using Yate also shows no discrepancies, and offers no clues as to what is going on.

So I tried setting the root directory of Minimserver to point directly at one of the albums which won't display in the album view otherwise, and when I do this it appears and plays correctly.
Which suggests that the error is not in the actual file structure of my hard drive, but in the manner in which Minimserver is viewing the file structure of the genre to which this and the other unreadable albums are associated.
Note that I am using the default server configuration.

Although I still cannot understand how it is managing to find the old deleted genre to display when it is apparently no longer existing in iTunes ??
Looking at ones iTunes music folder does not show any specific structure other than folders of all artists arranged alphabetically, the actual assignment of genres and playlists is not visible, can you please explain from where this information is derived in order for Minimserver to present it correctly, or incorrectly for that matter ?

Any suggestions are most certainly appreciated.
(02-11-2014 07:22)Coolhand Wrote: [ -> ]Although I still cannot understand how it is managing to find the old deleted genre to display when it is apparently no longer existing in iTunes ??
Looking at ones iTunes music folder does not show any specific structure other than folders of all artists arranged alphabetically, the actual assignment of genres and playlists is not visible, can you please explain from where this information is derived in order for Minimserver to present it correctly, or incorrectly for that matter ?

Any suggestions are most certainly appreciated.

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

MinimServer reads Genre information from tags within the files. It keeps a cache of this information to avoid rereading it when the tag information hasn't changed. When Minimserver does a library rescan, it detects tag changes within a file by looking at the file's timestamp and length and it rereads tag information from the file if either of these has changed.

Some control points also keep a cache of the information they have read from MinimServer. From the symptoms you have described, I think the most likely cause of the problems you are having is out-of-date cache information in the control point. Which control point are you using? If it is a Naim control point, there is a menu selection to clear the cache.

If you want to make sure that MinimServer's cache information is correct and up to date, you can set the startupScan property to 'full' and do a MinimServer rescan. This tells MinimServer to reread all tag information from all your files and rebuild its cache. This takes a long time with a large library, so you should reset startupScan to its default value of 'true' after you have done this.
Thanks for your prompt response Simon !
I tried your suggestions and ran a full rescan of Minimserver, I also deleted the control point app (MOON MiND Control) from my iPhone, which deletes all of its data, and then re-downloaded it, unfortunately to no avail Undecided

Still the old apparently 'non existent' genre appears and when selected now it opens to reveal the text (as viewed on my iPhone):

>>Complete Album

and its list of 10 tracks below.
When I select >>Complete Album, it opens the album displaying at the top:

>>Hide Contents

and the album with its cover art displayed below which I can select and it further reveals the album view with track listing and track times, and plays as per normal, excepting that all the tracks appear twice !

Meanwhile the newly created genre when selected opens to inform me (as viewed on my iPhone):

334 albums
4682 items
Artist
AlbumArtist
All Artists
Composer

When I select the top field it then opens to reveal the covers of ONLY the first 16 (not 12 as I previously mentioned !) of 334 albums. (and none of them are the one which is displayed in the old "deleted' genre which I can play !?!

If I select the Artist field however it lists the entire number of artists and their albums from which I can select any to play.

I'm going a little loopy here trying to figure out what the dickens is going on..... is there another secret cache, a ghost in the machine or
should I try entirely deleting and re-installing Minimsever ??

Thanks for your time
(02-11-2014 09:18)Coolhand Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your prompt response Simon !
I tried your suggestions and ran a full rescan of Minimserver, I also deleted the control point app (MOON MiND Control) from my iPhone, which deletes all of its data, and then re-downloaded it, unfortunately to no avail Undecided

Still the old apparently 'non existent' genre appears and when selected now it opens to reveal the text (as viewed on my iPhone):

>>Complete Album

and its list of 10 tracks below.
When I select >>Complete Album, it opens the album displaying at the top:

>>Hide Contents

and the album with its cover art displayed below which I can select and it further reveals the album view with track listing and track times, and plays as per normal, excepting that all the tracks appear twice !

You have two copies of this album in your library. One copy has been updated to the new Genre and the other copy still retains the old Genre.

Quote:Meanwhile the newly created genre when selected opens to inform me (as viewed on my iPhone):

334 albums
4682 items
Artist
AlbumArtist
All Artists
Composer

When I select the top field it then opens to reveal the covers of ONLY the first 16 (not 12 as I previously mentioned !) of 334 albums. (and none of them are the one which is displayed in the old "deleted' genre which I can play !?!

Is there some way to scroll down the album cover list to reveal additional albums? If not, this suggests that the control point had a problem processing album number 16 or 17.

Quote:If I select the Artist field however it lists the entire number of artists and their albums from which I can select any to play.

I'm going a little loopy here trying to figure out what the dickens is going on..... is there another secret cache, a ghost in the machine or
should I try entirely deleting and re-installing Minimsever ??

Thanks for your time

There is no point in deleting and reinstalling MinimServer. The problem with the incomplete list of albums is probably caused by the control point. To confirm this, I suggest you try a different control point such as Linn Kinsky to check whether this shows you the complete list of 334 albums.
Right you were Simon, the album was in duplicate so I deleted the doubles.
I just installed Kinsky and bumboclaat !!!!!... the 'old' genre is still appearing...although the duplicate entries now inform me that the 'item was modified or deleted' I can still play the originals, but there is no album count display of the other 334.

The 'new' genre lists the 334 albums but when selected it displays only a very long list of empty boxes for what should be the covers and attempting to select any of them does nothing at all.
I no longer see the first 16 album covers as I could with the MOON MiND Control app, however I can as before go back a step and select the artist field and the full list is populated and the associated albums display cover art and play correctly.

I'm running low on aspirin at the moment :-P
I should again mention that all other genres and files in my sizeable library play without issue...
Your mention of caches had me wondering about unflushed data... so I decided to run ONYX, a maintenance tool to OS X which offers an array of system cleaning and housekeeping routines (including JAVA caches) amongst other things.
Previous use has proven to be a very effective remedy when any of my Macs have become noticeably less responsive than usual.

After it had run its course and rebooted I re-ran the Minimserver scan and well, if it ain't Christmas already it must be getting' close, 'cause that rascallywag of a defunked genre is now gone !!!

All is not fully sorted yet though, I still cannot get past the 16th album loading in the albums view for the new genre.
The list indicating '334 albums' is scrollable, but is completely empty from the 16th onward and the only way to access them is via a step back, and using another of the options such as:

4682 items
Artist
AlbumArtist
All Artists
Composer

Might you have any further thoughts as to the issue at play here Simon ?
(02-11-2014 12:46)Coolhand Wrote: [ -> ]All is not fully sorted yet though, I still cannot get past the 16th album loading in the albums view for the new genre.
The list indicating '334 albums' is scrollable, but is completely empty from the 16th onward and the only way to access them is via a step back, and using another of the options such as:

4682 items
Artist
AlbumArtist
All Artists
Composer

Might you have any further thoughts as to the issue at play here Simon ?

If you are seeing this problem in Kinsky, I think there must be something wrong with the XML data that MinimServer is sending for the 16th or 17th album. Please do the following:

1) Restart MinimServer
2) Using Kinsky, navigate to the Genre container that is causing the problem (without clicking on anything inside this container)
3) From the minim icon, select 'Show log'
4) In the log window, set the logging level to Trace
5) Leave the log window open
6) In Kinsky, click on the '334 albums' selection (without clicking on anything in the album list that is displayed)
7) In the log window, click 'Save as' to save a log file
8) In the log window, set the logging level back to Info
9) Zip the log file that you created in step 7 and attach it to a post here

Many thanks!
O.k here is the log file:
(02-11-2014 15:09)Coolhand Wrote: [ -> ]O.k here is the log file:

THanks very much! Some questions:

1) Which is the last album that displays correctly in the abum list?

2) Does this album show an album art image?

3) If you click on this album, do you see its tracks?
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's