MinimServer Forum

Full Version: MinimServer with Twonky on QNAP: UPnP conflict?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First, let me say as a newcomer how delighted I am to have found MinimServer! I've been struggling with various media servers on my ancient QNAP TS-109 (just spent the best part of a day and a half trying to get LMS working, and eventually gave up), and now at last I think I've found what I've been looking for: well designed, well implemented and classical music aware. Thank you!

Now for a couple of questions.

1. As many will know, TwonkyMedia comes installed by default on the old QNAP NASs. If you want to update to a more recent version of TM, you have to install it as a QPKG and you have to turn off the UPnP function on the QNAP admin page, to disable pre-installed version. When I first installed MinimServer I couldn't understand why it wasn't showing up on the network, then I remembered about the UPnP setting and once I'd enabled it - hey presto! - there was MinimServer working like a dream. However, it looks as though I'll now have to revert to the older, built-in version of TM (which I use for photos film and video), as disabling UPnP to allow a newer QPKG TM version (which I assume must have it's own UPnP in the package) will presumably prevent network devices finding MinimServer. Putting it another way, am I correct in thinking MinimServer makes use of the default UPnP on the QNAP, rather that having it built into its own package? If so, is there any way of reconfiguring this, in order to be able to use a newer version of TwonkyMedia at the same time?

2. I've also installed MinimWatch on my Ubuntu desktop. It's a useful little app, but I can't find an autostart setting. How would one set that up in Linux?
(04-10-2014 17:20)nickc Wrote: [ -> ]First, let me say as a newcomer how delighted I am to have found MinimServer! I've been struggling with various media servers on my ancient QNAP TS-109 (just spent the best part of a day and a half trying to get LMS working, and eventually gave up), and now at last I think I've found what I've been looking for: well designed, well implemented and classical music aware. Thank you!

Thanks very much!

Quote:Now for a couple of questions.

1. As many will know, TwonkyMedia comes installed by default on the old QNAP NASs. If you want to update to a more recent version of TM, you have to install it as a QPKG and you have to turn off the UPnP function on the QNAP admin page, to disable pre-installed version. When I first installed MinimServer I couldn't understand why it wasn't showing up on the network, then I remembered about the UPnP setting and once I'd enabled it - hey presto! - there was MinimServer working like a dream. However, it looks as though I'll now have to revert to the older, built-in version of TM (which I use for photos film and video), as disabling UPnP to allow a newer QPKG TM version (which I assume must have it's own UPnP in the package) will presumably prevent network devices finding MinimServer. Putting it another way, am I correct in thinking MinimServer makes use of the default UPnP on the QNAP, rather that having it built into its own package? If so, is there any way of reconfiguring this, in order to be able to use a newer version of TwonkyMedia at the same time?

MinimServer doesn't use the default UPnP on the QNAP. I am running MinimServer on my TS-109 with the default UPnP disabled. (The default UPnP is an old version of Twonky.)

I have also tried installing the QPKG for Twonky 6.0.34 (leaving the default UPnP disabled) and this is able to run at the same time as MinimServer without any conflicts or discovery problems.

I suggest you try this again and see what happens. If you have a problem, try rebooting the NAS to see if this helps.

Quote:2. I've also installed MinimWatch on my Ubuntu desktop. It's a useful little app, but I can't find an autostart setting. How would one set that up in Linux?

I'm working on this at the moment.
Brilliant! Thanks for such a swift response. I'll play around further with UPnP and see how I get on, now I know it should work the way I want it. And will await with interest the outcome of your work on autostart for MinimWatch! Thanks!
OK, I've had another try: switched off UPnP (old Twonky), installed 6.0.34 in QPKG, and everything hunk-dory! I don't know what the original problem was, but delighted not to have to do any more troubleshooting.
Reference URL's