MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Use of colon in file name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello.

So I had an album on my NAS that could not be seen on any of the control points I tested with (Lumin, Lightning DS).

Within the album there were two albums tracks that had a colon ":" in the filename.

02 Yes - Starship Trooper: Life Seeker - Disillusion - Würm

and

04 Yes - I've Seen All Good People: Your Move - All Good People

If I edited the meta data and replaced the colon ":" with a space then after rescanning the album shows up in my control points.

My question is whether the use of a colon is acceptable with Minimserver?

Trying to determine if issue with my control point software. Not sure how many other albums I might have that use a colon.

Thanks.

Barr
(11-09-2014 00:37)bplexico Wrote: [ -> ]Hello.

So I had an album on my NAS that could not be seen on any of the control points I tested with (Lumin, Lightning DS).

Within the album there were two albums tracks that had a colon ":" in the filename.

02 Yes - Starship Trooper: Life Seeker - Disillusion - Würm

and

04 Yes - I've Seen All Good People: Your Move - All Good People

If I edited the meta data and replaced the colon ":" with a space then after rescanning the album shows up in my control points.

My question is whether the use of a colon is acceptable with Minimserver?

Trying to determine if issue with my control point software. Not sure how many other albums I might have that use a colon.

Thanks.

Barr

I've tried this and there's no problem with MinimServer when using Kinsky as the control point.

It seems a strange coincidence that this hapens with both your control points.

Edit: Does the filename also contain a colon, or just the metadata title? I have only tried it with a colon in the metadata title.

Edit 2: I tried it with with a colon in the filename: still OK.
I can't cast any light on the problem, but it is interesting that MP3Tag, for example, always removes colons (and some other path-related characters as well) when converting tags to file names. I think that this is a sensible precaution.

David
(11-09-2014 11:29)DavidHB Wrote: [ -> ]I can't cast any light on the problem, but it is interesting that MP3Tag, for example, always removes colons (and some other path-related characters as well) when converting tags to file names. I think that this is a sensible precaution.

David

Windows (unlike Linux) doesn't allow the colon in filenames. Mp3tag is a Windows program, so it has no choice but to remove the colon. On Linux, there should be no problem if the filename contains a colon (unless you are using a Windows network share to access the file).
(11-09-2014 11:44)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Windows (unlike Linux) doesn't allow the colon in filenames. Mp3tag is a Windows program, so it has no choice but to remove the colon. On Linux, there should be no problem if the filename contains a colon (unless you are using a Windows network share to access the file).

Indeed. But when files are accessed and copied across OS boundaries (an increasingly common circumstance), it is pretty much essential to use file names that are compatible with all the OSs used. While MP3Tag has no choice, as you say, what it does is also a sensible precaution for any multi-OS setup.

David
Hello. The filename itself contains a colon it in. I will check the meta data as well, and compare versus the Kinsky control point and report back. The album does show up on all control points if I remove the colon and replace it with a space.

Barr
(11-09-2014 15:32)DavidHB Wrote: [ -> ]Indeed. But when files are accessed and copied across OS boundaries (an increasingly common circumstance), it is pretty much essential to use file names that are compatible with all the OSs used. While MP3Tag has no choice, as you say, what it does is also a sensible precaution for any multi-OS setup.

David

I tried it on Mac and the colon is illegal there as well. Apparently this is for historical reasons rather than imitating Windows. Smile
(11-09-2014 16:47)bplexico Wrote: [ -> ]Hello. The filename itself contains a colon it in. I will check the meta data as well, and compare versus the Kinsky control point and report back. The album does show up on all control points if I remove the colon and replace it with a space.

Barr

I tried this on a Synology NAS and File Station wouldn't allow me put a colon into a filename. How did you create filenames containing colons on your Synology NAS?
So here is what I can report. The album was ripped from a Mac. So on a Mac using a ripping program such as XLD, the colon shows up on the track name when viewing the meta data. Also when view the track at the file level, the filename has a colon as well. This album was then copied to my Synology NAS (1812+) from my Mac.

I just tested with the Kinsky application as well, it does not display the album when there is a colon present, when I replace the colon with a space it is displayed.

If I use DSM on the Synology NAS, and use the File Station application, the filename has a colon in it, and I can see the album.

I will see if I can round up a PC to figure out what might be going on here.

Barr
(11-09-2014 17:22)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-09-2014 16:47)bplexico Wrote: [ -> ]Hello. The filename itself contains a colon it in. I will check the meta data as well, and compare versus the Kinsky control point and report back. The album does show up on all control points if I remove the colon and replace it with a space.

Barr

I tried this on a Synology NAS and File Station wouldn't allow me put a colon into a filename. How did you create filenames containing colons on your Synology NAS?

Simon - I ripped the album on my Mac using XLD. I then copied the resulting folder with the album tracks to my Synology NAS.

And I just tried what you did as well, and you are correct File Station does not allow me to put a colon in a filename.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's