MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Synology 213 unable to load UTF-8 after DSM 5 upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Had been running minim server 0.72 smoothly with DSM 4.3 on my Synology 213. Owing to the recent Synolocker threat I upgraded my NAS to DSM 5.0-4493 update 3 with minim server 0.82. Don't know why minim now can only start with ASCII charset ("Platform default charset is US-ASCII") instead of UTF-8 and as a result my non-English songs are all disappeared. Tried both Java SE Embedded 7 and 8 but it didn't help. Also tried reinstalling minim 0.72 and received the "UTF-8 locale and charset not available" message. Anyone encountered the same issue ? Is this a compatibility issue between minim 0.82 and DSM 5 ? Thanks in advance for all your suggestions and answers !
(17-08-2014 19:09)JohnTan Wrote: [ -> ]Had been running minim server 0.72 smoothly with DSM 4.3 on my Synology 213. Owing to the recent Synolocker threat I upgraded my NAS to DSM 5.0-4493 update 3 with minim server 0.82. Don't know why minim now can only start with ASCII charset ("Platform default charset is US-ASCII") instead of UTF-8 and as a result my non-English songs are all disappeared. Tried both Java SE Embedded 7 and 8 but it didn't help. Also tried reinstalling minim 0.72 and received the "UTF-8 locale and charset not available" message. Anyone encountered the same issue ? Is this a compatibility issue between minim 0.82 and DSM 5 ? Thanks in advance for all your suggestions and answers !

There isn't a compatibility issue between MinimServer 0.8.2 and DSM 5.0. I am running both of these with no problems.

If you login to the NAS with SSH and type the command:

locale -a

what output do you get?
Hi Simon ! Thanks for your prompt response and here is the output :

DiskStation> locale -a
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
C
cs_CZ.utf8
da_DK.utf8
de_DE.utf8
en_US.utf8
es_ES.utf8
fr_FR.utf8
hu_HU.utf8
it_IT.utf8
ja_JP.utf8
ko_KR.utf8
nb_NO.utf8
nl_NL.utf8
pl_PL.utf8
POSIX
pt_BR.utf8
pt_PT.utf8
ru_RU.utf8
sv_SE.utf8
tr_TR.utf8
zh_CN.utf8
zh_TW.utf8
DiskStation>
(18-08-2014 12:24)JohnTan Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simon ! Thanks for your prompt response and here is the output :

DiskStation> locale -a
C
cs_CZ.utf8
da_DK.utf8
de_DE.utf8
en_US.utf8
es_ES.utf8
fr_FR.utf8
hu_HU.utf8
it_IT.utf8
ja_JP.utf8
ko_KR.utf8
nb_NO.utf8
nl_NL.utf8
pl_PL.utf8
POSIX
pt_BR.utf8
pt_PT.utf8
ru_RU.utf8
sv_SE.utf8
tr_TR.utf8
zh_CN.utf8
zh_TW.utf8
DiskStation>

This shows the correct utf8 locales are installed on your NAS. The error message:

looks like the cause of the problem. It seems that something went wrong with your locale configuration when you updated from DSM 4.3 to DSM 5.0. I get the following output on DSM 5.0:

DS713> locale -a
C
POSIX
cs_CZ.utf8
da_DK.utf8
de_DE.utf8
en_US.utf8
es_ES.utf8
fr_FR.utf8
hu_HU.utf8
it_IT.utf8
ja_JP.utf8
ko_KR.utf8
nb_NO.utf8
nl_NL.utf8
pl_PL.utf8
pt_BR.utf8
pt_PT.utf8
ru_RU.utf8
sv_SE.utf8
tr_TR.utf8
zh_CN.utf8
zh_TW.utf8

I've never seen this "Cannot set LC_CTYPE" message and I don't know how to fix it. I think your safest option is contact Synology support for advice.
(18-08-2014 15:03)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-08-2014 12:24)JohnTan Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simon ! Thanks for your prompt response and here is the output :

DiskStation> locale -a
C
cs_CZ.utf8
da_DK.utf8
de_DE.utf8
en_US.utf8
es_ES.utf8
fr_FR.utf8
hu_HU.utf8
it_IT.utf8
ja_JP.utf8
ko_KR.utf8
nb_NO.utf8
nl_NL.utf8
pl_PL.utf8
POSIX
pt_BR.utf8
pt_PT.utf8
ru_RU.utf8
sv_SE.utf8
tr_TR.utf8
zh_CN.utf8
zh_TW.utf8
DiskStation>

This shows the correct utf8 locales are installed on your NAS. The error message:

looks like the cause of the problem. It seems that something went wrong with your locale configuration when you updated from DSM 4.3 to DSM 5.0. I get the following output on DSM 5.0:

DS713> locale -a
C
POSIX
cs_CZ.utf8
da_DK.utf8
de_DE.utf8
en_US.utf8
es_ES.utf8
fr_FR.utf8
hu_HU.utf8
it_IT.utf8
ja_JP.utf8
ko_KR.utf8
nb_NO.utf8
nl_NL.utf8
pl_PL.utf8
pt_BR.utf8
pt_PT.utf8
ru_RU.utf8
sv_SE.utf8
tr_TR.utf8
zh_CN.utf8
zh_TW.utf8

I've never seen this "Cannot set LC_CTYPE" message and I don't know how to fix it. I think your safest option is contact Synology support for advice.

I have the same problem as JohnTan.

Does JohnTan (or anyone) solve the problem ?

For Simon : when I use synology media server (and not minimserver) with Kinsky or Lumin app on my IPAD I have no problem with UTF-8 (french songs and folders are ok). Ma question : the problem is MinimServer or DSM 5.0 configuration ?

Thanks for all
(22-08-2014 12:13)gerard Wrote: [ -> ]I have the same problem as JohnTan.

For Simon : when I use synology media server (and not minimserver) with Kinsky or Lumin app on my IPAD I have no problem with UTF-8 (french songs and folders are ok). Ma question : the problem is MinimServer or DSM 5.0 configuration ?

Thanks for all

The problem is caused by DSM 5.0. I have informed Synology about this.

MinimServer uses Java, which requires a correct DSM locale setting to be able to read files and folders containing non-English characters.

Synology Media Server doesn't use Java, so it can read these files and folders even though the DSM locale setting is incorrect.
(22-08-2014 12:33)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(22-08-2014 12:13)gerard Wrote: [ -> ]I have the same problem as JohnTan.

Thanks for all

The problem is caused by DSM 5.0. I have informed Synology about this.

MinimServer uses Java, which requires a correct DSM locale setting to be able to read files and folders containing non-English characters.

Synology Media Server doesn't use Java, so it can read these files and folders even though the DSM locale setting is incorrect.

Thanks Simon ! Now I don't have to try re-building the whole NAS. Does that mean I now have to wait for their next DSM update assuming it will be fixed ?
(23-08-2014 07:38)JohnTan Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Simon ! Now I don't have to try re-building the whole NAS. Does that mean I now have to wait for their next DSM update assuming it will be fixed ?

You should contact Synology support and ask them for advice.
Did you uninstall and reinstall java? AFAIR the description of the java installer package that I am using tells you have to reinstall java after a system upgrade to make the locales work correct.

On my synology DS213 minimserver shows the utf8 tags fine. Even the peace sign of prince's sign O the times album is displayed in the naim N-Stream app.
This turned out to be a DSM upgrade issue and thanks tarnkappe for telling me that his DS213 is running well with DSM 5. I ended up re-setting my DS213 with complete DSM 5.0 firmware re-installed and the problem is now resolved. Thanks everyone for your assistance and suggestions !
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's