MinimServer Forum

Full Version: A few strange things, minimserver Qnap 109
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I (finally!) installed Minimserver last night on my Qnap 109 II NAS. Some albums appear to have been indexed in a bit strange way.

1. One group I have quite many albums by, have been indexed with only one album (Artist -> Album), and few more appear if I click Date. The majority of albums don't appear at all. (For reference, the group is Fläsket Brinner)

2. I have tagged a few albums by Label. Some of these don't show when clicking the Label item, (e.g. the album Hon Kom Över Mon by the group Contact or the album Framtiden Är Ett Svävande Skepp Förankrat I Forntiden by the group Älgarnas Trädgård)

3. One album have only been indexed with four random songs from the album, the others songs don't appear at all. (Goda' Goda' by the artist Jojje Wadenius)

I have attached the log.

Thanks.
(28-09-2012 11:46)Cableguy Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I (finally!) installed Minimserver last night on my Qnap 109 II NAS. Some albums appear to have been indexed in a bit strange way.

1. One group I have quite many albums by, have been indexed with only one album (Artist -> Album), and few more appear if I click Date. The majority of albums don't appear at all. (For reference, the group is Fläsket Brinner)

2. I have tagged a few albums by Label. Some of these don't show when clicking the Label item, (e.g. the album Hon Kom Över Mon by the group Contact or the album Framtiden Är Ett Svävande Skepp Förankrat I Forntiden by the group Älgarnas Trädgård)

3. One album have only been indexed with four random songs from the album, the others songs don't appear at all. (Goda' Goda' by the artist Jojje Wadenius)

I have attached the log.

Thanks.

There's nothing in the log that would explain this problem.

I noticed that a lot of the names you mentioned contain non-ASCII characters (Fläsket, Svävande, Älgarnas Trädgård, etc.). The MinimServer QPKG sets the charset for the MinimServer process to UTF-8, and if these characters are present in your filenames but not encoded as UTF-8, MinimServer won't be able to see these files. (This is a Java issue.)

Please can you check the filenames for the missing songs or albums. If they have non-ASCII characters, what encoding has been used? If the encoding isn't UTF-8, this may be because the songs have been copied to the NAS from a different platform/charset such as Windows/Windows-1252.

To resolve this, you have a few options:

1) Convert the filenames to UTF-8 using the convmv tool (available from this link). This requires knowing what the original charset is for the files.
2) Convert the filenames to ASCII. I know there are tools to do this, but I don't have a specific recommendation.
3) Leave the filenames as they are, and install the correct locale and charset on the NAS to handle them. If you decide to do this, you'll also need to change the charset in the minimserver.sh script that starts MinimServer. The lines you need to change contain the string LANG=en_US.utf8.
(28-09-2012 12:36)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Please can you check the filenames for the missing songs or albums. If they have non-ASCII characters, what encoding has been used? If the encoding isn't UTF-8, this may be because the songs have been copied to the NAS from a different platform/charset such as Windows/Windows-1252.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply!

Well, the file names don't necessarily contain the å,ä,ö characters, but the folder containing the files does every time.

Regarding the missing tracks from a certain album, these missing tracks do all contain the å,ä,ö characters.

How do I check what sort of characters the files contain?

You wouldn't happen to have any pointers as how to go about your third suggestion, how to install the correct locale and charset on the NAS? Would this also help with the folders containing the non-ASCII characters?

Thank you once again. Minimserver on the NAS is surely a pleasure to browse and to deal with.
(28-09-2012 12:57)Cableguy Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your comprehensive reply!

Well, the file names don't necessarily contain the å,ä,ö characters, but the folder containing the files does every time.

Regarding the missing tracks from a certain album, these missing tracks do all contain the å,ä,ö characters.

How do I check what sort of characters the files contain?

You wouldn't happen to have any pointers as how to go about your third suggestion, how to install the correct locale and charset on the NAS? Would this also help with the folders containing the non-ASCII characters?

Thank you once again. Minimserver on the NAS is surely a pleasure to browse and to deal with.

OK, this is definitely the problem. This issue applies to both filenames and folder names, and the same fix can be used for both. To find out what charset is being used, you can do the following:

1) Use SSH or Telnet to open a Linux command prompt on the NAS.
2) In the parent folder containing files or folders with non-ASCII names, type "ls -l > /share/Public/filenames.txt". This will create a file named filenames.txt in the /share/Public folder. The contents of this file will indicate which charset is being used.
3) Please zip this file and attach it to a post here. I'll take a look at it and let you know what the charset is.

Installing additional charsets needs some familiarity with Linux. See this page for some information about how to do this.

The best long-term solution is to convert the filenames and folder names to UTF-8, as the world is moving towards UTF-8 as the standard representation for international characters. This is the solution that I chose when faced with the same problem.
Simon, thanks for being helpful. I have decided to move my music server to a windows 7 based pc instead.
Reference URL's