MinimServer Forum

Full Version: MinimServer Status in android browsers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm running MinimServer 0.8.1 update 30 (fully up to date as of now) on a headless Debian 7.5 (stable/wheezy) server. It works brilliantly in conjunction with UPnPlay on my Android phone, so first of all: thank you for an excellent media server that actually understands that music has composers as well as performers.

As well as a relatively unchanging lossless music collection I also have an ever changing variety of radio shows and podcasts arriving, some scheduled and some manually (and minimserver's sort-by-date ability is perfect for this) so I update minimserver at least a couple of times a day. This is fine on my desktop or laptop as I can do it with MinimWatch. On my Android device (nothing unusual, an old Galaxy Note running Samsung's Android 4.1.2) I found that the MinimServer Status page displays just fine but the "Rescan" button did absolutely nothing. I tried both the stock Android browser and Firefox. Nothing. Then I noticed Firefox on Android has an option "Request Desktop Site" and if I enable that then the page looks identical but now the Rescan button works as expected. Another browser, Zirco, which by default uses a desktop viewport, also works fine.

The stock Android browser must be extremely common, also Firefox on Android is hardly a rarity. Is the way the status page is rendered something which can be improved in MinimServer?

Thanks again.
(10-06-2014 17:41)Julian Hughes Wrote: [ -> ]I'm running MinimServer 0.8.1 update 30 (fully up to date as of now) on a headless Debian 7.5 (stable/wheezy) server. It works brilliantly in conjunction with UPnPlay on my Android phone, so first of all: thank you for an excellent media server that actually understands that music has composers as well as performers.

As well as a relatively unchanging lossless music collection I also have an ever changing variety of radio shows and podcasts arriving, some scheduled and some manually (and minimserver's sort-by-date ability is perfect for this) so I update minimserver at least a couple of times a day. This is fine on my desktop or laptop as I can do it with MinimWatch. On my Android device (nothing unusual, an old Galaxy Note running Samsung's Android 4.1.2) I found that the MinimServer Status page displays just fine but the "Rescan" button did absolutely nothing. I tried both the stock Android browser and Firefox. Nothing. Then I noticed Firefox on Android has an option "Request Desktop Site" and if I enable that then the page looks identical but now the Rescan button works as expected. Another browser, Zirco, which by default uses a desktop viewport, also works fine.

The stock Android browser must be extremely common, also Firefox on Android is hardly a rarity. Is the way the status page is rendered something which can be improved in MinimServer?

Thanks again.

Thanks for letting me know about this problem. I will try installing Firefox for Android and test this to see what is causing the problem when "Request Desktop Site" isn't enabled.
(10-06-2014 21:38)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for letting me know about this problem. I will try installing Firefox for Android and test this to see what is causing the problem when "Request Desktop Site" isn't enabled.

If I use Firefox (without Request Desktop Site enabled) in the vertical (portrait) orientation, the Rescan button is wrapped to a new line and is greyed out and disabled.

If I rotate my Nexus 7 to use Firefox (without Request Desktop Site enabled) in the horizontal (landscape) orientation, the Rescan button is not wrapped to a new line and works correctly.

Can you try this on your device to see if the same thing happens?
I can't _reliably_ reproduce it now. My phone is almost always locked to portrait mode (800x1280 screen). It works as expected now in Firefox, in portrait orientation, without desktop site mode...except occasionally when it doesn't. Same server (no reboot or updates), same phone (has been rebooted to change the battery, no updates, but did a sync with my desktop Firefox), different behaviour. Meanwhile both MinimWatch on my desktop and MinimServer Status page on my desktop Firefox work 100% of the time exactly as expected. I tried a different, older Android device running Froyo (400x854 screen) and the stock browser was fine with this in locked portrait mode. I'm starting to think the odd behaviour is down to this version of this browser on this version of Android on this device etc. etc. at least something on this phone and not on MinimServer...am also suspecting that the rescan button on my device should have been greyed out but wasn't rendered correctly (maybe a cached version of the page was being displayed).

I will keep poking and prodding and let you know if I can reliably reproduce this issue but I think it's my problem or Firefox's problem, not MinimServer's. Thanks for your response and your time.
(11-06-2014 09:02)Julian Hughes Wrote: [ -> ]I will keep poking and prodding and let you know if I can reliably reproduce this issue but I think it's my problem or Firefox's problem, not MinimServer's. Thanks for your response and your time.

I have updated Firefox for Android to the latest level (version 30.0) and the status page is now working correctly in both portrait and landscape mode. This is without Request Desktop Site enabled. I am running Android 4.4.2.
Reference URL's