MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Minimserver Java 7 or 8 on Synology DS-211+ what is recommended?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have a Synology DS-211+ and updated it to DSM 5.0, the Java Version I am currently running is Java SE Embedded 7 1.7.0_55-0024.
There is a Java SE Embedded 7 Update 60 available (7th of May 2014) and also a Java 8 which dates back to 3rd of March 2014.

What do you recommend?
- stick with Java 7 Update 55
- update to Java 7 Update 60
- update to Java 8 from March
- wait until a new release for Java 8 will get available?

The system is running fine although every once in a while I have to restart the BubbleUPNP Server as otherwise Kinsky on my MAC will not recognize the Oppo BDP-105 which is addressed from BubbleUPNP Server.

Thanks for your consideration,
Joerg
(29-05-2014 18:43)Siriuslux Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I have a Synology DS-211+ and updated it to DSM 5.0, the Java Version I am currently running is Java SE Embedded 7 1.7.0_55-0024.
There is a Java SE Embedded 7 Update 60 available (7th of May 2014) and also a Java 8 which dates back to 3rd of March 2014.

What do you recommend?
- stick with Java 7 Update 55
- update to Java 7 Update 60
- update to Java 8 from March
- wait until a new release for Java 8 will get available?

The system is running fine although every once in a while I have to restart the BubbleUPNP Server as otherwise Kinsky on my MAC will not recognize the Oppo BDP-105 which is addressed from BubbleUPNP Server.

Thanks for your consideration,
Joerg

MinimServer should work fine with all of these. In general, later versions are better because they contain fixes for bugs and security holes. In this regard, I don't know whether 7u60 or 8 is "later". The next update of 8 should be "later" than 7u60.

I think it's unlikely that changing the Java version will make a difference to the BubbleUPnP Server problem.
Reference URL's