MinimServer Forum

Full Version: M2Tech Young DSD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got an M2Tech Young DSD and I'm using it with MinimServer (current release) running on a Synology DiskStation DS213j into a SOtM Mini Server - sMS-100. All of my FLAC files at all resolutions play fine, but when I try to play a dsf/dff/DSD file, the bitrate indicator on the Young DAC shows 176.2 and nothing plays. The only way I can get it to play a DSD file is to add 'dsf:dopwav, dff:dopwav' under the stream.transcode property. And of course my double rate DSD files won't play at all since I've read this is not supported for transcoding.
I'd like to play my dsf and dff files without transcoding if possible and also listen to my DSD128 files.
Any help is appreciated.
(13-05-2014 16:41)clar2391 Wrote: [ -> ]I just got an M2Tech Young DSD and I'm using it with MinimServer (current release) running on a Synology DiskStation DS213j into a SOtM Mini Server - sMS-100. All of my FLAC files at all resolutions play fine, but when I try to play a dsf/dff/DSD file, the bitrate indicator on the Young DAC shows 176.2 and nothing plays. The only way I can get it to play a DSD file is to add 'dsf:dopwav, dff:dopwav' under the stream.transcode property. And of course my double rate DSD files won't play at all since I've read this is not supported for transcoding.
I'd like to play my dsf and dff files without transcoding if possible and also listen to my DSD128 files.
Any help is appreciated.

Have you checked with Simple Design to confirm whether the sMS-100 is capable of streaming native DSD files (non-DoP) over UPnP? This is likely to be the reason why the native DSD stream doesn't play.
I've used the sMS-100 with JRiver as a DLNA server and it's able to take DSD natively (bitstreamed).

(13-05-2014 17:11)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(13-05-2014 16:41)clar2391 Wrote: [ -> ]I just got an M2Tech Young DSD and I'm using it with MinimServer (current release) running on a Synology DiskStation DS213j into a SOtM Mini Server - sMS-100. All of my FLAC files at all resolutions play fine, but when I try to play a dsf/dff/DSD file, the bitrate indicator on the Young DAC shows 176.2 and nothing plays. The only way I can get it to play a DSD file is to add 'dsf:dopwav, dff:dopwav' under the stream.transcode property. And of course my double rate DSD files won't play at all since I've read this is not supported for transcoding.
Any help is appreciated.

Have you checked with Simple Design to confirm whether the sMS-100 is capable of streaming native DSD files (non-DoP) over UPnP? This is likely to be the reason why the native DSD stream doesn't play.
(13-05-2014 18:32)clar2391 Wrote: [ -> ]I've used the sMS-100 with JRiver as a DLNA server and it's able to take DSD natively (bitstreamed).

Are you sure the DSD audio isn't being transcoded to DoP by JRiver? Is there some indication on the sMS-100 whether it's receiving DoP or native DSD?

Another possibility is that JRiver is sending a different MIME type value for native DSD than MinimServer, and the MIME type used by MinimServer isn't acceptable to the sMS-100.

When you browse and play files from MinimServer and/or JRiver on the sMS-100, which UPnP control point are you using?
(13-05-2014 19:18)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(13-05-2014 18:32)clar2391 Wrote: [ -> ]I've used the sMS-100 with JRiver as a DLNA server and it's able to take DSD natively (bitstreamed).

Are you sure the DSD audio isn't being transcoded to DoP by JRiver? Is there some indication on the sMS-100 whether it's receiving DoP or native DSD?

Another possibility is that JRiver is sending a different MIME type value for native DSD than MinimServer, and the MIME type used by MinimServer isn't acceptable to the sMS-100.

When you browse and play files from MinimServer and/or JRiver on the sMS-100, which UPnP control point are you using?

You may be right about JRiver and DLNA streaming. It may be transcoding to DoP.

There are no indicators on the sMS-100 showing what it's playing.

I'm using BubbleUPNP as the control point.

Are there any plans for Minimserver to transcode DSD128? That's really all I'm missing.

Thanks again for a great product!!
(13-05-2014 19:27)clar2391 Wrote: [ -> ]You may be right about JRiver and DLNA streaming. It may be transcoding to DoP.

According to this page, the sMS-100 supports DSD/DoP. There is no mention of native DSD support.

Quote:Are there any plans for Minimserver to transcode DSD128? That's really all I'm missing.

I would need someone with suitable equipment to help me test this. Any offer would be gratefully accepted. Smile
(13-05-2014 21:44)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(13-05-2014 19:27)clar2391 Wrote: [ -> ]You may be right about JRiver and DLNA streaming. It may be transcoding to DoP.

According to this page, the sMS-100 supports DSD/DoP. There is no mention of native DSD support.

Quote:Are there any plans for Minimserver to transcode DSD128? That's really all I'm missing.

I would need someone with suitable equipment to help me test this. Any offer would be gratefully accepted. Smile

I appreciate the time you took looking into this and I'd be glad to help testing DSD128.
(13-05-2014 21:48)clar2391 Wrote: [ -> ]I appreciate the time you took looking into this and I'd be glad to help testing DSD128.

Thanks! I'll let you know when I have a test build.
(13-05-2014 19:27)clar2391 Wrote: [ -> ]Are there any plans for Minimserver to transcode DSD128? That's really all I'm missing.

This support is now available. To use it, you need to install MinimServer update 30 and MinimStreamer 0.4.
Reference URL's