MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Sonos + Minimserver compatibility
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to check something before trying it out, lest I mess up my music library.

In brief:

1) Started with Sonos and Sonos interface (and I assume Sonos server)
2) Tested out various CPs using Sonos and MinimServer (all worked fine)
3) Bought LinnDS - all this working with MinimServer/Streamer transcoding everything to 24 bit
4) Now want to incorporate the Sonos back into the system, in another room

My question is, will there be any problem in getting the Sonos back into my system? Specifically, if I re-install the Sonos software (and I assume the Sonos "server"), should I be able to have the Linn being fed transcoded 24-bit WAVs via MinimStreamer whilst the Sonos gets 16-bit FLACs from the same library?

I know I could just try it, but before I do I wanted to check that re-installing Sonos will not mess up anything.

Thanks in anticipation.
(01-05-2014 19:27)gnomus Wrote: [ -> ]I want to check something before trying it out, lest I mess up my music library.

In brief:

1) Started with Sonos and Sonos interface (and I assume Sonos server)
2) Tested out various CPs using Sonos and MinimServer (all worked fine)
3) Bought LinnDS - all this working with MinimServer/Streamer transcoding everything to 24 bit
4) Now want to incorporate the Sonos back into the system, in another room

My question is, will there be any problem in getting the Sonos back into my system? Specifically, if I re-install the Sonos software (and I assume the Sonos "server"), should I be able to have the Linn being fed transcoded 24-bit WAVs via MinimStreamer whilst the Sonos gets 16-bit FLACs from the same library?

I know I could just try it, but before I do I wanted to check that re-installing Sonos will not mess up anything.

Thanks in anticipation.

Where is the Sonos software installed? If it is installed on a different computer or mobile device (not running on the same NAS as MinimServer), I think it's likely that the Sonos software will access your NAS audio files in read-only mode using network file sharing. If so, there should be no conflict with MinimServer running on the NAS.
(01-05-2014 21:16)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Where is the Sonos software installed? If it is installed on a different computer or mobile device (not running on the same NAS as MinimServer), I think it's likely that the Sonos software will access your NAS audio files in read-only mode using network file sharing. If so, there should be no conflict with MinimServer running on the NAS.

The Sonos is installed on my Android tablet.
(01-05-2014 21:28)gnomus Wrote: [ -> ]The Sonos is installed on my Android tablet.

This should be OK. I suggest you start by choosing one file to play simultaneously on the Linn and the Sonos to make sure that concurrent access to the same file doesn't cause any problems.
(01-05-2014 22:01)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-05-2014 21:28)gnomus Wrote: [ -> ]The Sonos is installed on my Android tablet.

This should be OK. I suggest you start by choosing one file to play simultaneously on the Linn and the Sonos to make sure that concurrent access to the same file doesn't cause any problems.

Update: Sonos and Linn seem to be able to play the same (or different tracks) simultaneously.
(02-05-2014 08:11)gnomus Wrote: [ -> ]Update: Sonos and Linn seem to be able to play the same (or different tracks) simultaneously.

That's good news. I couldn't think of any reason why it wouldn't work, and it's good to have this positive confirmation.
Reference URL's