MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Transcoding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi

I have some 44.1kHz/24bit Alac files that are wrongly transcoded to 44.1kHz/1411kb/s WAV. I have checked the files with other tools and it would appear to only be a problem with MinimServer?
(26-03-2014 17:49)Mac User Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

I have some 44.1kHz/24bit Alac files that are wrongly transcoded to 44.1kHz/1411kb/s WAV. I have checked the files with other tools and it would appear to only be a problem with MinimServer?

Have you installed MinimStreamer and enabled transcoding? If so, what value are you using for the stream.transcode property?

What renderer and control point are you using?

What are trying to achieve? Do you want the files to be sent to the renderer as ALAC or as WAV?

If you want them to be sent as WAV, what do you think is wrong with how they are being sent at present?
(26-03-2014 18:10)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-03-2014 17:49)Mac User Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

Have you installed MinimStreamer and enabled transcoding? If so, what value are you using for the stream.transcode property?

What are trying to achieve? Do you want the files to be sent to the renderer as ALAC or as WAV?

If you want them to be sent as WAV, what do you think is wrong with how they are being sent at present?

Hi Simon
Thx for the prompt reply. I should have been clearer! The settings are as I want, the question is why the transcoding doesn't result in 2116 kb/s for 24 bit files?
(26-03-2014 18:16)Mac User Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simon
Thx for the prompt reply. I should have been clearer! The settings are as I want, the question is why the transcoding doesn't result in 2116 kb/s for 24 bit files?

Are you using wav24 in the stream.transcode property?

Where are you seeing that the bit rate is 1411 kb/s?

Does either the control point or renderer tell you that the audio being received is 24-bit WAV?
(26-03-2014 19:21)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-03-2014 18:16)Mac User Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simon

Are you using wav24 in the stream.transcode property?

Where are you seeing that the bit rate is 1411 kb/s?

Does either the control point or renderer tell you that the audio being received is 24-bit WAV?

Hi

No to the first question, just alac to wav. The renderer is a Naim NDX and the control point Naim n-stream on an iPad. The bit rate can be seen in the control point and is shown correctly (2116kb/s) with an alternative uPnP server?
(26-03-2014 19:52)Mac User Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

No to the first question, just alac to wav. The renderer is a Naim NDX and the control point Naim n-stream on an iPad. The bit rate can be seen in the control point and is shown correctly (2116kb/s) with an alternative uPnP server?

If you have alac:wav transcoding set, you should get 16-bit WAV from a 16-bit ALAC file and you should get 24-bit WAV from a 24-bit ALAC file. Is this a 16-bit or 24-bit ALAC file?

Please try removing the alac:wav setting and playing the same ALAC file from MinimServer. You will need to refresh the n-Stream cache and restart n-Stream to make sure you don't get the previous transcoded stream. When you play this file from MinimServer without transcoding, what bit rate do you see in the control point?
(27-03-2014 10:38)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-03-2014 19:52)Mac User Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

If you have alac:wav transcoding set, you should get 16-bit WAV from a 16-bit ALAC file and you should get 24-bit WAV from a 24-bit ALAC file. Is this a 16-bit or 24-bit ALAC file?

Please try removing the alac:wav setting and playing the same ALAC file from MinimServer. You will need to refresh the n-Stream cache and restart n-Stream to make sure you don't get the previous transcoded stream. When you play this file from MinimServer without transcoding, what bit rate do you see in the control point?

Hi Simon

This a Studio Master download from Linn and is 24bit Alac sampled at 44.1 kHz and when streamed without transcoding, the bit rates vary according to each file but, are all in excess of 1500kb/s so I am fairly confident the source files are good.
(27-03-2014 13:48)Mac User Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simon

This a Studio Master download from Linn and is 24bit Alac sampled at 44.1 kHz and when streamed without transcoding, the bit rates vary according to each file but, are all in excess of 1500kb/s so I am fairly confident the source files are good.

Please upload one track from this album to my FTP server. I will try it with alac:wav transcoding to see what bit rate I am getting. I will PM you the server details now.
(27-03-2014 14:50)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-03-2014 13:48)Mac User Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simon

Please upload one track from this album to my FTP server. I will try it with alac:wav transcoding to see what bit rate I am getting. I will PM you the server details now.

Thanks for uploading this file. MinimServer isn't reading the sample bit depth correctly, so it thinks this 24-bit file is a 16-bit file and transcodes it to a 16-bit WAV stream.

This bug will be fixed in the next update. Thanks for reporting this problem!
(27-03-2014 18:12)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-03-2014 14:50)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Please upload one track from this album to my FTP server. I will try it with alac:wav transcoding to see what bit rate I am getting. I will PM you the server details now.

Thanks for uploading this file. MinimServer isn't reading the sample bit depth correctly, so it thinks this 24-bit file is a 16-bit file and transcodes it to a 16-bit WAV stream.

This bug will be fixed in the next update. Thanks for reporting this problem!

Thx for the update Simon, glad to have been of help.

Kevin
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's