MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Odd behavior when playing genre - multiple songs added
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I just started testing MinimServer as my default DLNA provider. I have a headless Ubuntu server (x64) on the same network as my streamer Linn Majik DSM. The player is controlled via IOS devise.

The problem is when I try to play a music genre with more then one album in it. Instead of just loading the albums into the playlist, MinimServer loads the albums several times. So a genre with for example two albums and about 40 songs, results in a playlist of nearly 200 songs.

This Only happends when I have more then one albums in a genre and the more albums I have in a genre, the longer the playlist get. Also resulting in taking very long time to load the playlist.

This is info from the logfile:
8< -----------------
MinimServer 0.8.1 update 22, Copyright © 2012-2014 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_51-b31)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode)
Platform default charset is UTF-8
starting MinimServer
----------------- >8

Other then that, there's only a couple of warnings in the log file of songs that are not in the genre I'm trying to play.

Have you seen or heard of this before? I got the same behavior on two different Ubuntu servers, but a friend of mine with similar setup did not have this problem.

Cheers!
I think I know what is happening...
I get the same behavior when I try to play songs from one specific year.

This is how I do when I want to play a music genre (using Kinsky on my iOS devise):
1. In the root menu i select "Genre"
2. Scroll to "Funk" genre and hold my finger on that item so that the options in Kinsky comes up: Play Now / Play Next / Play Later / Cancel.

When I select "Play Now" I think this is what happens, because in the sub menu for a genre there are more menu items:
In "Funk it says: 3 albums / 37 items / Artist / Date / All Artists

What I think is happening is that MinimServer tries to load all the above info into one playlist and thus loops all the above info ("3 albums / 37 items / Artist / Date / All Artists").

Is that how it should work or might it be a "feature" (don't want to call it a bug)?

Cheers
(13-03-2014 09:06)Shutterstrom Wrote: [ -> ]I think I know what is happening...
I get the same behavior when I try to play songs from one specific year.

This is how I do when I want to play a music genre (using Kinsky on my iOS devise):
1. In the root menu i select "Genre"
2. Scroll to "Funk" genre and hold my finger on that item so that the options in Kinsky comes up: Play Now / Play Next / Play Later / Cancel.

When I select "Play Now" I think this is what happens, because in the sub menu for a genre there are more menu items:
In "Funk it says: 3 albums / 37 items / Artist / Date / All Artists

What I think is happening is that MinimServer tries to load all the above info into one playlist and thus loops all the above info ("3 albums / 37 items / Artist / Date / All Artists").

Is that how it should work or might it be a "feature" (don't want to call it a bug)?

Cheers

It is the control point (not MinimServer) that is looping though all the submenus underneath the Genre menu and loading duplicate copies of the tracks.

With traditional music servers that use a fixed hierachy for the browse tree, there would be only one browse path from the "Genre" menu down to each track. MinimServer provides multiple browse paths depending on your tagging and your previous selections (Intelligent Browsing), and you are getting a separate copy of the track for each of these browsing paths.

You have two options to avoid this duplication:

1) Use a control point that has been designed to avoid loading duplicates, such as BubbleDS on Android.

2) Set the listViewAlbums property in MinimServer to a very large number such as 9999, then restart MinimServer. This effectively disables Intelligent Browsing by presenting you with a flat list of albums from each menu selection such as Genre, Artist, etc.
Reference URL's