MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Limitation on resolution of album art?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm almost sure this is a limitation of my control point (Yamaha's NP controller), but I thought I'd ask anyway: I just started ripping CDs to my NAS drive. When viewed on the control point, sometimes the album art shows up, and sometimes it doesn't. When I started digging into the metadata, it looks like a jpeg resolution issue: art work only seems to show up when the resolution is something like 500x500 or less. Is this a limitation of the music server or the control point, or is something else going on here?
(25-02-2014 01:16)mikey_at_swb Wrote: [ -> ]I'm almost sure this is a limitation of my control point (Yamaha's NP controller), but I thought I'd ask anyway: I just started ripping CDs to my NAS drive. When viewed on the control point, sometimes the album art shows up, and sometimes it doesn't. When I started digging into the metadata, it looks like a jpeg resolution issue: art work only seems to show up when the resolution is something like 500x500 or less. Is this a limitation of the music server or the control point, or is something else going on here?

This might be related to DLNA profiles for album art. These profiles are as follows:

width <= 160 and height <= 160 : thumbnail
width <= 640 and height <= 480 : small
width <= 1024 and height <= 768 : medium
width <= 4096 and height <= 4096 : large

MinimServer sets the correct DLNA profile in most cases, but there might be some cases where it doesn't. If MinimServer is setting the correct profile for your files, it sounds like your control point might be able to handle only the small and thumbnail profiles.

Many servers have the capability to downscale album art to accommodate control points that can't handle high-resolution images. At present, MinimServer sends all album art images at their original resolution. Adding support for downscaling (and possibly support for caching of downscaled images) is on my to-do list for MinimServer, but I don't think it's likely to happen in the near term.
(25-02-2014 10:26)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(25-02-2014 01:16)mikey_at_swb Wrote: [ -> ]I'm almost sure this is a limitation of my control point (Yamaha's NP controller), but I thought I'd ask anyway: I just started ripping CDs to my NAS drive. When viewed on the control point, sometimes the album art shows up, and sometimes it doesn't. When I started digging into the metadata, it looks like a jpeg resolution issue: art work only seems to show up when the resolution is something like 500x500 or less. Is this a limitation of the music server or the control point, or is something else going on here?

This might be related to DLNA profiles for album art. These profiles are as follows:

width <= 160 and height <= 160 : thumbnail
width <= 640 and height <= 480 : small
width <= 1024 and height <= 768 : medium
width <= 4096 and height <= 4096 : large

MinimServer sets the correct DLNA profile in most cases, but there might be some cases where it doesn't. If MinimServer is setting the correct profile for your files, it sounds like your control point might be able to handle only the small and thumbnail profiles.

Many servers have the capability to downscale album art to accommodate control points that can't handle high-resolution images. At present, MinimServer sends all album art images at their original resolution. Adding support for downscaling (and possibly support for caching of downscaled images) is on my to-do list for MinimServer, but I don't think it's likely to happen in the near term.

Got it. I've "solved" this problem by switching my control point from Yamaha NP to 2player for Android, which has a prettier UI, and seems to have no problems with high res album art. The Yamaha controller works fine (except for the art), but it's got a pretty spartan UI. However, it does let me turn my player on/off and control the volume from my Android devices, but I can live with switching between the two apps.
Reference URL's